back to article Ten... top PlayStation Network game downloads

Games are expensive these days, with contemporary titles often commanding in excess of £50. Some people even paid thousands for an early copy of Modern Warfare 3. But why should you fork out so much for games on disc when there's plenty of much cheaper and no less entertaining offerings available through your console's network …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a lousy list of great games.

I mean these are all really good, but why include multiplatform titles. You could easilly filled that list with PSN exclusives that are unparalleled.

Not a single Pixeljunk game on the list? Come on...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Partly agree

Personally I thought the list was chock full of great games, but leaving out the magnificence of Pixeljunk Eden is unforgivable in my book. It's my favourite downloadable game on PS3 by a huge margin.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No pixeljunk

No flower

No Superstardust

No Last Guy

No Wipeout

OK then.. It seems like a list that ensured there were some Xbox "me too" included intentionally.

2. johnnytruant

Some of my favourites

Even though a bit long in the tooth now, PixelJunk Monsters is one of the best Tower Defence games on PS3, and co-op multiplayer is awesome. Not to mention having a rather good soundtrack.

Flower is by some definitions not a game, it's still well worth whatever few quid it costs these days.

Burnout Crash is unfailingly amusing to pick up for a few minutes here and there, and features the song Crash by the Primitives, which provides a great earworm for days afterwards.

3. Lloyd
    Facepalm

PSN?

Presumably you didn't give them your card details?

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

I hear

it's much safer than Xbox Live these days, and people had REAL money taken from XBL, not the "could have been" that was the reality of the PSN hack...

1. Andy Jones
        Black Helicopters

Sssshhhhh! XBox Live hasn't been hacked. Microsoft said so so it must be true!

Oh, and the Red Ring of Death really only affected less than 1% of XBoxes, and not the 50% I am led to believe. Honest guv! My XBox loving colleague told me. Apparently the Yellow Light of Death is much worse.

Microsoft people! You gotta love them eh. One step away from being 'special' imo.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Feary

I kinda missed out on Faery - Legends of Avalon in there. Its a simple, hardly perfect, turn-based RPG game which doesn't even have spoken conversations; those are all displayed in text.

But I still liked the game and IMO it was very refreshing to see. Quite a bargain too.

5. Greg J Preece

Aaaaah, Housemarque

Love their stuff. Super Stardust HD and its PSP port addicted me half to death. Had a quick bash on Dead Nation's co-op mode, but not given the single player chance to eat my free time yet. Outland looks like fun!

Amazed that Super Stardust isn't on this list, to be honest. It's one of those games that makes me adore my HDTV. I pick it up fairly regularly and run one of the more insane modes/levels, just to let it melt my fucking brain. (And the PS3 processor.)

6. alan buxey
    Thumb Up

great titles

one of the key points is that these (and many more missed out - especially the PixelJunk series) are

just as good, if not better than the big retail 40 quid games....and at 5 to 10 quid they are a sound investment into entertainment.

7. introiboad
    Go

DICE

No Battlefield 1943? This is the best downloadable game of this generation in my humble opinion. Endless hours of fighting online for supremacy on the Pacific islands

8. jai

coming soon

the one to look out for is Wrecked Revenge Revisited which must surely be due for release any week now.

it's guarenteed to be the best multiplayer fun you've ever had.

it's by the team who did Micro Machines V4 for the psOne and the incredible Mashed games for the PS2. This is basically Mashed, but with flashier graphics and physics. It's going to be awesome!!

9. DragonKin37
    Thumb Up

Scott Pilgrim

Movie was ok I hear, but the game brings back old memories of River City Ransom, Streets of Rage and Final Fight, & Captain Commando. I miss those old beat-em up's

Well thats what emulators are for right?

I also would've like to see Costume Quest in the list as well.

10. David Austin

Not a bad selection.

I'd Throw Flower, Lumines Supanova, and Everyday Shooter into the mix, too. more fun in those three games than any brown and bloom HD Space marine cover-based shooter you'd care to mention.

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2005/11/blue-sky-in-games-campaign-launched.html

11. Eric Hood

Try Payday the heist on PSN. A very good game.

12. Wombling_Free

Play better games.

Better cheapcheap PSN games:

Flower

Beyond Good & Evil - thats a classic!

Flow

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Joe Danger!!!??

Great game.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think you mean.

Nooooooooo Jooooooooooe D-D-D-D-Dangeerrrr!

It's not a great game, it's the only game.

14. John Gamble
    Happy

Limbo

Huh, I didn't even know it had been released -- I saw a flash demo version of a couple of scenes back in ... 2006? 2007? ..., and it was beautiful and intriguing, but never saw it had been released. Since I'm not a PSN user, I'm more than happy to see that it's available on the PC.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like