back to article 'I'm the first to admit that we've made a bunch of mistakes'

This was the week when an Android app developer claimed he had conclusive proof that millions of smartphones are secretly logging key presses, locations and even messages. And Best Buy hoped to smack Dixons around a little before it runs back overseas with its tail between its legs, with a big closing down sale. This was also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Armando 123
    Devil

The UN is seen as a symbol for security and trust for many millions of people around the world.

Name three who understand basic logic.

1. Killraven

Ridicule is relative...

Rather depends on location. The more stable your part of the world is, the more of a joke the UN seems.

Enjoy your peaceful life.

1. Armando 123

Peaceful life? I live half a mile from a member of the Indiana Pacers and there's a Penn State alum one block over. I've quickly turned out house into a compound.

2. big_D Silver badge
    Facepalm

Who are these people? The last Kardashian clan I heard of were on Star Trek.

That was my reaction to. I've heard it mentioned a few times in podcasts and thought it was some sort of ST spinoff... I was shocked to find out that there was no Nana Visitor with that cute wrinkle on her nose. :-(

1. Steve Evans

<aol>

Me too

</aol>

2. Eponymous Cowherd
      Joke

Nana Visitor....

Always made me think of Meals on Wheels.......

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

It's that surprise h in the middle.

Read the headline and thought "Didn't know Craig was a big DS9 fan"

4. Jon Bright
    Stop

So, not much understanding of how CC chargebacks work, then...

"Operation Robin Hood will take credit cards and donate to the 99% as well as various charities around the globe. The banks will be forced to reimburse the people there [sic] money back."

...at which point the banks will initiate a chargeback against the merchant account of "the 99%" (who I suspect haven't actually got one) and "various charities" (most of whom probably do and probably don't want a bunch of chargebacks chalked up against it).

5. Gerhard Mack
    FAIL

nuts

It's clear that anonymous and friends have no idea (or don't care) how the banking system works. If they donate money from a stolen card to a charity then not only will the charity not get to keep the money, they will be charged a chargeback fee by the bank as insult to injury. The banks are _NEVER_ on the hook for the money, only the merchant and this stunt will only hurt the people they are pretending to want to help.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well...

It's not strictly true is it?

Ok, if you steal a credit card and do the transaction then it's easily reversed. but if you wash the money, send it between banks, buy shares, sell them quickly etc. and then donate it to charity then it's practically untraceable.

Still... TeamPois0n are evidently a talented hackers, but we'll have to wait and see if these guys can pull of this off, sounds very complicated.

1. Sooty

not quite that easy

"Ok, if you steal a credit card and do the transaction then it's easily reversed. but if you wash the money, send it between banks, buy shares, sell them quickly etc. and then donate it to charity then it's practically untraceable."

You steal a card, and you do a transaction... to where? It needs to be something you control to go any further. Then you launder the money, somehow, and finally donate it to charity.

Wherever you did the transaction to is going to end up with a reversal and chargeback fee... There's a good reason stolen cards are used to pay for physical goods, which are then generally sold 'off the grid' for a loss!

Banks may compete with each other, but try and cheat them and they soon work together to trace it through their systems. The only way to hide it is to have a believable, physical, gap in the chain somewhere... dirty money becomes cash somehow, Then the cash goes back into the system in a plausible manner!

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

When you give 50 lifted Dixons TVs to Oxfam, remember to register for Gift Aid

with your name and address, so that the tax man can give the charity a bonus out of your previously paid tax.

This is either a stupid, stupid, stupid idea, or a moderately clever wheeze by bank robbers. I also expect to see it in advance-fee fraud (419) spam e-mails beginning probably yesterday. Or maybe that's what it IS.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      FAIL

> It's clear that anonymous and friends have no idea (or don't care) how the banking system works.

They don't have much of a clue how the WORLD works, come to that.

6. zen1

'I'm the first to admit that we've made a bunch of mistakes' - Bitch Boy...

OK I nominate this for the quote of the year, just because it shows just how dillusional he is. I mean when I think of a "mistake" I think of little things like I forgot to tie my shoes, fell and broke an arm. Or, I accidently under paid on my income taxes... Or I mistakenly flushed flushed my wifes cartier tennis bracelet down the drain..

What Face Book did was NO mistake.

1. Craig 2

"What Face Book did was NO mistake."

If you look at it another way, his mistake was thinking they could get away with it.

7. mky
    Pint

I welcome our space worm underlords.

8. kain preacher

@Gerhard Mack

It's worse than that. If the charity gets to many charge back the credit card companies will flag them and then good by CC donations.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How do they help anyone with that?

Even if Anonymous/Teampoison (sorry, can't be bothered to spell 'properly') were able to pull that off? How would it help anyone getting their credit card blocked due to fraudulent transactions (which certainly will happen)? I fail to see how that is doing any service to people on holidays, abroad, or those facing major embarrassment in their favourite shop around the corner, when their credit cards are declined as a consequence of this shit.

To all hackers out there: You do it, just because you can. Don't try to sell your criminal activities as a service to the people. It's nonsense.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like