back to article Cheshire councils to axe 70 IT jobs

Cheshire West & Chester and Cheshire East councils are to launch a consultation on the future structure of their shared ICT service in December. The councils estimate that this could lead to about 70 of their combined 217 IT staff members being made redundant. Cheshire East council said that the objective of the consultation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Frank Fisher
    FAIL

Well if you spend a thousand quid a pop for office chairs...

...as CEC did earlier this year, I guess it's hard to afford people to sit in them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And of course they're a bit light on funds...

When they moved council tax collection to the two split authorities, they managed not to collect two months direct debits from at least 1/4 of their council tax payers and then didn't notice their mistake for around 5 months.

Cue phone calls from staff offering to clear the arrears by doubling payments, and no, there was no room for negotiation of extension. Their incompetence was magically re-named your debt and they threatened action to recover it.

Only after three (count 'em) levels of escalation did they grudgingly offer to spread the outstanding balance over the two non-collection months - very generous.

Just goes to show... I the private sector if you f*ck up a customers account you apologise and correct the error. In the public sector you f*ck up the account just the same but threaten a CCJ and bailiffs as recompense.

As you can see I'm a bitter bitter (council tax paying) man. ;-)

2. Blubster
    Coat

IT? In Cheshire?

Bloody 'ell - they still point at aeroplanes over there.

1. Tegne
      FAIL

No

We fly them.

3. LarsG

CHESHIRE AS A UNITARY

authority was split into two, east and west a few years ago, now the two councils are going to share services to save money because of duplication.

Why did the idiots split in the first place, to save money?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not a Unitary

Cheshire wasn't a unitary a few years ago; it was a the standard County Council/District Council with 1 Council responsible for things like Highways, Schools and Social Services and then 6 District Councils who dealt with Planning, Street Cleaning etc.

During the last round of Local Government Review the County Council proposed a single Unitary for the whole council and the Districts proposed the East/West split. As the Districts started adding up the figures they changed their mind and swapped to supporting the status quo, it was too late however and the Government opted for the 2 Councils option. One could argue that the Labour government at the time rather hoped that by splitting the County that way they could gain one of them (in the end both halves went Conservative in the local elections).

The best option financially was a single Unitary, however due to Cheshire's demographics there was really only one colour of council it was going to elect and it wasn't the same colour as the government making the decision. Surely however, that's just tinfoil hattery.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Since Macclesfield borough council

took on the labour run debt ridden unitary authorties, and became Cheshire East, it's turned to utter shite...

The wastage is unbelievable....

Anon because I work there...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think it must be unmanageable at it's size then...

... because, living in one of those old Labour run areas, service to end users has absolutely fallen off a cliff.

But I guess we need to pay for all that window dressing in Macc and the very east of the county somehow...

This topic is closed for new posts.