back to article EA retreats, offers free Battlefield 1943 after all

EA has changed its tune and pledged to give all PlayStation 3 Battlefield 3 customers a free copy of Battlefield 1943, all to avoid embarrassing legal entanglements. The company issued a statement to say: "There have been some misunderstandings around Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield 3... to address this we are making …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom_
    Stop

nevermind that...

I'd be happy if their latest patch for the PC version hadn't made it impossible for me (and many others) to play the single player campaign, co-op missions and online multiplayer.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to find out that Microsoft was the one behind the removal of the extra game. By giving a free copy from their site instead of shipping it on disc, then they are within Microsoft policy!

El Reg, you might wish to read the following article on eurogamer:

Why Microsoft won't publish PSN firsts

link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-24-why-microsoft-wont-publish-psn-firsts

Sony's reply: Sony attacks Xbox 360 content policy

link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-02-sony-attacks-xbox-360-content-policy

1. ledmil
      WTF?

While I think Microsoft is guilty of many things, I think this is stretching it a wee bit far.

Still your post made our team laugh this morning :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Still your post made our team laugh this morning"

I'm glad that I helped someone laugh.

But out of curiosity, did you read the 2 linked to articles in my post? Here is a quote if the article is too long:

"Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other video game platform, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with the other video game platform versions in all regions where the title is available,"

as far as I can tell, this is a new policy.

1. Citizen Kaned

ahhhh

xbox, holding back gaming for how many years now? so many console games are gimped due to xbox's lack of HDD on all machines etc

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"so many console games are gimped due to xbox's lack of HDD"

God am I old.

I remember a time when no console had an HDD.

That must have been sometime during . . . last century.

Just for the record : console will ALWAYS "gimp" games, because they are a closed platform. You can give them terabytes of HDD is you wish - a year after they come out they will be outdated and start crimping again.

Because, until a pocket computer has the processing ability to display any scene in any size with any number of particles/polygones/whatchamacallits, the better platform will always be the one that can be upgraded.

And that means the PC.

1. Anonymous Coward 101

It also means spending hundreds of pounds on upgrades all the time, fucking around with drivers and fucking around with in the innards of your PC. Or you can have something that may be graphically outdated after a couple of years, but will work.

3. Jolyon Smith
    Coat

Does this include ...

... extending the offer of a refund of the original purchase price to those of us who already bought and paid for 1943 months and months ago ?

(the one with more valuable free DLC packs in the pocket)

4. AdamWill

"there have been some misunderstandings"

wonderful weasel phrasing, there. great job, that PR drone. Of course, the 'misunderstandings' in question were 'EA did not understand that people to whom it promised something would actually get rather pissed off if they did not deliver that thing'...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like