back to article Apple preps updated 11, 13, 15in MacBook Airs

There'll be new Apple MacBook Airs out in Q1 2012, component supplier sources have claimed. Expect update 11.6 and 13.3in models - and a new 15in model, they say. The moles add that pilot production of parts has already begun for the smaller models, DigiTimes reports. Work will commence on the 15in machine in due course. It's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Wyrdness
    Thumb Down

Yawn!

Breaking news! Computer company likely to release new models next year!

Wake me up when something interesting happens.

2. Michael Jennings

I think first quarter is a bit optimistic.

Apple will update its existing Macbook Airs when it can source the Ivy Bridge ULV CPUs in adequate numbers to satisfy demand. Because Apple makes so few individual models of laptop and therefore tends to move its whole production to a new generation of hardware at the same time, Apple is seldom the first manufacturer to offer a new generation of CPUs in its hardware, so I doubt this is likely before about May.

As for the 15 inch ultrathin laptop (which may or may not be called an Air, but probably will), Apple will release it when they are happy with it. They clearly weren't happy with it at the time they last updated the 11 and 13 inch Airs in July, but the rumours suggest they are close to being happy with it now. t am sure that Apple has a Sandy Bridge prototype of this, but they are unlikely to turn this into an actual product if Ivy Bridge is only a couple of months away. So likely May for this too. If the timing of the other Ivy Bridge models was to slip much later than may, you could get a Sandy Bridge 15 inch model in the interim, I suppose.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spoiling ?

If I made an ultrabook and the Air was taking sales away from me, the best thing to do would be to put out a rumour like this.

For example - if this gets publicty, many of those who have bought productss as a result of "Black Friday" deals might just ring up and cancel. Perhaps those people will buy a lower cost Windows ultrabook. Mission accomplished.

Surely, anyone who has just ordered an Air will cancel - unless they are desperate for it before the end of the year...

4. Armando 123

Hope so

My Air (1st gen) and my wife's iBook are getting long in the tooth. And now that I seem to be somewhat stably employed,

And Apple often announces big things right after the new year (G4 iMac, OS X 10.1, iPhone, the first Macs w/Intel CPUs, etc). So that makes sense.

5. joejack
    Megaphone

8GB please!

Our company is strongly considering these, but only if they up the memory to at least 8GB to accommodate the VM's we need to run in the background.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Uh Oh

Time to cancel that Air order:

Performance (data from Wikipedia)

Sandy Bridge

Up to 17% more CPU performance clock-for-clock compared to Lynnfield processors.

Around twice the integrated graphics performance compared to Clarkdale's (12 EUs comparison).

Ivy Bridge

Intel's performance targets (compared to Sandy Bridge): 20% increase in CPU performance.

Intel is expecting a 60% increase in 3DMark Vantage scores (Performance Preset) and a 30% increase in 3DMark '06 scores.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like