back to article MS preps critical Vista patch for Tuesday

Microsoft plans to issue two security patches next Tuesday, one of which earns the dreaded rating of critical, in this year's first edition of its regular Patch Tuesday update cycle. The critical update covers a flaw that allows the remote execution of malicious software on vulnerable clients, including Windows Vista systems. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shaun

There goes my uptime..........

4 months uptime on my little Vista box so far - Oh well :)

2. Dave
    Gates Horns

Someone figured it out

Rumour has it that someone's managed to figure out how to make Vista work properly. The patch is to address this issue and replace it with something even more bizarre and difficult to use.

(with apologies to Douglas Adams)

3. Ted Treen
    Gates Horns

A hole

Plugging holes in a colander gives:-

a) A feeling of achievement

b) An enhanced sense of security

c) The impression that the colander-maker cares

but it still ain't gonna float...

4. neil
    Linux

Re: Uptime

Is that just the time taken to copy a couple of files?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

or

8 days uptime in 2008!

6. Steve

Comments disabled

Given the speed at which MS respond to problems, maybe somebody had the foresight to realise that the comments section would be most likely just give virus writers a nice list of unpatched vulnerabilities to work there way through.

Then again, maybe I being too generous and they just didn't want hacks like El Reg keeping a running total of exactly how many reported but unpatched holes their OS has or how long it takes them to fix something once it has been reported.

7. Colin Millar
    Go

Updating the malicious software removal tool

But fdisk works pefectly well already

8. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Panic Attack ....... MS Cracked? :-)

"Rumour has it that someone's managed to figure out how to make Vista work properly. The patch is to address this issue and replace it with something even more bizarre and difficult to use." .... maybe probably definitely more than just a rumour, Dave, and closing the stable door after the horse has bolted is quite bizarre rather than working with Crack Vista Drivers.

9. Danger Mouse
    Stop

Micro$haft aka Jeremy Beadle/Ashton Kurtcher

Dear Micro$haft,

Come on now, this Vista comedy sketch has dragged on far to long, it's stopped being funny. Don't you think it's about time that you end this 'prank' and release the real OS which you promised us all for so long, you know, the real one with inherently improved security to minimise the need for regular fixes/updates, increased performance and usability etc etc?.

I don't mind admitting that your previos episodes of Beadles About (aka Punk'd for readers under 25) were very funny, W4W, NT3.5, Win ME & Home Server all had me in stiches.

However, If you intend to repeat the same gag with the new server platform series, I for one will be writing to my MP to demand a refund of my licencing fee.

Yours,

Mr S.P Acehopper

10. adnim

re-write

"The critical update covers a flaw that allows the remote execution of malicious software on vulnerable clients, including Windows Vista systems. The patch is also a critical update for Windows XP"

If the code base of vista was a complete re-write from the ground up with a focus on security, which one of these statements is true?

1) It is pure co-incidence that this remote execution flaw exists in XP too.

2) m$ are full of it and vista is just XP in a party frock.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comments Disabled

"Microsoft has taken the unusual step of disabling comments on the blog, something allowed on other Redmond-run sites. Interested parties are invited to submit feedback by email instead."

Maybe Andrew Orlowski is writing Microsofts Security Blog!

(Why isn't there a Pot-Kettle-Black icon?)

12. Mike Crawshaw
    Coat

Patch Details

I've managed to sneak a look at the patch ahead of time. It makes the OS stable, addresses the copy issue, reduces the bloat, and increases dramatically the hardware/driver incompatability problems.

It's called XP.

13. Andrew Badera
    Gates Halo

Commenting not disabled

Only ANONYMOUS commenting is disabled. Sign and and comment to your delight.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Vista is not serious

Vista in my view is now aimed at the kiddy market. I don't know any company that has or will upgrade to it there is no incentive. The only users are those that had it thrust upon them when they got their new PC and been fighting with it ever since.

If you must use windows then win2k is still much faster, lighter, stronger, better then XP or over bloated Vista. When you dig deep inside the layers fat of XP and Vista you will find a lean win2k kernel which flies on a gig a ram. It boots up and shuts down in seconds rather than minutes too on modern PC's and still runs 95% of MS software.

Otherwise anyone even the slightest bit security conscious is already running Linux.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Before Beadle

> Beadles About (aka Punk'd for readers under 25)

I'm over 50 so I still remember it as Candid Camera

This topic is closed for new posts.