back to article Smartphone-shot movie guns for cinema release

The majority of films shot on cameraphones end up in YouTube's vaults, lost forever among grainy videos of gigs and scenes of animals doing stupid things. However, if amateur filmmakers took things more seriously, their footage could end up in cinemas across the country. Director Hooman Khalili is bidding to do exactly that. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Little Me

grow up....

like so many of these hip and modern things.. who cares about the camera, the lens, the special type of artificial snow..... show me the film! So they taped a camera (which happens to be in a phone) to a lens.... next...

unless you are a camera operator at which it becomes I suspect a case of. very nice toy for a student project. next...

2. A. Lewis

Am I just an old cynic, or does this smell like a Nokia Viral marketing campaign?

1. Bad Beaver
      Thumb Up

Hypernaked have done great stuff for Nokia N8. In fact they have just won an award for their integrated campaign "push snowboarding" . Deservedly. Go check it out.

Anyway, this is a unique project and the phone aspect is a nice touch. AFAIK, there still is no phone out there that can reach up to what the N8 can do in terms of _overall_ picture-quality.

I'd like to see that movie.

2. Darryl

Well, I can't comment on your being an old cynic (although I'd hazard a guess that you are, like I am), but I agree on the viral marketing thing.

3. Jan 0 Silver badge
    FAIL

Whoopie Do!?

Oh great, this saves me the trouble of converting video to the resolution of my 'phone.

Oh wait, what if I want to watch it on a bigger screen?

1. Bad Beaver
      Facepalm

Indeed, you fail.

Don't diss phones you have no clue about ;) The Nokia N8 has HMDI out, as does the E7. Adapter comes included with the purchase.

4. MJI Silver badge

My comment vanished

Not even listed in my forums - so must entered thin air.

What a silly idea!

Why mess about using a phone camera with there poor resolution and over compression?

Would be better off using a £200 Mini-DV camera.

My last holiday video had to use some phone footage and the quality was horrible and mixing 30FPS low def duff with 25 FPS HDV was horrible.

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Holmes

When is a cameraphone not a cameraphone?

So what they've proved is that a phone cam is useless for professional purposes, due to the shitty optics.

<-----

This is "shot on a cameraphone" in the same way that Samuel Pierpont Langley's "Aerodrome" was the first aircraft (i.e. it *could* be made to fly, by making a few changes in the light of information gained from the Wrights' work.).

6. MJI Silver badge

You can get cheap MiniDV cameras for less than the price of the phone.

I had to use a couple of phone clips in my last holiday video, shockinly bad compared to the rest using HDV.

7. Erik N.
    Facepalm

Gimmick

Little known actor/radio personality decides to be a director and uses a gimmick to get attention. The fund raising bit on his website is a hoot.

I'm not saying that it is a bad thing to use cameras, lenses, and filters to achieve an effect. I knew someone who did several short films using a Fisher Price Pixelvision camera because of the look of the final product. He also did quite a bit of post in After Effects.

Hell some real directors have overused filters. I wanted to walk out of Star Trek Generations because of the heavy handed use of colored lens filters. I seem to remember the director apologizing at a later date for that.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like