back to article British shoppers are doing it on the interwebs

The British are taking to online shopping faster than most other countries, according to a new study. Over 75 per cent of UK shoppers preferred to buy stuff like CDs, DVDs, books and video games online, compared with 65 per cent globally, a study by KPMG found. Six in 10 British respondents did some of their grocery shopping …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Moore

However...

I was one of the first people in Ireland to do all my Christmas shopping online back in the late 90s. This year I am doing all my shopping in local bricks-and-mortar businesses.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Last week I went to the town centre to nip into boots...The car park had a minimum stay of 2hours and they wanted £3.50 for it....This is reason number 1 for not shopping in real shops (can't park, and when you can they wan't your first borns testicles gold plated and sent to the council offices for payment)...

Reason 2 is the crowds, I don't mind crowds that much, but when you are queued up and down 3 aisles of HMV just to buy a DVD that you can order for cheaper online it just isn't worth it.

Reason 3, the price, stuff is cheaper online...fact.

Reason 4, they never have what you actually want in the shops..."need a size 11 shoe? how about this size 10 one sir", how about I just go home and order it from somewhere that actually has stock and doesn't have the cheek to tell me they can get on delivered for the day after I need it.

Bricks and Mortar stores are only good for providing excellent customer service...which very few of them do so it's hardly a surprise that people are moving away from them.

1. JulianB
      Unhappy

"providing excellent customer service...which very few of them do"

Yes, my first thought on reading that Brits are taking to online shopping faster than the rest of the world was that maybe it's because real-life shopping is less pleasant in Britain than elsewhere.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I do all mine on the web too

Lets see a few clicks and a bit of typing and maybe a slightly slow server versus wading through hundreds of people who are happy to elbow you out of the way to be sure to get the goods they want along with loads of out of control kids.

No contest.

Online shopping wins, flawless victory.

4. John A Blackley

Not surprised

With average network speeds in the UK, it's one way to spend those looooooong winter evenings.

5. Peter2 Silver badge

Surveying the postman also tells you this. It's probably a more reliable source as well. The poor git reckons there is a significant rise in post over last christmas as everybody does shopping online.

Bad news for our overpriced retail stores I guess, however the January sales should be impressive.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like