back to article Something awful happens to somethingawful.com

Somethingawful.com - the best place to go for something awful - is recovering from Domain Name Server problems yesterday that left the site unaccessible for many users. Its forum included six pages of annoyed users who struggled to get onto the site. It appears the problem was caused by changes to a DNS server at Network …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. J Jones
    Paris Hilton

Yawn!

Need we say more?

2. Dana W
    Thumb Up

Good!

It looks like these asshats finally have started pissing off the wrong people with their stupid pranks and slander. heres hoping they see a lot more if it.

3. Morely Dotes
    Flame

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of wankers

Furthermore, anyone doing direct business with Netwank (sic) Solutions deserves what they get; it's not as if there haven't been dozens of news articles over the past several years suggesting that NetSol is a bunch of incompent goits.

4. James Pearson

Why the hell are they using Network Solutions?

title

5. James Cleveland

Re: Good!

Oh noes! The interenets will fall!

6. John
    Flame

Sounds like someone here was an ALOD winner.

I also like how you accuse everyone that reads SA of being a wanker.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Upset the wrong people, eh?

For what it's worth, we either think one of the admins was using his own personal password and it's been phished/guessed, or there was some messup at NS. I doubt we'll ever find out. Although, knowing how useless the admin team at SA (answer: very) is, maybe there was some network tomfoolery after all.

You can read some more about the event at sass.buttes.org - have a nice day.

8. ben edwards

the point of this article is?

I saw words strung together, but the overall content seems to be missing...sounds like the local BOfH got drunk, misclicked, and is trying to recover by blaming the invisible hacker under the bed.

9. Smitty Werben Jueger Man Jenson
    Unhappy

@ Good!

What's the matter Dana? Did they make fun of your furry balloon fetish webcomic?

10. Jeremy

@ John.

No, really, they are all wankers.

11. Alex

SASS

Guarantied to post in the comments section of any site any time there's a mention of SA.

Quick, I think Fragmaster is uploading a new video on Youtube!!

12. James
    Alien

Blame the user

Come on... Somehow I think that we are only hearing half the story here.

They are reporting that somehow there nameservers got reset. Okay... If this a fault of Network Solutions (who I rarely deal with) more than likely a massive number of nameservers on other accounts would've been also reset and there would be a *massive* uproar (NetworkSolutions still is one of the biggest registrars out there). But a massive outage hasn't occurred. Would a massive glitch at NetworkSolutions affect just one unlucky account? Not likely.

More likely is the user. I've dealt with users. I'll admit that some technology can be challenging. Some people deal with it rationally. Some people don't. Look at driving and the boneheaded things people do when driving a simple car. Some people refuse to own up to their own mistakes and for whatever reasons NEED to point fingers elsewhere (to save their job maybe...) and will NEVER recant or retreat (see any small-claims court program).

I *do* understand domain names, and understand every single aspect of how complex the settings are. Nameservers or A records, redirection services and web forwarding, parking pages and AdSence websites and portal pages, and the differences between what a domain name is and what a hosting package is. Some users claim that they are masters of it all (and some are) but it can be very easy to make a mistake.

I don't know what happened, but the statement "my domain settings got futzed and I think that my registrar did it to just me" is a bit lacking.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Couldn't happen to a better bunch of wankers

Shame the loss isn't forever.

SA is another of those websites where its users need to be burried with the toxic waste

14. James Penney
    Thumb Down

Only newsworthy..

.. If it didn't come back up... ever.

A true shame.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't get too smug

If SA falls over then all that stupid will just spill out all over the rest of the intarweb.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Re:Upset the wrong people, eh?

Phishing? How true, if I had a high Security password like "123" I'd be sure to use it on everything.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it's time

It is time to call in Rex Support!

SA fails, it was Ebaumsworld, etc etc etc

18. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Something Awful rules

If you don't like it, I don't like you.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eh?

never heard of them before this article. Just popped over for a look. Can't see what problem anyone would have with the site's contents. Seems no worse than popbitch , b3ta etc. Perhaps I ought to get out less.

20. Paul M.
    Coat

Excellent site

I agree with the last Anon.Coward. Something Awful is an excellent site, especially the forums, and El Reg has linked to it before.

Could the posters here be Wikipedians or Second Life fans?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Re: Could the posters here be Wikipedians or Second Life fans?

> Could the posters here be Wikipedians or Second Life fans?

Nope, just a diaper fetishist!

This topic is closed for new posts.