back to article Boffin bothers frogs until they spill super power secrets

A springy catapult tendon is what sends frogs flying far beyond what their muscles alone could achieve, a boffin researching frog jumps has discovered. By attaching metal beads to the shin bones, ankles and leg muscles of frogs and filming them jumping with a 3D X-ray video camera, Henry Astley a biomechanics grad student at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

10 out of 10 sir!

I doff my cap in respect, sir, for the proper, honest to god, mad scientist side-burns! well played that man!!

2. NightFox

Letter to The Times, 17th November 1887

Sir, With my time machine now complete, I shall travel forward to the twenty first century and use technology beyond imagination or compare to experiment with frogs.

3. James Hughes 1

Awesome

beard....

Didn't notice the frog....

4. Z-Eden
    Trollface

Can I be the first to say...

... that is a serious beard!

5. bharq

a 3D X-ray video camera - could I have one of these? A hell of a lot of interesting possibilities is entering my mind

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Chris Seiter
    Boffin

Frog Experiments

This reminds me of that old frog experiment joke. Take a frog and blow a whistle to make it jump. A frog with 4 legs jumped 4 feet. Cut of one of the legs and blow the whistle again. A frog with 3 legs jumps 3 feet. Cut off another leg. A frog with 2 legs jumps 2 feet. Cut off another. A 1-legged frog jumps only one foot. Cut off the final leg. A frog with no legs is deaf.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alternative Caption

I'm getting out of here before this mad hairy bastard starts cutting my legs up...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Awesome

"Biomechanics grad Henry Astley with a frog: The frog can be explained, the 'burns can't"

The sideburns can be explained by the phrase "Biomechanics grad"...

1. Mark McNeill
      Linux

"Why, yes, as it happens I am a Linux user. Why do you ask?"

10. adnim
    Joke

If one conducted the kind of experiment on humans that Galvani conducted on dead frogs legs, I would guess that a human could jump pretty far too

11. Eddy Ito
    Pint

'burns?

Those aren't 'burns, it's the anti-ghotee from Row-dye-lan. I wonder if it keeps his ale cold.

12. mhenriday
    Unhappy

Pity that the way things are going with amphibians these days

(http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/nov/16/amphibians-terrifying-extinction-threat), Mr Astley & Co may soon have no frogs left on which to experiment....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.