back to article Iran bans Tehran invasion first-person shooter

EA's Battlefield 3 has been outlawed in Iran, with police allegedly arresting shop owners that secretly stock the game. If reports are to be believed, Iranian cops are cracking down with a vengeance, raiding shops and arresting owners found to be selling pirated or imported copies of Battlefield 3, Agence France-Presse reports …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. FreeTard
    Happy

I seem to remember a few years back the US banning a game where you played a

terrorist/freedom fighter whereby Palestinians would use everything from stones to ak47's and rocket launchers against the Israelis?

I don't really see how this is any different. Would the Americans arrest sellers of that game I wonder? What was that game called...??? And was it real?

Both are just games anyway so what's the problem. No real people get hurt in either case!

1. Mike VandeVelde
      Big Brother

this one?

http://www.underash.net/en_download.htm

Not banned, as far as I know.

A list is here, if anyone knows any that are missing then go ahead and add them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games

2. kain preacher

You can try and ban a game in the US but the courts will and have struck down suck bans.

2. Just Thinking

Same thing would happen here

If someone released a FPS set in, say, a future London we would ban it immediately.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

err no we wouldn't and a good job too

Resistance had battles in Manchester & York, MW3 has battles in London... and we don't ban them.. and why, because at least most people know the difference between fantasy and reality...

I'm off to blow up Paris on BF3

2. dotdavid
      Thumb Down

We'd certainly *talk* about banning it, but depending on how tasteless/tasteful the game was I doubt it would get banned.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If only...

... then maybe i wouldn't've bought it.

4. Just Thinking

For the benefit of the downvoter, I was of course referring to the dreadful way UK shopkeepers are being arrested for selling MW3.

I guess there are some things you can't be sarcastic about.

3. Thomas 18
    Thumb Up

Anti-Iran propoganda banned in Iran

... Who didn't see this coming?

Now we need an Iranian game where you play a immigrant fireman in the world trade centre on 9/11 and undercover a (the?) conspiracy while its happening around you. See how long that takes to get banned.

1. mrweekender
      FAIL

WTF!

Ok so what you're saying is: the made up game map, where you play a made up soldier, in a made up war, is going to be just the same a playing a made up immigrant, in a factual and extremely sensitive location, at a factual and extremely sensitive time eg. 9/11.

Two words - Fuck off!

1. tonysmith

erm, not quite. Unless you've been under a rock for the last few years you'd have noticed the general state of affairs regarding the wests relationship with Iran, the threats and counter threats of attacking and generally blowing things up.

Now, if I where Iranian, I would find that a game role played a possible scenario of an invasion of my capital city then I'd be a bit miffed I'd say.

So by banning the game the Iranians are expressing themselves with those two words you've just used too.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"At an extremely sensitive location, at a factual and extremely sensitive time eg. 9/11."

So America's sensibilities are more important than those of other nations?

4. sisk

Failure of logic

"In that Battlefield 3 is not available for purchase in Iran, we can only hope the ban will help prevent pirated copies reaching consumers there,"

So zero sales is a good thing because it also means zero piracy? That just proves to me that certain corporate entities have completely lost thier minds when it comes to piracy. I'm not saying piracy is good, but surely having some income and a lot of piracy is better than no income and no piracy.

1. QuinnDexter
      Meh

What did they really say?

When I read this, all I got was "We don't really care what they do in Tehran about the game, but here's a random soundbite that may make it appear that we actually care, and even if that's not what comes across, we really don't care. As long as they spell Battlefield 3 right ever time it's mentioned in the press..."

Let's face it, they could put a "Hated by the Iranian Government" sticker on it, and you'd probably see sales increase in some parts of the US...

2. Beritknight

Misunderstood

No, I think you misunderstood that quote. What I *think* he's saying (we could tell for sure if we had the full quote in context) is that EA don't sell BF3 in Iran. Their distributor to that region doesn't carry that particular title. Therefore any copies of the game on store shelves are highly likely to be pirated. Or privately imported I guess, but more likely pirated. If a government crackdown on the games stops those pirated copies from being sold, that's good from EA's standpoint.

Does that make more sense?

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

I think you've missed his point.

If EA don't sell the game in Iran, why would they even give a shit?

2. Old Handle

Make sense?

No. Because they do not lose money when games are pirated, except in so far as that displaces sales. Since the game was not for sale, they can't lose money. On the other hand, they gain money if even a single copy is sold legitimately and smuggled into Iran. Thus they have no reason to be happy about this save for pure irrational jealousy.

5. Citizen Kaned

funnily....

there are plenty of Iranian guys on the BF3 forums who love the game. some of them like the idea of the game being in their home.

anyway, the online is purely USA V Russia so why dont they just release a MP only version for the arab states? i mean, who plays BF single player anyway?

6. Dele-Himself
    Mushroom

"Battlefield 3 depicts a fictional US invasion of Tehran."

In a few years time this sentence shall be read as

"Battlefield 3 depicts the US invasion of Tehran."

1. sisk

Let's hope not. Some of us Americans are damn sick and tired of constantly being at war with some random nation on the other side of the globe.

7. zanto
    Devil

does iran have large deposits of oil

Otherwise I see no reason for an invasion.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Iran

In Iran, there is no need to obey copyright laws. In proper shops (i.e. not temporary shacks) you can buy pirated copies of most commercial software.

Hence "In that Battlefield 3 is not available for purchase in Iran, we can only hope the ban will help prevent pirated copies reaching consumers there," the publisher said in a statement.

Not sure exactly how it works that out, though."

What that means is these shops are not going to be able to profit from piracy.

They do have bit-torrent - when the government is behind and catching up on the index sites.

9. peter_dtm
    Happy

I take it they've banned Risk then; too ?

(An 'old fashioned' board game of conquer the world)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like