back to article UK retailers launch pre-Xmas sales Yank style

Britain's sad bid to ape American traditions - trick or treat, I ask you… - continues this month as retailers launch Black Friday sales even though we have no Thanksgiving Day holiday to precede it. Amazon has been flogging off watches, electric toothbrushes, power tools and assorted second-rate fare this week, but will Dixons …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ElNumbre
    Stop

Black Tat

Not impressed with the deals so far - stuff that's massively over priced to begin with, or only discounted between 20% and 30%. Certainly not the bargains worth rioting for.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Tis the season...

... to buy tat, fa la lala laaa la laaa laaa laaa.

I suspect this xmas is going to be a tat lovers version of heaven, as the big ticket items, for many of us, are a thing of the past.

In 2006 & 2007, I spent about £500 on Xmas presents. This year, the budget is £50.

Retailers, for the third year in a row, are desperately pulling every trick in the book to sell more, but people just don't have the cash, so maybe Amazon is playing it the right way - sell the tat.

3. Jedit Silver badge
    IT Angle

Discount iPads?

I sense a great disturbance in the Force ... as if billions of Apple's lawyers all jumped in the air and shouted "Yay!".

4. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

What a relief. I'll be working on Friday so will miss all the {yawn} excitement.

5. Anonymous Coward 101
    Happy

Nothing wrong with discounting stuff that won't sell

It's much better than the usual modern way, which is to raise prices for a product in a few shops for a few weeks, then cut the price to great fanfare and call it a sale.

DFS are infamous for it, but it happens all over the place.

6. Blake St. Claire
    Terminator

Just wait

In another few years we'll all be mimicking our Chinese overlords.

Start getting used to the idea.

(And it's not our fault that you lot loved Dynasty. It's a slippery slope.)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPads...

iPad1, 3 of, check.

Kinect - 5 of(two ex-demo, three ex-display), check

Dr.. Dr... Driiiii.... Dreeee... Dre Beats headphones, also five, hold on, wtf is the sixth one!? Nevermind, check

Belkin USB 2.0 aka high-speed cable, down from 29.99, price slashed to 24.99, check

Mouse pad revolutionary (revolutionary mouse pad?), 2.5 mln, check

ok boys, let's rrrrrroll

8. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

"ape American traditions"

Try doing a bit more research.

Trick or Treating comes from the old tradition of "Guising" (as in disguise) which dates back to at least the end of the 19th century in Scotland and Ireland and versions are known from much earlier eg in the Middle Ages such as in the form of Christmas Wassailing.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick-or-treating for more details.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: "ape American traditions"

You don't think any of those really involve demanding confectionary with menaces, do you?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

menaces have origins in Oxford Uni in 1790?

not 1970, not the current cabinet, No - I mean the time of French Revolution and all that.

shudder - quoting Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mischief_Night

'I knew a guy' who regularly did 'Mischievous Night' (sic) Up North as a kid, gates off hinges, poo bags on fire on doorstep , many rather naughty things - assumed at the time that it was vaguely celtic and ancient. I doubt that a few sweet morsels would have bought off the hordes of malfaiteurs tho!

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

WTF has mischief night got to do with trick or treat? It's an old tradition related to bonfire night. Some claim it's actually a tribute to Fawkes, Catesby et al and in some way indicates unity with the plotters. Not sure I buy that, but it's certainly nothing to do with haloween.

Sure there's a lot of mischief of the burning poo on the doorstep and poo on the doorknob variety, but most of it relates to bonfire night itself. Fireworks down outside toilets (a la Keith Moon) were always a favourite. Setting light to ready built bonfires was another, hence most people would build their fires on the day. I seem to recall that most of the mischief revolved around bangers, the exploding shite being a perenial favourite. To do this you would get plenty of dog shit, bury a banger in it almost up to the top, light the banger and scarper. The resulting explosion was supposed to spread excrement everywhere. For this reason it was best carried out in an enclosed space such as a ginnel. Alternetively placing the IED on some poor unsuspecting persons doorstep and ringing the bell was the preferred tactic of some. The effectveness of this was usually somewhat diminished by the short fuse, so the banger would usually go off before the victim opened the door.

Unfortunately the way bangers explode means that it wasn't particularly effective at spreading the poo around. More often than not most of the explosive force was expended out of the top of the firework. Since this end wasn't buried in the faeces the poo would remain largely unaffected. That didn't stop kids trying it year on year though.

I was told years ago that A&E not only had to deal with a lot of kids with burns and other firework related injuries, but a lot of temporary deafness from kids who'd let off bangers in enclosed spaces.

I think it's less popular these days partly because of trick or treat, partly because kids are finding it harder to get hold of fireworks, partly because the good old cheap banger was banned and mostly because fireworks are avaible for much longer than they used to be so the attraction spreads over a much longer period and is diluted.

9. M7S

What's the betting (if there's anything worthwhile on offer)

on a hundred hour server crash?

10. garry_r

????

So, this supposed sale started over an hour ago... I don't see /anything/ on the Dixons site.... Am I missing something?

1. Jedit Silver badge

Nope

Some stuff on PC World, Currys and Comet sites though.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like