back to article RealPlayer users warned over unpatched vuln

Security watchers warn that an unpatched vulnerability in RealPlayer poses a severe risk. A flaw in RealPlayer 11 build 6.0.14.748 might be used to inject hostile code onto Windows boxes running the software, security notification firm Secunia warns. Other versions of the media player software may also be vulnerable. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jon Double Nice
    Happy

Shouldn't people just be warned against using RealPlayer?

... there - somebody had to say it.

2. Robert Moore
    Coat

You mean

someone still uses real player?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Spot on

couldn't agree more jon

well said!

4. alistair millington
    Coat

@Jon Double Nice.

I was hoping to get in first with that one as well.

5. Mr B

and repeat

Jon, I'm with ya on that one!!!

6. Morely Dotes

Trust no one!

Keep your laser handy! The Computer is your friend!

(Give yourself a pat on the back if you recognize the origins of the phrase.)

7. Alan Gregson
    Paris Hilton

Use Real Alternative

Simple as that, never adds itself to your start-up group, takes a lot less power, plays all RM files...

While I'm at it, dump Quick Time and use Quick Time Alternative...

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Morely

You are referring to the Paranoia RPG, citizen.

That knowledge is not authorised to a tech of your level (infrared). Please report to room H in zone 3B of the high-energy laser factory for "re-education".

;-) p.s. do I win any qatloos?

9. Andy Worth

"Alternatives"

Been using both alternative codecs for a while now, much preferable to the bloatware that is Realplayer/Quicktime.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Use Real Alternative

I've been using Real Alternative quite happily for several years with no problems or shortcomings. A codec should just be a codec, no more, no less. Real Player contains, IMHO, far too much junk alongside the codec that I have no desire or use for.

11. And Clover

Even Alternatives still problematic

Whilst Real Alternative and QT Lite are massively preferable to RealPlayer/QuickTime, they still contain the same security holes as the originals. Which have demonstated their authors' security uselessness again and again.

Best to install the Alternatives with the 'browser plug-in' option turned off so that these vulnerabilities are not exposed to every web site you visit. Or even better, if you don't need DirectShow Real/QT support, don't install them at all and let VLC handle it.

(This does mean that embedded media players won't work, obviously. The inconvenience of this can, however, be reduced using the Firefox Download Embedded Plugin, which lets you grab media from embedded players easily, so you can then play using a proper, non-postage-stamp-sized media player of your choice.)

12. Curtis W. Rendon
    Linux

Realplayer for FreeBSD works well

And allows me to look at the stuff the M$ folks see. Quite nice for streaming NASA feeds.

So yes, a lot of us that avoid M$ use it, or it's alt.

This topic is closed for new posts.