back to article TalkTalk gears up to 2012 YouView roll-out

YouView, the UK's 'IPTV Freeview', is "on track" to launch in 2012, participant telco TalkTalk has said. TalkTalk, posting its interim financial results, said: "Development within the YouView team is progressing well, and within TalkTalk we are making great progress on provisioning capability. "We are on track to offer a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sloping Shoulders
    FAIL

Depends on your broadband

I used to be looking forward to this - but I now realize it will be pointless for me - in a area where we get no broadband vendor choice, and the speed we do get (~6Mb drops by 90% in the evenings) so YouView will be SlowView or NoView for us. Mind you Freeview is the same now - 4 analogue channels is all we get now - waiting for the April switchover to see if we will get anything more. That's life in Surrey for you

1. Dave Bell

My experience suggests the Switchover will improve things. I don't have a clear view of the nearby Belmont transmitter; like most of the village, we have to point our aerials at Emley Moor. The power increase meant that we could stop using aerial amplifiers, and we were also getting a strong enough signal from Belmont, about 100 degrees off-axis to be get viewable oictures. So it might be worth the wait for you.

Doesn't matter which ISP you're with, it's the strand of copper between you and the exchange which is the key. Your's sounds pretty decent. Maybe the evening choke-off will ease, as capacity is added to cope with YouView. I'm not sure I want any more TV, but will I have to subscribe to be able to get useful bandwidth?

I have some "hard" questions which the sales-droids never seem able to answer. That could easily be another, but since they will be advertising the hell out of YouView, I doubt it will be as difficult as learning whether there are plans for IPv6

2. KevinLewis
    Facepalm

TalkTalk?

Damn didn't realise they were running the show... won't be buying into that then.

This topic is closed for new posts.