back to article Java's 'Steve Jobs' moment in 2012?

Five years after Sun Microsystems finally released Java under the GPL, Oracle has been pushing hard on the OpenJDK. The OpenJDK project followed shortly after Sun’s open-sourcing of Java in November 2005; it’s both a free-and-open-source implementation of Java Standard Edition (Java SE). The project has seen a fresh lease of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jeckle
    Stop

Its a sign

I think that fact that no-one cares enough to have posted a comment yet speaks to me as to where Java sits as a language.. or to the fact that no-one really reads news sites outside of working hours e.g. during lunch. I am going back to Java after a few years to code Android applications, other than that I really fail to see a reason to start a new project using this language which currently feels very "up in the air" to me

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Stop that soliloquizing! You woke me up!!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

think that fact that no-one cares enough to have posted a comment yet...

Sorry, I was busy. Anyway, please don't judge the worthiness of a language by the number of posts shortly after an article about it was published -- as soon as one of the Reg's hacks write something about (pick: Snobol, Prolog, Lisp, Pascal) a lot of old farts (including myself) will comment on that.

3. Rolf Howarth

I'm far too busy making a real living writing real apps in Java to have time to post on any discussion forums. I have very little interest in new language features that may appear at some time in the future given that Java already provides everything I need and more, and has done so for years. Why do people feel they have the incessant urge to fiddle with things that are already ideally suited to doing the job?

1. Goat Jam

"I'm far too busy making a real living writing real apps in Java to have time to post on any discussion forums."

Apparently not

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Given...

... ElRegs clear lack of knowledge regarding programming languages and their actual grunt-work, non-hyped uses and the general irrelevance of their articles on programming languages, I don't think it is a big surprise that no-one responded. ElRegs articles on Java usually don't exceed the basic level of trolling.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Given...

We commission many experts in their field for our articles, including Matt Stephens.

http://www.softwarereality.com/MattStephens.jsp

2. Tom 7

Is it safe to use it?

What with oracle suing google for wearing a java t shirt in a built up area?

3. GrumpyJoe
    Thumb Down

I took one look

and realised enterprise dev (esp. in java) seems to be nothing more than writing glue code to join other people's stuff together.

Yawn.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      FAIL

Err... what?

1) Not so. You can write and run your own stuff.

2) Having a job will make you realize that 60% of the problems are exactly about "glueing". An additional 20% are dealing with office friction. Some people think they are bold and creative and start doing some things themselves. Unfortunately, they are like George Lucas and you will end up with an Episode 1 (reinvented flat tire).

1. Knochen Brittle
        Devil

@DAM, surely you mean ...

more like 80% of all job problems are due to orifice friction ... interference fit ... beer googles ... swarfega mistaken for lube ... etc., etc.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's going to be a cold day in hell

'We’re hoping to put JavaFX onto iOS'

Good luck at succeeding where Adobe failed with Flash.

5. Tchou
    Joke

Java is a thing of the past

Well not really, but someone always have to say that.

1. F Seiler

If only the hipsters stopped inserting random silly featlets everyone will have forgotten about in 5 or 10 years, it might someday become almost as respectable as C.

/not so sure about whether i should add the joke icon too, or i'm actually serious.

1. Tchou

To say the truth

I was not sure with my own post either.

6. clean_state
    Stop

meh?

iOS and Android already have their dev environments. Who wants another layer of SW on top of that ?

If you do not want to code natively for the platform, then make a web app.

1. Blank Reg

For simple stuff sure

But if you're doing anything even moderately complex then you will soon be banging your head on html5 limitations. If you really want a full blown portable app then Java is the way to go.

1. Nathan 6

Good point

Good point. People should really ask themselves, if HTML5 is so good then why is Android's and iOS main APIs are not based on it? As a matter of fact, only OS which did have HTML 5 based API is effectively dead (WebOS),

What I have noticed is that developers who only do html/css/AJAX stuff really don't seem to understand what's needed to do a complex of applications. They take a look at web mail client or something, and think anything can be done in ajax/html. Those of use coming from desktop app world seem to have much better idea of the limitations.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Kind of the point of Java is local execution and cross-platform portability. Not everything is a web app.

3. KitD

Brace yourself ...

http://osjs.0o.no/

or

http://www.masswerk.at/jsuix/

It's platforms all the way down !

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like