back to article Apple eyes set on Sharp IGZO tech for iPad 3 screen

Apple's iPad 3 may not be thicker than its predecessor after all, thanks to a smart display tech from screen partner Sharp. With the new tablet expected to sport a 2048 x 1536 display - double the pixel count in each axis compared to the current iPad's 1024 x 768 screen - a number of analysts and pundits predicted the iPad 3 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do we really need

a new Apple rumor "article" everyday? Really?

2. tmTM

Really???

As rumours go this one is pretty thin.

An analyst says Shap will be providing a screen (which it has not even been confirmed is high enough resolution), whilst conveniently forgetting that 3 companies are supposedly providing screens.

So will 1/3 of the new ipads be much skinnier than the rest??

1. jubtastic1
      Holmes

Yes

IPad 3, thinner, faster, retina, camera upgrade, for the same money as existing iPads, and 2+ versions of the iPad2 at a discount.

3. Adam T

What's in a screen?

I asked a question a while ago of a friend, why are laptop screen resolutions still sucky, when iPhone 4 can get such a mad resolution? Doesn't Moore's Law apply to screens?

He said no, because screens have no transistors. But...now I read they do? (being lazy I've not researched it and my knowledge ends here).

What's the truth? Does Moore's Law apply or not?

1. cloudgazer

There are transistors, but they control whether the pixel is on or off, the LCD itself is more than just transistors so, there is another factor which is that the larger you make a screen the greater the possibility of faults, and the more pixels you make the larger the possibility of faults, so when you try to make a very high resolution large display you get truly terrible yields.

It took years for LCD panels at larger sizes to be economically viable.

1. Adam T

Thanks, great answer, and makes a lot of sense.

4. Alan Denman

Totally pointless.

OK, with a 15" tablet 1080p might just cut it though optimum fur user's use is near 720p.

So I don't see the point of this apart from a dire need to be different/expensive,

Dumb, very niche technology as far as I'm concerned. Sounds cheap as chips if they are just reusing semi-redundant TV fabs though.

There's certainly profit in the barmy logic.

1. Adam T

I dunno, the number of times I've wanted to just get my damned Xcode layouts from the 30" monitor to work on my 15" macbook screen. Sod readability, I want to see my layouts! :-p

5. Neal 5

just reusing semi-redundant TV fabs, ahaaa

then why not some even older crt models and some car batteries and an old shopping trolley or two, save all the enviroment from electronic waste and non biodegradable trash, everyones happy, no?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like