back to article Nokia snaps up Apertio for €140m

Nokia Siemens Networks is to buy customer-management company Apertio for about €140m, with the cash deal set for completion before April. UK-based Apertio provides databases and software for managing customers on phone networks, including components such as the Home Location Register (HLR) and Authentication servers, all …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Your privacy belongs to your Telco

Apertio is not only selling IMS infrastructure to Telcos, but also FUD about Google entering the telecoms market.

Apertio´s sales pitch is: "Own the customer, own the market." In other words: "Own the customer´s telephone/Internet activity data, own the targeted-advertising market."

So much for the privacy of personal data. In the future your telco will know more about you than Google.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nokia versus Google

Looks like Nokia wants to battle Google in the mobile advertising arena.

3. leslie
    Coat

Does Nokia Really Need THIS???

Well this is a shock, I worked with some Nokia components and since I am obviously not involved in configuring them I do not know where the HLR database fits in, but I will check anyway.

From what I thought, Nokia GGSN and SGSN and so on were well "created/integrated" into the network and already complicated to use. So WHY on earth would they get another company just for the HLR db? It must be more than that.

So ELReg when you are reporting something like this; do take your time and be clear with your "facts". They just did not get if for simple things like an HLR db!

They are propbably more interested in replacing their combosume - always changing interface and API! Nokia Networks and their solutions are a pain but work no doubt - what I want to know from your article is if you know that and IF you think/speculate their spending of 140MILLION would help their CUSTOMERs.-

Thanks

€%&/()=?

4. leslie
    Coat

How Weak is This then!

Well I would say that Nokia has a VERY LONG way to go if they want to take google on in this arena. First FIX the software on those GGSNs! Fortunately for Google, they are not making any sophisticated mobile network infra [yet]... Ooops, I think they will read this and buy one.

5. gogo2000

Start of a Nokia-Google Partnership?

Telcos don´t have a glue about integrating internet services with their legacy networks. They have nightmares about losing their remaining customers to the new competition. So the telcos love it when someone talks about lowering churn and the possibility of controlling new markets.

I agree with all of the previous comments. Nokia seems to have overpaid for a company that is really just selling an integrated customer record database. Integrating a Network Directory Server, a Home Location Register, a Home Subscriber Server, and a AAA server is no big deal. Apertio had no difficulty doing this when it bought netzwert three months ago.

It´s laughable to imagine nokia persuading telcos, MVNOs and MNVEs that they should buy an integrated NDS to capture the mobile advertising market before google arrives.

The €140m purchase makes sense, however, if nokia wants to work with google.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

All above comments inaccurate

I know this a bit much to ask on the interweb, but can I recommend doing a bit of research about a topic before commenting on it.

On the plus side, all of the above comments are so far off the mark we had something to laugh about over lunch.

This topic is closed for new posts.