back to article UK cops: 'We thwarted Royal Wedding web attack plot'

UK cybercops have claimed credit for preventing attempts to blast the official Royal Wedding website offline in April, following the arrest of a teenager suspected of masterminding the attack. Detective Superintendent Charlie McMurdie said that preemptive action was taken to keep the site, dedicated to the marriage of Prince …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ray0x6
    FAIL

NOW I CAN DIE HAPPY

Thank God the police have finally woken up to online security. Arresting such a dangerous criminal intent on taking down an important piece of national infrastructure such as the Royal Wedding website must have absolutely made their day. *kills self*

1. Andy 97

Fail yourself..

The "friend of humanity" that wanted to vandalise (what was) a happy day for many people.

Some people actually like the idea of the wedding, happy people and a nation coming together to celebrate it.

Regardless of your views on The Monarchy, this was vandalism.

As a minor it's unlikely he will get any more than a caution and we should be thankful that his age means he might mature enough to avoid this stupid activity in the future.

At least the Old Bill actually have the skills to detect this activity, a big improvement I'd say.

1. Just Thinking

@ Andy 97

He was arrested for attempting to incite the attack. That probably means he sent a message to his mates saying "wouldn't it be funny if..."

Any indication that he had the means to mount an attack? If so why would he need to incite anyone else? Perhaps he just thought that if everyone he knew logged on at the same time it might bring the site down? That's DDOS innit?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'the skills to detect this activity'

Those skills consisting of, the ability to read some numpty's Facebook page.

Regardless of your views on the monarchy, you have to admit that this is not the collar of the century, and the real threats continue.

The website is still available. It seems to have been built by Accenture who, I'm sure, followed best practice and closed all potential vulnerabilities.

2. hplasm
    Happy

'We thwarted Royal 'Wedding web attack plot'

As is, of course, tradition.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, now we can all rest easy

Imagine if this dastardly plot had succeeded. We would have had to focus our apathy on traditional channels.

Cyberplod, we salute you.

4. dephormation.org.uk
    Meh

Amazing.

I'm so glad the UK has an e-crime unit.

God knows how we would manage without them.

Remind me again, what did they do to stop large scale attacks on the UK telecoms infrastructure?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Elite cops

Waouw, so our "Elite Cybercops" managed to stop a script kiddie from playing on Royal wedding website (hardly a matter of national security if it was down),

It would be the equivalent of SO13 arresting a 3 years old stealing a lollipop from Tesco.... except SO13 would probably have teasered the toadler.

1. Bumpy Cat
      Happy

"Teasered the toadler"?

I don't know if you meant to type that, but it's pretty good. Toadler is very accurate!

6. Lyndon Hills 1
    Happy

teasered the toadler.

Yes, i know what you meant but I like this.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prison time would do him good

He needs a little 'time out" in prison to get his attention.

8. David 45

Important news

Well.....this is really the most earth-shattering and dangerous news I've heard in a long, long time and self-evidently JOLLY IMPORTANT. Rather than the police wasting their time and public resources on mundane happenings like robberies, burglaries, muggings, rapes and murders, they obviously have their priorities right in this case, eh?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like