back to article Radio hams pick up Mars rover Curiosity's signals

Amateur radio enthusiasts using a restored dish antenna in Germany say they have successfully picked up telemetry from NASA's Mars Science Laboratory spacecraft, now outward bound for Mars carrying a one-ton nuclear powered robot rover named Curiosity towards a date with destiny in the Elysium Planitia. Volunteer space-tech …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pint

I'll drink to that!

Brilliant work. They may be amateurs, but they are of an Olympic stature!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remind me again ...

Who said amateur radio was dead?

This is great.

1. kain preacher

Who said amateur radio was dead?

The makes of PLA equipment.

4. CarlosSpicyWiener
    Alien

Ze Germans...

.... are always on the watch.

(got nothing, really)

5. OzBob
    Thumb Up

"Bazaar" Astronomy?

W W ESR DO?

6. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

As G4GKB..

I can tell ya, that's what us 'hams' are good at. Didn't learn morse code for nothing...(Useful for cracking "The Bee on the Comb" puzzle by Kit Williams)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

I bet as soon as Curiousity is away from Earth orbit......

It starts broadcasting "Denizens of Mars, this is space battle platform Imperiousity!! I order your immediate surrender to the people of the United States of America!!! Your feeble spears and arrows are no match for our death-ray laser technology!! Surrender now and we will let some of you live on as gardeners and stableboys on our sprawling Martian estates. The rest of you will serve your Yankee masters in our planned radioactive Utonium mines!

This is your last chance! I will drive to victory over the crushed exoskeletons of those who resist!! Accept your fate and live, or fight and die!!

Love,

Barak

1. Andus McCoatover
      Windows

Exoskeleton species?

That's the end of cockroaches, at last.

I, for one, welcome....(etc)

8. Brian Hall

Jeez, enough with the ESL grammar, OK?

"For reception of MSL James Miller has G3RUH remotely tracking and the receiving computer and reconfigure the system has automatically received at the rising MSL in Bochum."

Say what?

This topic is closed for new posts.