back to article Anonymous: 'We hacked cybercop's email'

The Anonymous hacking collective's AntiSec group has launched a fresh assault on law enforcement agencies with the release of what they claim are personal emails stolen from a Californian cybercrime investigator. The cache of emails – which according to AntiSec are from the account of Fred Baclagan, a retired special agent …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Is it me?

I wonder

How long it'll be before these guys get someone killed, if they haven't already. Are they really trying to get themselves on the most wanted list.

Tsk, spotty teenagers, or maybe they are a criminal group trying to protect their online criminal activities with a devilish master plan.

1. Gordon 10

Let's not go overboard

How precisely is this dump going to get someone killed?

It's hardly black ops against Iran is it.

Not that I condone this stuff but knee jerk hysteria is the current Western World Governments stock weapon to control us. Let's not add to it.

2. Hendala

Yeah,

'cause the FBI never got anyone killed.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

His name's Maclagan really.

But he has a cold.

3. fearnothing

I don't know whether it would get anyone killed, but I'm quite sure this kind of thing could derail prosecutions, resulting in murderers, paedophiles, rapists and plenty more similarly upstanding citizens going free.

1. Graham Marsden
      Childcatcher

Ah...

... so you mean: "WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!"

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Happy

RE: Ah...

I think you'll find it was the spotty, girlfriendless children which did this hack.....

4. Keep Refrigerated
    Black Helicopters

Interesting response...

"I'm just a nobody, me".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all fun and games...

..until Antisec members end up in prison for 20 years. Then maybe hacking isn't so rewarding.

1. Oninoshiko

not all bad...

they get free room and board...

1. Ted Treen
        Trollface

And in a US clink...

it'll be their ass that gets bored...

Well & truly.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You have such a way with words... ;)

"Reamed" is the preferred word but you're so subtle.

2. LateNightLarry
        Paris Hilton

not all bad...

Don't forget free medical care... although that's not particularly good in California run prisons...

Paris, because they won't have a chance to meet her ini San Quentin... but they will have a chance to meet Bubba and his friends.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF?

He works in "cybercrime" and he uses webmail for sensitive information? This could mean...

1 The information is not sensitive.

2. The account holder wasn't the person who AntiSec think.

3. The owner was so incompetent that anything they say about computer security is completely meaningless.

Take your pick.

PS I have nothing against Gmail. I use it myself. I just don't keep so-called sensitive stuff in it and I don't claim to be an expert in "cybercrime".

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Boffin

RE: WTF?

One of the problems we have with our lusers is that many of them have several online logins for professional websites, and to avoid the problem of creating many passwords they re-use the same ones. They also have a bad habit (which we warn them against) of sending details of their disparate logins to one main email account (like Gmail), so if that main account gets hacked then the attacker has access to all the logins that the luser has stored there. I suspect that this was a similar case - either the guy used the same password for professional accounts as he used for Gmail, or he had stored login reminders on his Gmail account that allowed the skiddies to log into his professional accounts. Given how easy it is to guess the passsword reminders most people have for their Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo accounts (e.g., wife's/mother's maiden name, favourite colour, etc) it would be trivial to get into his Gmail and then go from there. No great skillz required, just sloppy luser security.

1. MacGyver
        Facepalm

Except, no.

You can guess colors and passwords all day long, but if that email content was deemed special, it wasn't on a computer connected to the internet, and if it was, the original F.BI guy would be in jail for putting it there.

Governments also don't have BBS's running on their missile launching computers that like to play tic-tac-toe in their off time with anyone that happens to have a 1200 bps modem.

All this talk of a tic-tac-toe playing computer is making me crave Burger King for some reason.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
      WTF?

My thoughts

Exactly.

This topic is closed for new posts.