back to article One in six Americans used social web to get their job

A study of workers in America showed that one in six (17 per cent) of them found their current job through a social networking site. Referral from a contact was the most successful tactic for finding a new job, with 36 per cent gaining employment that way. Newspapers and internet job boards came next and many people used …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Miller
    Stop

So

a recruiting platform for the social web thinks that Facebook is the best place to look for a new job. I hear the local Macdonalds is hiring.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Glad to know that I'm one of the 5 who didn't...and never will.

I patently REFUSE to use these LAME social networking sites.

3. petur
    Boffin

only 17%?

When I was made redundant (years ago), the outplacement agency told us to focus on our social network (real one, facebook didn't exist yet) for job opportunities. And that's how I found mine...

1. Chris Miller

Absolutely - I had a similar experience. But I think there's a huge difference between contacting real-world friends and former colleagues to find work and using pseudo-friends on Facebook or even LinkedIn.

4. disgruntled yank

was the survey done on Facebook?

that's all...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Most people used a combination of factors, but social media made a strong showing, accounting for 15 per cent of people's current jobs."

So a lot of people said, "I'm looking for a job" at some point?

6. LarsG

1 in 6 found a job

5 in 6 DID NOT. For better odds go elsewhere.

7. jake Silver badge

I use social networking when recruiting.

If an applicant lists social networking as a "skill" or sends a link to their !GooMyFaceYouTwit site, their resume/CV goes into the shredder. Handy filter, that :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like