back to article Clooney fingered for Steve Jobs role in Hollywood biopic

Hollywood heartthrob George Clooney has been named as a lead contender for the role of Steve Jobs in the inevitable cash-in movie, planned to start filming next year. Although Jobs is barely cool inside his tastefully-designed final resting place, the race is on to find someone to sum up the hippy-turned-ruthless-tycoon. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dssf

I cannot just yet see how ...

Clooney even looks like jobs.

Is it the turtlenecks?

2. Nights_are_Long

Noha Wyle.

I think Wyle stands a better chance, he has played jobs before and the guy did a walk on pretending to be jobs at his request.

And he looks more like him.

3. jake Silver badge

Unfortunately ...

... it'll be based on the fictional "designed by Apple Marketing" Jobs instead of the actual RealLife[tm] Steve. Shame, that ... The reality is in my mind a much more interesting story, and would be a far more compelling "big screen" story.

4. Scott Broukell
    Pint

<insert title>

It surprised me that Jobs had not arranged for some cryogenic entombment system, he just seemed like the kind of person that would do that, maybe in anticipation of being re-animated centuries hence and playing himself in the first of many biopics to come. Then settling down, maybe re-branding, ready to release the next series of must-have gadgetry. Whatever is said about him and his product, he seems to have had a large amount of energy, drive and ambition and enough money for the cryogenics.

Whatever - RIP Steve - he started out in interesting times and I am still more than happy with my modest collection of early hardware, which still works fine and, imho, is far more worthy than more recent gadgetry from Apple.

He had vision, even if some didn't much care for the final horizons he settled on.

1. TheOtherHobbbes

Actually

"It surprised me that Jobs had not arranged for some cryogenic entombment system,..."

Where do you think Siri gets its personality?

5. Gregg Stuart

Noah Wyle

"And although Wyle hasn’t exactly been a notable success since ER,".

Have you never seen The Librarian?

On second thoughts, I see what you did there.

6. jason 7
    Meh

Tough job for Clooney.

I cant see him taking the role.

He just isn't that unlikable and whiny. Wont convince.

1. Jonathan McBrien
      Pint

Nathan Fillion

Not that Noah Wyle's a bad choice but what's wrong with Nathan Fillion for the role?

1. Southern

Because Nathan's sadly overlooked.

And there's not a power in the 'verse that can change that.

7. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Needed - actor with stubble who thinks they are Jesus

Surely a role for Mel Gibson ?

8. b166er

It's irrelevant really, 'cos that movie'll bomb.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will it...

...be filmed in iMacs?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

got two words in

Got to "heartthrob" and I stopped reading.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Forget Clooney, hire an actor

Clooney isn't an actor. He plays one person and one person only - George Clooney. He utterly ruined Batman by ... being George Clooney. (Amongst other films).

The *only* person who can pull off being themselves in any role is Sean Connery. Thinking about it, why not cast him as Jobs and have done with it.

1. jake Silver badge

Connery? Fageddaboudit ...

Steve hated shawkes. Or shoes, for that matter ...

The accent alone is jarring, just thinking about it ;-)

2. Goat Jam
      Holmes

Bollocks

Plenty of people can get away with playing themselves;

Clint Eastwood

John Wayne

Frank Sinatra

Dean Martin

Steve Buscemi

Danny Devito

Michael Caine

Are just a few off the top of my head.

12. Sineira

Shouldn't that be "Hollywood myopic"?

13. Chuckl

Surely a Pixar/Disney animation would be more true to life?

14. Dylan Fahey
    Paris Hilton

Who cares?

Why even waste OUR time looking at this. What a testament to the FAIL of 21st century civilization if this is what is celebrated or honored? A man that enslaved millions into DRM infected CRAP.

Get your priorities straight people.

For Paris, of course my video will get more views and downloads than any 'n00b' apple guy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Grow up.

15. Jon B

Goose

I thought you meant Anthony Edwards inthe article title.. he's got the hair

16. This post has been deleted by its author

17. The BigYin

Fer real?

I know Jobs got all the hipsters and creatives wet in their pants and there is no doubt Jobs was a smart man, but does he really deserve all this adoration and worship? There are people who are far more important in IT who seem to get no credit at all.

Dennis Ritchie (to name but one). Let's see the movie about his life first. Without Ritchie there would have been no Apple! At least, now Apple in the form people drool over today.

Cue the downvotes from the Jobsian collective.

18. lurker

Tom Cruise?

Tom cruise and Steve Jobs looked quite alike in their younger days (google image search Steve Jobs, check the famous 'holding an apple' picture if you don't believe me). Plus Tom has the 'cult' thing down already, so little research will be needed for method acting.

19. The Indomitable Gall

Christian Bale?

I only know one actor who's willing to do the weight gain/loss thing for his roles and that's Christian Bale. And he's a good actor who does a good line in both slick and crazy.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Arnie's agent

If Swartzenegger doesn't get the Dr Who gig he could fall back on this role.

I think he wore glasses in a film once.

21. dssf

Maybe the Apple Version and the Movie Version will be like Life and the Bible?

"Book: "What are we up to, sweetheart?"

River: "Fixing your Bible."

Book: "I, um...(alarmed)...what?"

River: "Bible's broken. Contradictions, false logistics - doesn't make sense." (she's marked up the bible, crossed out passages)

Book: "No, no. You - you can't...

River: "So we'll integrate non-progressional evolution theory with God's creation of Eden. Eleven inherent metaphoric parallels already there. Eleven. Important number. Prime number. One goes into the house of eleven eleven times, but always comes out one. Noah's ark is a problem."

Book: "Really?"

River: "We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit 5000 species of mammal on the same boat." (rips out page) "

http://www.thehallway.net/storage/fireflyquotes/index.htm

22. Stupidscript

Only one choice stands out

Danny DeVito.

He's the closest to the Jobs mystique you'll find. Everyone else is just a poser.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like