back to article Irish website promises you'll never miss a funeral again

Irish netizens and their country's diaspora need never miss an important demise in their homeland again, after the launch of DeathIreland.com. The site promises to keep subscribers "up to date with all the deaths in your town, city or county - and much more". The much more appears to be interactive mapping to every church and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 47

Having a large attendance at the funeral is considered a sign that the person was liked and respected and certainly is a consolation to the grieving family. A well attended funeral is considered a 'good funeral'.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

"There's no bad publicity except an obituary."

Funerals are big in Ireland. Many consider the attendance to be some metric of of the deceased's life.

Pirate icon for the skull.

3. David Evans

Not the first

I think there was one called rip.ie as well. Biggest shock to my system when moving to Ireland was the whole death thing; not only do you have the funeral, but also the "removal" the day before (both excuses for a drink), and its routine to go to the funerals of people you've never met; I was dragged along to the funeral of a friend of my partner's father within weeks of moving here (never met the guy in my life, and certainly not in his...) and the church was mobbed. And yet I wasn't expected to put on a black suit and tie as I wasn't a family member. Its all very confusing for a poor (non-practising) protestant English boy.

4. mcgenius
    Coat

I suspect every politician in the country will be signing up for this (and expensing it too!). Election posters, manifestos, and black-tie dinners are all well and good, but you can't beat being seen at a funeral as a sure-fire vote-getter.

Mine is the long black frock coat that helps lend the right air of sombre gravitas to the tea & sympathy process. You don't mind if I help myself to this last bun, do you?

5. SK
    Meh

No the first

This isn't the only or the first site offering death notices in Ireland. www.rip.ie has been doing for a while.

6. Graysonn

I was dragged to funerals when I was a child for people I've never heard of. You'd attend funerals for the neighbours of friends.

And it's true about the radio.

TD's (the irish equivalent of MP's) would be expected to turn up at every funeral too. was was considered part of their job.

7. Mage Silver badge

More than a glass of Sherry usually too.

The post is required, and must contain letters.

8. John 62

Funerals in England

As a Northern Irelander, It always amazes me how long it is before the funeral happens in England, though here, if the death was on a Friday and the funeral is on a Monday, it's a bit of hassle getting the afternoon off. I think waiting two weeks is a bit extreme and just prolongs things too much.

Not all of us treat the wake and the post-funeral food as an excuse for a drink though, unless you mean tea.

Living in a rural area with lots of country churches, nearly every funeral I've been to has been in a church or conducted by the minister in the person's home and there are loads of people who will never darken a church door on a Sunday, but will go to every funeral.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

I guess it is a cultural thing, I think that having a funeral less than about 2 weeks after the death shows indecent haste and a desire to get rid of the dead person as soon as possible.

9. disgruntled yank

Well

A journalist in Washington, DC, once referred to the obituaries as "the Irish sporting pages." I suppose the term must have been current here about 75 years ago.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not following it...

I understand the funeral popularity (it's a bit like that in the north of Scotland too) but I don't get the tracking element of the site; do you pick ten likely candidates each year? Seems a bit like death bingo; what happens if you get a full house? Discount on next year if none of your numbers come up?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like