back to article RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook rooted

The BlackBerry PlayBook tablet has been rooted, just like the Amazon Kindle Fire and other fondleslabs before it, in a development that promises tech enthusiasts the ability to install apps of their choosing, rather than being stuck with those already pre-loaded onto the device. Gadget enthusiasts have posted a video as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Intentional release?

I mean they can't give Playbooks away, but if somehow the device got rooted and users could install Android on them.......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Why not

just by an Android tablet then?

1. Chris Parsons

er...buy!

2. ratfox
    Coat

"unleash tool to penetrate tablet"?

That's all you can find? Come on, I'm sure you can do better than that!

3. Joe K
    FAIL

Idiots

""RIM is currently investigating this claim and has been in contact with one of the security researchers to discuss it. If it is determined that the claim is accurate, RIM will follow its standard response process to develop and release a software update that is designed to minimise adverse impact to our customers or carrier partners."

Yes, why not remove the only reason to buy your unloved piece of crap, and render it useless again.

Nice thinking there, Einstein.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's just hope that RIM realise

"a software update that is designed to minimise adverse impact to our customer.." = do nothing - or even promote the jailbreak.

Unfortunately the end of the sentence "...or to carrier partners' will mean the complete opposite stance being taken.

Let's see who they wish to please the most..

5. CmdrX3
    Thumb Up

Well that's good news then...

The eight people that bought one will be well chuffed.

6. figure 11

i own a playbook (nice kit at 250 quid) and using developer mode you can install unapproved software without any dodgy tools. I cant see how "rooting" it would be necessary unoess someone is determined to put android on it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

RIMMED

"If such a tool is released, RIM will investigate it," ...

... and let it flourish in the hope it may actually boost sales.

Lets face it, they have nothing to lose they haven't lost already.

It's not like punters are clamouring to get their grubby mits on the devices, but perhaps, with a decent OS and some decent apps, sales will go up.

Best tack they can take with this is to just ignore it and hope they can shift a few more units.

£200 for an Android tablet - not too shabby, but £200 for a vanilla playbook?

FAIL. (There's not enough Apps for that...)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am very disappointed in this article and am seriously thinking of cancelling my subscription. Not one RIM-job joke?! Not one! Standards are slipping. Harrumph!

9. Morg
    FAIL

Security Risk OMGNOES !!!

I love how they treat that as a security risk or whatever .. when in the end all that means is that people can eventually use what they paid for.

And that's with them getting all their sales and all ... really ridiculous.

I'd even go as far as saying a full post about this on the register is already too much attention.

It's not like anyone cares what amazon or RIM say about stuff that is both inevitable and uninteresting ...

10. Gil Grissum
    Pint

Stepchild of the Tablet genre

It's not like anyone has stood in line to buy one of these POS Playbook Tablets. They're not selling. RIM should want them to get rooted and people to tinker with them so as to increase interest in them. Preventing that will kill the tiny bit of interest that rooting it, has caused. I wouldn't bother with one until they go on Fire sale.

11. aurizon
    Unhappy

As usual - braindead

The shining wits at RIM, stuck their heads in the sand for five years as the Evil Empire (Apple) gathered strength as RIM fell to pieces until RIM is an afterthought in the USA Canada and lives on expiring contracts. I have friend who bought an iPhone and iPad and kept their fading blackberries - all the while transferring contacts. These contracts will be allowed to lapse, unrenewed, and RIM subscriber base will go into free fall. The apparent respite of sales in other countries will suffer the same fate as the USA/Canada - but far more rapidly with the dual assault by Android and Apple.

Why does RIM cling to this stupidity? Ossified management that grew as a one trick cowboy and now "Ringling Brothers" three rings will decimate them in 2012. They have no escape, none at all.

12. goldcd

"minimise adverse impact to our customers"

I assume this means that they intend to de-root the playbooks belonging to their customers that have intentionally rooted them?

13. DJ
    Happy

What?! Both of them?

'nuff said.

14. aurizon
    Unhappy

As usual - braindead

The shining wits at RIM, stuck their heads in the sand for five years as the Evil Empire (Apple) gathered strength as RIM fell to pieces until RIM is an afterthought in the USA /Canada and lives on expiring contracts. I have friends who bought an iPhone and iPad and kept their fading blackberries - all the while transferring contacts. These contracts will be allowed to lapse, unrenewed, and RIM subscriber base will go into free fall. The apparent respite of sales in other countries will suffer the same fate as the USA/Canada - but far more rapidly with the dual assault by Android and Apple.

Why does RIM cling to this stupidity? Ossified management that grew as a one trick cowboy and now "Ringling Brothers" three rings will decimate them in 2012. They have no escape, none at all.

This topic is closed for new posts.