back to article Despite Android lead, iOS devs slurp scads more mazuma

If you're a developer who wants the largest target market for your smartphone and tablet apps, write for Android devices. But if you want to make money, write for the iPhone and iPad. That's the conclusion of a pair of recent reports. Millennial Media's October 2011 Mobile Mix study reconfirms what has been true for months: …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Don S.

No surprise

Friend of mine ported his iPhone app over to the Android Marketplace. Within a day, pirated copies where showing up.

For a .99 app.

1. Andy Nugent

re: No surpise

We've had other websites offering downloads of our FREE apps. Some even charging for them (we've had customers email us asking for a refund!)

2. ozor
    Trollface

That'll be because iphone ppl will buy any crap offered =p

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

knee deep in it

And there is no shortage of crap on either app store, the difference being more of the crap is free on Android.

2. Jon 22

That'll be because android ppl are freetards and pirate everything they can =p

1. sisk

Scuze you

Why would I pirate anything on Android when there's already a free app out there for nearly anything I could want?

Besides I'd rather give my apps away free on Android (which I do) than deal with Apple's BS. Granted I don't make my living off my apps, but still Google's a hell of a lot friendlier to us than Apple is.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No it's because iPhone people are happy to pay for something they find useful. You're the sort of person who disappears to the toilet when it\s your round at the pub.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

Re: "iPhone people are happy to pay for something they find useful"

No, iPhone people are happy to pay for something *shiny*. The actual usefulness of their iToy is entirely dependent on the whim of Apple.

2. sisk

Actually no I'm not. If I find something useful I'm quite happy to pay for it. I just don't happen to find having my pocket picked for 30% useful (and make no mistake, I'd HAVE to charge for any app I put in the iStore just because of how expensive it is to get them in there in the first place). Nor do I find paying an insane yearly fee for the dubious privilege of allowing a multi-billion dollar to make a few bucks off my work while contributing to their abusive business model useful.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@sisk

And you never use a shop because you hate their markup or go to a restaurant or a pub! But then you don't really make any app's anyway as trolls can't program or do anything useful which is why they find $99 insanely high.

3. Gil Grissum
    Pint

That's because the "open" Android Market is a hacker's joke to dump Malware and other junk. I'll bet that bloke's friend hasn't lost money to "pirated copies" in the iTunes store. It may be a Walled Garden, but it's secure and developers are making more money their. Simple Math wins every time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

LOL

You really do believe everything Apple tells you...

You realise when Jobs vowed to destroy Android, it's not via conventional means, it's by all this bullshit you have been lapping up about Android malware, piracy and all the other FUD that's kneed deep in the media of late.

All these "reports" are sponsored by companies that have a vested interest in the result. You can buy a reserch paper than says anything you want these days, Apple and Microsoft are constantly upto this...

1. chr0m4t1c
        WTF?

So Kaspersky, McAfee, Juniper Research and the others reporting a 400% increase in Android malware in the last two months are *all* paid for by Apple?

Did Apple also pay for the production of DroidDream?

Do you realise that if that strategy worked then *no one* would buy a Windows machine, don't you?

Android is popular and trivially easy to get software distributed for it, this isn't some Apple conspiracy; the quicker you work that out the better your chances of not getting infected and the better chance we have of not ending up with Android 'botnets in the next couple of years.

4. Dave Wintle
    Big Brother

I don't get it

That's like saying my local grocers turns over more than my local Tesco. I would love to see a breakdown of this, what are the Fruity lovers buying thats pushing the 'alleged' revenue up that far? Is it the endless itunes vouchers on sale in most big stores?

Does this explain why large companies create their iOS app before the Android one? Usually it's an afterthought to cater for the larger market! Weird logic.

Take for example the X factor, they push their app on tv alot, what either stops them from creating an Android app, not that I could care less about this particular app, but it's nice to be offered. :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

apps stores aren't grocers

You don't get it because :-

(a) It's a comment about revenue not turn over.

(b) grocery stores don't give the majority of their stock away for free.

(c) Farmers don't need to grow 'local grocer' apples that are different from 'tesco' apples.

1. William Gallafent
        Stop

Erm, “It's a comment about revenue not turn over”?

First, (a) … really? In which case, please provide your definition of those two terms and explain how they differ! As I understand it (and from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenue second sentence “In many countries, such as the United Kingdom, revenue is referred to as turnover.”) they are the same thing.

And as for (c), well, I'm pretty sure that's actually also not true, since fruit and veg fall into class i, class ii, and … other?: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7724347.stm indicates some relaxation of the rules a while ago, but as far as I know they are still there in some form in the EU, and from some cursory googling similar rules apply in the US, for example, too. There is a difference between apps and fruit, inasmuchas farmers grow fruit in the hope, but not the expectation, that it will all be class i, and then the fruit is graded and sent to several outlets / channels, according to its quality, which is not quite the same as writing apps, but that's because when growing a fruit you don't know whether it will be class i or class ii until it's graded, whereas the decision to grow a class i or class ii app is actively made while it is growing. Apart from that writing apps and growing fruit is basically exactly the same set of operations. But I digress.

I'll go with (b) though, and one out of three ain't bad :)

Footnote: perhaps the same rules that [tesco apple] apply are supposed to ensure that the quality of produce sold in their stores is up to a certain standard, so that shoppers may be confident about the items they purchase, provided those rules are applied carefully. Others, such as [local-grocer android], perhaps do not have, or apply as carefully, such stringent rules, which may or may not lead to a perception, or an actuality, of reduced quality or reliability, which might put shoppers off, causing them to prefer the big rule-based players, even when it might appear that more money is paid for ostensibly the “same” item.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Go

briefly

turn over is how quickly I move stock. Revenue is how much money I make on the turn over. If I'm giving stuff away for free I can have a massive turn over but zero revenue ..

as for the apples .. you're making assumptions about the quality control of the local vs Tesco that I'm not prepared to make. So with the qualification of 'All other things being equal.' My statements hold true.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Simple

Apple owners are the X-Factor braindead generation.

Not only are they stupid enough to spend all their cash on overpriced fashion accessory, but they also waste their cash on overpriced and useless apps and content that only work on the said fashion accessory and has to be handed back at the gate if they ever grow up and want to leave.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Barry

What are you talking about you stupid fandroid?

Your argument can be used against/with *every* other manufacturer including android.

ie I decide to buy an android device, buy lots of apps for it. Decide I no longer like android, and want to go the winpho route. Do all those devs have to convert their apps to work with this phone now?

Re-word that to suit windows/os x/etc. to suit.

Your hatred for apple is blinding you to basic logic.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android folk in iOS

In the iGarden there are two different markets, the free app market and the paid app market, frequented by different people.

Android users are by and large of the free app (and free phone!) variety, cheap on the .99 and free with the semi-literate 1 star reviews.

1. sisk

"Android users are by and large of the free app (and free phone!) variety, cheap on the .99 and free with the semi-literate 1 star reviews."

I was with you right up till you started slamming free apps. There are some very good free apps avaialable for both iOS and Android. Angry Birds (yes, I know there's a paid version, but honestly what percentage of the AB install base does that represent? 10%, 20% at the most?), Dropbox, Quickdocs (again, yes there's a paid version, but how many use it?), and K9, just to name a few.

I guess my experience with iOS is prettly limited, so maybe the free apps over there are crap, and I will admit there's no shortage of crap in the Android market, but there are also some real gems.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I didn't slam free apps.

I slammed their customer base.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I slammed their customer base"

You, sir, are an elitist fucknugget.

2. sisk

In that case you're pretty much wrong. I know which Android phones are offered for free by the carriers around here and you very rarely see them. Maybe one in ten of the Androids I see is one of the 'free with contract' models. In fact a lot of the Android phones I see actually cost more than iPhones.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Ignore the troll

Sisk can't help but make things up

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obviously

I've paid over the odds because I have to have the latest iphone

I'm on a premium tariff because I had to have a iPhone

Therefore I'll happily pay $5.99 for my ifartboard application because I have more money than sense.

1. aThingOrTwo

A lot of the best mobile apps and games for Android started life on iOS.

Like it or not, iOS was a good platform for developers to experiment with multi touch and work on some exciting ideas.

2. Frank Bough

You

Fail it

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple users will be screwed

Nonsense! First of all android apps are mainly not bought but instead nearly all free apps contain advertisments. And how much money is generated somewhere else by that is not covered here.

BTW, it is not a problem of us endusers, which company earns more money with us. Should further more all the apple fanboys be gouged. In regard to the handset which costs 700 dollar whereas an artikel recently assumed that the build of it would be at 184 dollar. As well as the apps, where for any shit at the app store has to be paid. This is a great company subvention. And only some few make big bucks:-)

8. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Totally misleading

Elsewhere El Reg has posted stats on needing to be in the Top 50 or 100 to make any cash. Quite a lot of those are developers for multiple platforms. Good luck to all those in niche markets able to make a buck!

Nevertheless, I think app pricing is an interesting example of the discovery of fair pricing in action. Quite obviously the fruitbats are extending their over spend on a physical device to its ornamentation much in the same way that people used to buy new covers or ringtones to, ahem, "personalise" their phone. I suspect that Android's sheer size and momentum will encourage a reversion to the mean.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It isn't a competition...

FLOSS has never been about making money. You come across a problem you wish to solve, see if anyone has done any work on it and share any progress made.

You only need to make money if you aren't solving a problem, or at least, a problem you yourself have.

That's one reason why *nix is historically excellent at functionality and poorer on glossy presentation - the focus is on the problem and once that is solved then the itch has been scratched.

Neither Windows nor Mac are particularly focused on solving technical problems, so their presentation/marketing has to be better, in order to sell anything. Let's face it, windows made it into the datacentre because excel is quite good and since it's easy to use, networking must be easy to do too, right?

10. Asher Pat
    Thumb Down

Resistance to Apple is futile" propaganda

This article, like so many is not informative, it is part a heart-wish of the journo to diss any competition to Apple, to make sure that there is no critical mass for any competing platform.

Oh the schadenfroide of HP downfall...of Motorola Xoom modest success...all to the greatness of the big white fruit!

As an example, note the deluge of articles today claiming that the sales of Nokia Lumia are "less than expected" - by whom?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Register loves Apple?

This is the same Register that doesn't get any invitations to Apple events, right? You think this is because they show slavish devotion to Apple? Pull the other one...

11. hodma727

One quite obvious factor here - the bulk of android devices are low quality cheap under-spec'ed devices aimed at a low budget buyers and unsupported by the manufacturers once they are sold.

Apple doesn't release low quality kit so the market for any android app that requires decent specs is quite limited compared to the iOS market.

And having played with Samsung's tablets, even some of the "premium" android gear can be pretty low quality.

12. craigj

Well...

The truth is, there are some very nice android phones out there...

but hardware manufacturers will stick Android on any old phone, whether or not those users are likely to use its "smart" features or buy apps.

A good chunk of those android device owners will use it *shock horror* as just a phone for calling & texting.

That's why I think the idea that Android is leading the smartphone market is stretched a little. Smartphones sold != Smartphones used.

13. gurugeorge

I bought an iphone so I could have apps.

I hated Apple with a passion, and protested against all Cupertinian. I had an Psion till 2006, a Nokia S60 until 2009. Both broke, and I bought the best rated Android at the time, an HTC Desire (rated 9.8/10 at CNET). 8gb sd card, but only 80Mb of Apps? So I have Skype, Opera, Gmail, Whats App and then I have to uninstall skype if I want to update Google Maps?? WTF?

I had o hack S-off to root it to instll more apps, but the thing keeps crashing when I do that. AFter 2 years of this nonsense, calendars not syncing, and stupidities like type number, click add to cntacts, click google contacts, click name, type nme, hide keyboard, scroll dow, click save.... vs. 3 steps in Nokia/iphone i gave up and went iphone. Not looked back, except for google maps amazing navigation on android.... but i have many free nav options on iphone also!

1. turnip handler

App2SD card

You seem to have a completly difference HTC desire to me ( and CNET ).

You can store a lot of apps on the SD card. You can even swap the 8gb sd card for a 16gb or a 32gb. I'm not sure how you opted to go for rooting the phone when you were not able to use the functionality of the phone as standard.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

WTF

So you have to download an app to make the phone usable as a smart phone!

1. turnip handler

No - you don't need to buy an app to transfer apps to the SD card. Most apps automatically store themselves on the SD card and if they didn't then you can select the applicaiton and choose to send the application to the SD card instead of internal memory.

2. Paul 135
      WTF?

Erm in Android 2.3 Gingerbread you can move most apps to the SD card without rooting.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You know the old addage

Like the article says:

"If you're a developer who wants the largest target market for your smartphone and tablet apps, write for Android devices. But if you want to make money, write for the iPhone and iPad."

Yes. Because a fool and their money are easily parted. Its far easier to screw cash out of iPhone or iPad users for virtually nothing, its embarrassing.

I'm not even a great *fan* of Android (I do have one) but you can get functionally identical apps on Android for either nothing or for a fraction of the cost.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

fandroids will cry

Keep making up those excuses about Android if it makes you happy. It wont change the fact that your the real fool whose money was easily taken.

15. Phormic

Excuse me while I wade through this veritable tsunami of bile and vitriol but did we stop to think that maybe it's because iPhone users tend to have a higher disposable income and so are more likely to buy apps? It's kinda the same reason why the software market on the Mac tends to be fairly healthy as well, disproportional to it's market share.

We'll now return you to your normal scheduled programming of fanboi foot stamping, insults and unhinged conspiracy theorising.

1. gribbler

very valid point

used to see the same (3 or 4 years ago) when I looked at the web analytics for a large company. Mac/Safari was a tiny proportion of the user base but spent well above their share. Personally, I interpret that to mean that Apple users have more money than sense, but only 'cos I think it's fun to wind them up!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Phormic

Completely agree.

A lot of people buying a smartphone don't know or even care that their little device can be used for anything other than a phone/taking photos/facebooking/browsing/etc.

Generally apple owners have more cash available, so will spend more.

Generally android owners have less cash, so spend less. There are also a large number of cheapo android phones that are basically useless due to their cheap manufacture.

This is all pretty obvious stuff here.

As you said - let the trolls have their fun trashing each other

3. ozor
      Trollface

what a load of crap.

80% of people I see with iPhones buy it not because they can afford it but because:

A: They wish to appear trendy than they are

B: They wish to appear more wealthy than they are

C: There friend has it so so must I

I guess the other 20% are people who actually like the phone and think it is good value for money =p

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2 reasons I can think off, an obvious one and a rude one.

iPhone market is locked up tighter than a duck's wotnot, so it's nigh impossible to rip stuff off on non-JB'd phones.

iPhone users will pay good money for any old shite that appears on Job's legacy marketplace, "£1.99 for a Fart app? A bargain, I most have it and amuse my friends!".

To borrow from Not The Nine O'Clock News, "Three cheers for Apple! I would gladly sell my house and all my possessions to help Apple, they're great!"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

you missed reason 3

Android phones are mostly crap sold to trailer trash to dumb to understand that buying a smartphone doesn't make you smart.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Surprises

Craiggy's comment illustrates the problem - while Android users are reluctant to part with their cash / view Apple's users as gullible idiots for spending £5 on a game, the Android software market is going to lag behind.

Hobbyist and part-time developers working for kicks / pin-money are only going to take it so far.

We're back to John Carmack's comment to a room full of developers - 50% of them had Android phones, but barely any of them would spend $10 on a game - hence, John pointed out, why he wasn't developing for Android (at that time - they're starting too now).

It's irrelevant whether you think that price is too high. The only thing that counts is whether the total revenue to be made exceeds the development costs (and makes a profit).

What isn't going to work is constantly posting requests for Android ports on developers websites, citing the larger marketshare of Android devices, as if developers were somehow obliged.

(How dare they write code to make money!)

18. Gadget Rage is BAD
    Stop

I love the illusion..

that the Android app store is somehow full of anything other than pretty much exactly the same stuff thats in the Apple store. Why would it be? What pray tell do the average Android users use their phones for that the average Apple user doesn't? And you'll note I say Average.. not uber geek.

The answer is my dear friends. Nothing. They play games, they read email, surf the net, edit the odd document and use facebook/twitter/insert other social network website here. A quick look at the Android top selling apps reveals.. Cut the rope, Documents to go, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Pro Evo and many others which are exactly the same in the iOS store. Sure theres the odd widget type app or such that I'll admit only Droid phones use but the bulk are exactly the same.

As to the folk saying all the stories about Droid having malware are made up are having a laugh, seriously, wise up. Stop being such blinkered fanbois, of course theres malware, theres little to stop it so why wouldn't there be?? You want open, you get open, you get malware.. simples.

The simple fact that its so simple to steal Android apps and download them for free from pirate sites is the no 1 reason you won't make as much money on Android. That and as has already been pointed out, a large section of the Droid userbase has either no interest in apps or in many cases that I've come across don't even know they exist!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple

iDevice users are not clever enough to be able to source their requirements from free or low cost offerings, instead purchasing full price apps.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Though they were smart enough to avoid the joke of an OS that is android.

20. thesykes
    FAIL

the wonder of statistics

It's all very well saying that, in its entirety, a market has generated $x billion... but.. without a little quantification, that is pointless.

It may be that only a small percentage of apps on iOS are actually making any money at all, and an even smaller number making huge profits.

If so, you could say that, ignoring the top 10% of money-making apps, 90% os iOS apps are making a pittance, if anything at all. Of course the same probably applies to those apps on Android making money.

Finally, taking revenue as an indicator of profitability is just plain wrong. I'm sure that the annual turnover in the motor industry is huge, but, there are several, very large, motor manufacturers who could show you bank balances with lots of red figures on them.

21. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Leaving asside the rampant fanboy-ism

I think part of it has to do with credit cards.

You aren't allowed to create an iTunes account, without putting a credit card number in. Although I think you can get round this by using an iTunes gift card. However you can create a Google marketplace/Android account without one.

I have no wish to give either company my credit card, and have it permanently connected to my account, in case anyone hacks my device or account. So I've never bought an Android app. I've got about 4-5 apps on my Android phone, and there's only one that I'd say is good enough to pay money for.

I've got loads of apps on my iPad. I was given an iTunes gift card and all I've spent is that £25 (over 18 months). I've seen a couple of apps that I've wanted since it ran out, but still not been arsed to stick in my credit card. I'll probably give in though - as I plan on getting an iPad 3.

So I'd say a big problem is with micro-payments, and how there still isn't a commonly accepted model for it - hence the agonies the newspaper industry are still going through. Apple are willing to be a bit more evil than Google, and say no play without credit card.

I wonder if they'll lose some sales now you can use iOS without connecting to a PC and using iTunes?

Also the market is worse than the app store. It doesn't have top 20s, which is an easy/cheap way to increase sales. I guess Google don't understand retail, in the same way it turned out they don't get customer service.

1. Cyberspice
      FAIL

Re: Leaving asside the rampant fanboy-ism

You can create an iTunes account without a credit card. I have done so pretty recently. In fact Apple have a tech note about it! http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534

22. ScepticTank

Some apps are worth the cash

FanBoi here - most of the music apps I use on iOS are awesome and well worth the relatively tiny amounts I paid for them compared to equivalent Mac and PC software.

I'm still waiting for Android to be able to offer the low latency interface that these apps rely on. Until it does - and it works on enough devices to make it worth a developer's while to develop for it - my money keeps heading towards the fruit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thank you for the common sense

A story about revenue from apps, and most of the comments are about everything but...

I also follow the availability of music apps (as in apps that musicians use to produce music) on the various platforms. iOs devices have apps from Roland, Korg, Moog, etc, etc. as well as from the more respected music software developers.

You can see the same picture in other categories of app: pro and semi-pro apps are appearing first (and, often, only) on iOs. Some of these are (in app terms) quite expensive.

It all helps add to the revenue disparity highlighted in the reports

23. Cyberspice
    Unhappy

Anti-elistist an-droids!

When I look in to the parking lot I see mercs and bmws and jags as well as fords. Why? Surely they're all just cars with four wheels, a place to sit and a place to store stuff? Why pay more for the german hardware? Because they look nice, they're a pleasure to drive, and because if you can afford the vehicle you may value other aspects of a vehicle than mere price.

Its the same for me with my iPhone. I bought an iphone not because its the latest and greatest. Not because its better than X or Y. But because it was elegantly designed, worked with my existing kit (an iMac and a Mac Book Pro) and because I've never had a single issue with any apple kit *I* have ever bought. Its not like I can't use anything else (I'm an embedded Linux developer with hardware design skills).

Similarly I will pay for content and apps. I will read the reviews and then pick what appears to be the right app for me. I have no issue with paying for what I get or reimbursing the developer for the hardware they've put in to developing a polished, quality controlled, virtually bug free piece of code. (Quality control is substantially lacking in the FLOSS environment without commercial backing).

I just I just want my stuff to work and since I can afford the cost why shouldn't I? I'm not some imbecile drawn in to marketing or what ever. I value aspects of my life above money. So why don't you an-droid types just take your sour grapes vitriol off somewhere else, or go play with your nob or something.

24. Phil.A
    Meh

two different discussions...

OK, here goes on two differing topics:

Android has a larger market share because manufacturers will put Android on REALLY low-end phones, so people have Android when they don't even realise it - take phones like the Wildfire S, it's small, low-powered, has a low res screen, and a small memory, but it comes free with a £15/month contract... people think "I can get a phone that does nothing or a smart-phone for the same money, I'll take the smart-phone thanks", so they get Android and never do anything with it...

Apple phones cost more, but are a BIG fashion statement - you see more people with iPhones who want to "appear trendy" (look at the hipsters), they care more about how they look than what the phone does (Android obviously has the better technology push, but iOS is "more stable")

One of the main reasons that developers make more money on iOS is that App Store users are more likely to pay for an app than Market Place users are, because there are more free apps on the Market Place, so iOS users have less choice - buying crap-tastic apps for stupid money while a free alternative is on Android! Look at the top seller Xmas a couple of years ago, it was a fart app, all it did was make a stupid noise when you touched the screen, but people bought it because it was "funny" (for about 10 seconds), but it made the developer TONS of money

Next, it's EASIER to develop for iOS - there are really only 3 screen resolutions to develop for - iPhone 3G(S), iPhone 4(S) and iPad... while Android has TONS of different resolutions, not just on phones but throw in the tablets and it gets insane, even similar resolutions have to be catered for (take the Galaxy Note and the Galaxy Nexus, 1280x800 and 1280x720 respectively), so it takes a TON more work to decide what your app will work on

All in all, to make more money, for less work, even though the initial license costs more ($25 for Android, $99 for iOS), and the launch restrictions are harder on iOS, it's EASIER to develop for iOS than it is to get a good quality app out for Android! It's simple math - less effort + more willing customers = MORE MONEYS!!!!

Another issue with Android is that it's down to the manufacturers to release new versions of Android to their phones, and since most "skin" the OS, it's more work for them to deal with older phones than to concentrate on where the money is - new phones & customers!

It's not Google's fault that manufacturers throw their OS on ANYTHING, but it's the manufacturers fault for not allowing their users to upgrade to newer OS versions!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like