back to article Asda knocks 20 quid off Kobo WiFi

Asda will be selling Kobo's most basic e-book reader for just 67 quid this Christmas, the retail giant wanted us to tell you. The Kobo includes Wi-Fi but lacks the touchscreen sported by its slightly pricier, better big bro, the Kobo Touch, one of Reg Hardware's favourite e-book readers this year. Kobo WiFi ebook reader …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. chriswakey
    Thumb Up

Excellent bit of kit.

I paid this for mine from Borders before they went belly up (decent exchange rate at the time)

The battery life is a little dodgy on it, and occasionally it'll freeze if indexing a load of new content, but apart from that, worth every penny.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I had the freeze

The latest firmware update fixed it, and offered a shedload of new useful features too.

I think you only get the firmwsre update if you plug it into a PC and run the KoboDesktop.

1. chriswakey

I've got the latest already, but when I put more than, say, 30 books on in one go, it usually locks up when indexing them, requiring a full reboot.

Still worth it though.

2. b166er

And will probably disappear as quickly as the Toshiba laptop you punted for them too :(

3. Tom Chiverton 1
    FAIL

Full fail compliant

No results listed for it : http://direct.asda.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-ASDA-Site/default/Search-Show?q=kobo

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Full fail compliant

Ahem. That's because it does go on sale until Friday, as it says in the story.

1. Tom Chiverton 1
        WTF?

Maybe you should have held the story till then then :-)

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge
        Devil

Booooooooga...

I bought 2 from WHSmith for Xmas presents. Ok. Oh well, you cannot win every time. Though to be honest - I'd rather have my money go to WHSmith than Wallmart.

I have read about 10 books on mine in 3 different languages since I bough it in October. It is definitely the right choice (in preference to Kindle) if you read stuff in languages different from English.

It is also the kit to read while commuting - much easier to hold in a crowded train/tube where everyone is elbowing you for space. The embossed back helps a lot there.

Excellent bit of kit - very pleased with it :)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Down Asdas

Think I'll stick to buying bread and milk down at Associated Dairies.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No brainer purchase.

3million books on Kobo 750k on Kindle. Same hardware, same screen, no lock-in and cheaper.

No brainer to me.... Why would ANYONE want a locked down Kindle?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No one would

...so its lucky they are not locked down and I can put whatever books I want on my Kindle.

"Corporations are so evil they prevent me processing facts!"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

???Erm

it's locked to Kindle and MOBI. You can't read any of the 3m EPUB books, nor can you borrow for freee from UK libraries like you can with the Kobo or the Sony...

The reality is, you can put non-protected rubbish content on it, or only pay for books you want to read only from Amazon (or resort to breaking DRM and reading EPUB, which seems bizzare when EPUB readers are cheaper and better).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

or... just use Calibre.

Seriously, if someone's capable of buying epub ebooks online, and owns a kindle, is it that far-fetched to imagine them being able to use Calibre???

Why is it that every frickin time an article regarding ebook readers appears that it's only a matter of time before some ignorant muppet posts a comment along the lines of "kindle locks you in".

It's perfectly feasible to own a kindle and have no involvement with amazon, ever!

(before anyone shouts - you can buy kindles the old-skool way via john lewis etc)

6. Euchrid

Very tempted by this price point

After doing a fair bit of research and having a go with a few e-book readers, I was leaning towards the Kobo Touch – fits my needs and liked the touch screen interface. An extra £20 over the price of latest Kindle or the Kobo WiFi (out of those two, I prefer the former) seemed pretty reasonable, but as it’s now £40, I’m likely to be a cheapskate (I mean, look for the most value for money).

7. Tom 7

As the boss of Sainsbury's said

keep your nerve.

Don't buy anything until the pre-xmas sales.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Rameses Niblick the Third (KKWWMT)
    FAIL

Is nothing sacred?

I prefer to follow the example of one Bill Bailey:

"HEY, ASDA! I ain't gonna be your bitch!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMB7jzFDQCs

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Fantastic reader + more content than Kindle + no lockin

= winner

Kobo has 3m titles up for grabs vs Kindle's 750k.

With identical hardware to the £89 kindle, but £20 cheaper, more content and NO lock-in, it's a no brainer surely?

11. tmTM

Worth Mentioning

Wh-Smith now have the wifi on at £69.99 and the touch at £99.99.

On sale now, so no need to rush to Asda on Friday.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

and as to ASDA...

on Friday, all they have in stores is good-looking POS for the e-reader. When do they get the stock, you might ask a well-informed ASDA employee? A shrug.

So, let's look at ASDA website:

(in red letters):

This item is available to order however it will not be despatched until 12 Dec 2011

And you might want to use their oh-so-f-advertised features (you can collect from your local Asda store) and you see a message in black:

In store collection not available!

So, you ask yourself, how about finding out from the horse's mouth? You dial their (free, great) contact line:

They have no f... clue, what their (supposed best-seller) is, and then, it's hardly surprising to expect them to know when it arrives, or if it's going to be available in stores, or is it going to be an "exclusive" in their online shop. But hey, in case you want to take a risk and order for home delivery, this will be only £2.50 and will take between 2 - 5 working days. Or more, if they use postal services. So I would NOT bank on this box landing under the X-mas tree before X-mas :)

And as nobody at the Britain's favorite supermarket seems able to tell me if and when they're going to have it available in store, I guess a walk to the nearest WH Smiths is the best solution :)

I'd head for the

This topic is closed for new posts.