back to article Geek seeks cash for Top Trumps-style CPU game

Nowadays, Top Trumps packs are filled with licensed brand tat, but readers keen to re-live the days when TT's decks were full of real stuff, like supercars, jet fighters, locomotives, missiles and such, will be able to do so with a new tech-inspired set, if one Harry Mylonadis gets his way. Or, rather, if he gets $3500 (£2232 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Citizen Kaned

wow....

i bet these fly off the shelves....

seriously. will ANYONE want any of these?

1. Thomas 4
      Boffin

Fuck yes

This is so unbelievably geeky - I MUST HAVE ONE!

2. M Gale

This is the Internet.

You seem new here. Hi.

1. Citizen Kaned
        Happy

:)

i didnt think the internet had gotten that geeky though...

how will all the uber geeks play with each other on the interwebs from their mother's houses? :) dont you need to leave the house and meet another real person to play?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

IRL? I don't even need to leave the house to pay Magic: The Gathering.

3. LuMan
      Stop

@Kaned

Er, you're asking that question on a tech forum where G33K T-shirts are standard issue? I think you'll find that a fair few people will.

1. harrymylo

To be more exact, 129 so far :)

4. Dave Murray

Hell yeah!

Provided he doesn't get sued off the face of the planet by the owners of Top Trumps this is the perfect gift for us 30 and 40 something geeks who were kids back in the 70s and 80s.

1. harrymylo

No need to worry about that. I'm not breaching any of the Top Trumps copyrights or using their trademarks in any way. The gameplay is something used by a lot of different companies.

Type geeks and fashion geeks already have their trump card decks.

Why shouldn't we?

5. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

I wouldn't turn my nose up at a deck if they are priced reasonably when/if they hit retail. Even if I didn't "play" with them they would be interesting to flick through.

Though if the subject is too niche for you then Top Trumps do a Smurfs deck which the website assures me features favourite characters such as "Brainy, Lazy, Papa Smurf and of course Smurfette." and it is apparently "Smurftastic".

6. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge
      Boffin

All he needs to do...

... is advertise it on slashdot, and his fortune is made...

2. jake Silver badge

Gawd/ess ...

Aren't there better uses of column inches?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Shhhh, or they'll write another mobile phone story!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's what your wife says, too.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
      Mushroom

Er, no.

1) Geeky Top Trumps is *exactly* the sort of thing I expect to find here.

2) Column inches are not a finite resource in an online rag so it's a daft question.

1. jake Silver badge

@TeeCee

"1) Geeky Top Trumps is *exactly* the sort of thing I expect to find here."

True, expected. Not all that valuable, though.

"2) Column inches are not a finite resource in an online rag so it's a daft question."

Explain the spotty comments posting, then?

3. Lamont Cranston

"licensed brand tat"

Got your rose-tinted glasses on? Go back 25 years, or so, and you'd find my friends and I playing the Star Wars deck, at the exclusion of all others (except maybe the Horror deck), not least because the presence of the detailed stats was proof positive that the US were building X-Wings and a Death Star

The news presence of Reagan's Star Wars defence programme may have influenced our thinking. That, and being 8-year old boys...

1. Jim 59

Awesome

Go back 35 years for the most awesome TT ever - TANKS. The best tank was the one with the giant bridge welded on top. And no branding tat.

2. JeevesMkII

Is there an "I spy" book of top trump decks? Ultimate 80s nostalgia potential right there. Perhaps someone should raise some cash to make one.

4. Pete 39
    Big Brother

I read - "Ha! My Z80A beats your 6502" as "HAL My Z80A beats your 6502", which is possibly why it wouldn't open the pod bay door.

5. HP Cynic

I played some Top Trumps this weekend: I'd forgotten how utterly terrible it is!

1. Citizen Kaned

:)

i play them still occasionally with a friend of mine who i see rarely.

the odd thing is i beat him 90% of the time. which, considering its all just random luck, is a little odd :)

1. harrymylo

Not always luck... Depends on the design of the deck. I made sure that there is balance so there are no terrible cards. So my Z80 can trump your Phenom II in 3 categories :)

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

"...Lamborghini Countach card..."

I remember the Land Speed record vehicles deck. There was a thing in there called "The Blue Flame", which was basically a rocket on wheels, that trounced all-comers. Faster, more powerful, more expensive, etc ad nauseum. Finding that in your hand was like manna from heaven.....

....until some SOB asked the dreaded question; "Number of wheels?".......bloody thing was a trike.

1. jake Silver badge

@TeeCee

The Blue Flame had four wheels.

7. killzone
    Meh

Pfft. Top Trumps?

Zombie Fluxx is where it's at.

8. Eponymous Cowherd
    Holmes

My Z80A beats your 6502

obviously.

1. heyrick Silver badge
      Boffin

Tick for tick, the 6502 gets more done. It takes a 4MHz Z80 to run the port of BBC BASIC at about the same speed as a 2MHz 6502...

2. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

Err... no.... (not always anyways)

Wanna race? Your 3.5 Mhz spekky versus my 1 Mhz 6502?

9. geekclick
    Thumb Up

Pledged I have!

I have to have a set! TT was one of my favourites as a kid :)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nimitz

Nimitz - End of.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hehehe...

yep... all those. B52, SR 71, Modulo.. what else was there?

11. Bluey1701
    Pint

Perhaps he could include an 'Overclock' card, which if produced instantly doubles all your cards scores. Could get you out of some sticky low-spec situations

12. MJI Silver badge

Ace Trumps

A lot of us had these.

I had a complete set of British Rail Locos stolen but they left the DMUs.

F1 - if you had the worst car you chose capacity 3000cc

Supercars my favourites were the Countach and the Monteverdi Hai

13. harrymylo
    Thumb Up

Thank you!

Guys thank you for all the support and a special thank you to Tony Smith for the article.

The last 24 hours have been incredible...

14. Audrey S. Thackeray

Kenny Dalglish

That is all.

15. musojon74
    Thumb Up

Yes!

I will be having a set or 3. That is all. Will they be out / deliverable in time for Christmas... Hmmmm

16. AndrueC Silver badge
    Trollface

Sounds like fun in a geeky kind of way. As we all know the Z80A wipes the floor with the 6502 on everything.

17. Eddie Edwards
    Unhappy

Odd choice of CPUs

I would have thought he'd go for more nostalgia. It's mostly Intel and AMD x86 parts. No ARM done.

Still it does show that Kickstarter is an effective way to get pre-orders (and publicity!) He's well on the way in only 2 days.

18. Bodestone

Ahh, memories..

Of getting the aircraft carrier and thinking "don't pick speed, don't pick speed"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like