back to article HTC: Apple and Samsung won't steal our lunch

HTC is insisting it'll do better next year as its shares plummet amid fears over its profits. The smartphone maker's stocks have fallen 32 per cent since 15 November as the company gives ground in the highly competitive sector to rising stars like Samsung and well-established dominators like Apple, both in market share and in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple

Apple don't provide product roadmaps but their share price has not dived. Announcing new products can impact on the sales of current products...

2. Miek
    FAIL

They might have retained some customers if they had updated their android firmwares for existing customers promptly. Personally I jumped ship to one of the Handset manufacturers that actually pride themselves on pumping out updated android firmwares for their existing handsets.

3. goldcd

Drop "Sense"

After 4 HTC phones on the trot (the last one being a Nexus One, so thankfully unmolested by HTC), I've switched to Samsung (S2).

My loyalty is to Android, rather than HTC or Samsung - and when I wish to change again I'll happily look at both manufacturers models. I'm guessing at each price point they'll probably be using the similar components, so decision will be on price/looks AND what they've done to the UI.

Every single review seems to comment that they hate Sense and it just slows stuff down - whilst I'm sure there's a division in HTC that justify their production of it, in that it "differentiates their models" - but somebody needs to tell them "not in a good way"

1. Kyoraki
      Stop

"Every single review seems to comment that they hate Sense"

Not from the reviews I've seen. Though it's still quite chunky, Sense hasn't slowed down handsets since the HTC Hero days. From my experience, and from every review I've seen (including el reg), the sense UI is brilliant. Sense adds some much needed polish to the quite ugly Android UI, and adds features to android that have only just been added to stock (facebook/twitter integration into contacts manager, for example)

Touchwiz and Motoblur however...

1. Fab De Marco

I Prefer Touchwiz tbh

Sense was a bit of a hog on My Hero and the day I rooted it and put Cyanogen mod on gave it a new lease of life.

I have since moved on to Samsung Galaxy S2 and am enjoying Touchwiz.

Although its name does suggest its something Dumbledore would get into a lot of trouble for.

4. Lord Midas
    Pint

I've had the HTC Desire for over 1.5 years now. It's had one update in all that time to v2.2. It's plenty good enough to play with v3.0, but why no update?

I'm heading over to WinPho7 for my next phone. But I do believe it'll be an HTC phone anyway. Something like the Titan, but with Quad Core please, HTC.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Lack of ROM...

... is the Desires Achilles heel, even the official Gingerbread update had Sense removed for lack of space reasons. Newer phones have 256MB more ROM space and no doubt that trend will continue.

1. Matt Siddall
        Thumb Up

Root, Cyanogenmod and S2E gets around the space problems - you can format part of your SD card and have the phone treat it as internal memory and use it for storing apps.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re. Lack of ROM

True, the HTC's tend to be a bit light on ROM and also application space; one of the reasons I opted for a Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

But I disagree about the comments slagging off Sense; the base Android 4.0 is way behind HTC for the phone dialler and clock (plus general integration of contacts between applications).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've already replaced the (buggy) Sense Dialer with Dialer One, the 'shell' with Launcher Pro and the lock screen with Widget Locker. With some of the Sense crap out of the way, the phone feels snappier but has more features and updates than the Sense rubbish with 2 updates in 10 months, both of which seem to have increased the number of bugs in the UI instead of reducing them.

HTC needs to concentrate on the hardware and dump the customised software. Focus on regular updates to phones that you've sold. Or those customers are not coming back.

My Nokia phone got firmware updates for 2.5 years, all 6 of them. HTC is actually doing worse so far.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like