back to article Boffins one step closer to Terminator vision

Boffins have come a step closer to creating a Terminator-style field of vision with contact lenses that give hands-free info updates. Soon you too could assess random bikers for the probability that their clothes will fit you and locate your primary target with the computerised contact lenses, which researchers have been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mondo the Magnificent
    Coat

Visionaries...

"Our next goal, however, is to incorporate some predetermined text in the contact lens."

How about:

Warning! Objects are closer than they appear

2. Red Bren
    Terminator

I for one

welcome our cyber-leporine overlords.

3. Z-Eden
    Joke

Nice. I wonder if you could link it with some kind of health monitor. Maybe it could also be linked to your gun to give an ammunition readout. Maybe even to your body armour to give a status of it.

4. Richard Wharram

T1000?

I think you mean T800.

1. Matthew 17

T-101

We only ever saw how Arnie/Model 101 saw, nothing of the T-1000.

1. Richard Wharram

From Wikipedia

When he reboots, the upper-left of his HUD reads "Cyberdyne Systems Series 800 Model 101 Version 2.4"

5. Natalie Gritpants

Not sure how you will read that text

since moving your eyes along the line will move the contact lens and the text. Have you ever tried to look at those floaty things you see when looking at the sky - you can't unless it's slap bang in the middle. I do not want adverts scrolling all over my fovea thanks. Blink lights in the peripheral may be useful though.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Since the lenses

aren't actually floating that shouldn't be a problem provide the display is kept minimal. On the other hand the lack of microsaccades might be (depending on what they actually do).

6. Matt_V
    Joke

Even bigger scientific breakthrough!

"Our next goal, however, is to incorporate some predetermined text in the contact lens."

And the rabbits will tell them if they can read it?!

1. ravenviz Silver badge
      Coat

What about L and R?

2. TheRealRoland
      Happy

How about

"Car!"

"Cat!"

"Dog!"

or a system that displays warning texts when getting close to your broccoli, other veggies.

Maybe incorporate some sort of mild electric shock when getting close to a perimeter?

Apparently I'm conditioned to get off an elevator whenever I hear the 'ding' and see doors open -- whether it's the right floor or not...

So must be possible to train the rabbits for similar behavior (not getting off the elevator, obviously ;-) )

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

@TheRealRoland

PMSL new keyboard please :D

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now wait 5 years for the first set of litigation to pour in, "My son went blind.", "My eye sight is knackered after wearing them for 98 hours straight while playing the latest VG.", etc.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So you can have 10% off if you agree to have a logo somewhere near the centre of your field of vision?

1. Bill Neal
      Joke

EYE PHONE

Yes of course, but will it be ready in time for the iphone5? probably not. Then the next year they will make the internet connected model, and so on

9. Gary F
    Thumb Up

Bunny Terminator

The test subject is a rabbit? And how does the rabbit provide feedback on what he sees? Does he talk or jot down his observations in short hand?

<Use posh classical voice>

"My lunchtime carrot appeared slightly burred due to this large pixel that was obstructing my vision. However, using morse code the pixel reliably informed me that my carrot is 5.6cm long and weighs 104g. It then commanded me to terminate the carrot which I did using my trademark Leporidae incisors. Very tasty. Do you mind if I have another? Then perhaps you could provide another pixel so I can play Pong?"

10. SpeakerToAliens
    Terminator

"You've got DreamTime Technology in your contact lenses?"

From "The California Voodoo Game" by Larry Niven and Steve Barnes. Part of the "Dream Park" series of stories.

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=1496

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Park

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or possibly Ramone Dexter's Fony Headcase.

11. Alex King

How come the rabbits get this first?

"I need your hutch, carrots and water bottle."

"Hasta la vista, flopsy"

etc....

Who said there's no upside for the subjects of animal testing?

12. Will 28
    Terminator

Arnie wasn't a T1000, he was a T800

We never got to see through the vision of the T1000, so we don't know what he saw.

13. Pete the not so great
    Go

What about laser beams

now that would be worth having

14. Ross R
    FAIL

I don't see this working.

Try reading some text without scanning your eyes along it.

Unless they are also going to track the movement of your eyeballs and keep the image fixed?

1. Rodrigo Rollan

Perhaps text could move instead of your peepers?

15. Mako

This isn't an anti-animal testing rant, but using rabbits is going to give you a very limited test set there:

"Does it still draw power? Check. Is it irritating the eye? Nope. Okay Fluffy - tell me what you can see."

"..."

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

That's OK

Until you bring Algernon some flowers.

16. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

The state of the art

In exam crib sheets.

17. Ru
    Unhappy

I was disappointed

I first read the researchers as having 'tested [the contact lenses] on rabbis'. Alas, only bunnies assisted with this project.

1. Swedish Chef
      Alien

Not 'just' rabbits.

This shocking image has just been handed to me by an informant in a dark corner of a parking lot. It's a snapshot from the experiment:

http://88.84.11.236/stuff/Rabbid1.jpg

18. John Robson Silver badge

Glasses

are far to easy I presume....

Of course they'd be an easy way to put a power source within 2cm of the eyeball...

19. Graham Marsden
    Terminator

But...

... will it display 6502 assembler like the T-800 did?

20. Christian Berger

I want it as goggles

Goggles are cool and that would give me an excuse to wear goggles. :)

21. MrJP
    Thumb Up

Don't bother working on the power distance...

...just embed the battery into a pair of thick, dark sunglasses, a la the Terminator, so preferably some Gargoyles ANSI Classics. Sweet.

22. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Coat

Mmmm...

...a targeting system for shark adapted head mounted lasers?

23. arrbee

one immediate use

would be as a replacement for the mirrors on large trucks etc - i.e. project images from side & rear cameras onto "screens" in locations currently occupied by side/rear-view mirrors.

Maybe with a terminator-style outlining of targets^W cyclists.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like