back to article Jilted man swaps engagement ring for Halo suit

There's nothing worse than splashing out on a hugely expensive engagement ring only to be dumped before you can drop to one knee. When such tribulation was bestowed upon Halo fan Eric Smith, though, the traumatised chap wasted no time toughening up. Smith flogged the lucrative piece of jewellery and bought himself a full body …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. vic 4
    Trollface

long time obsession with acquiring Halo kit

Possibly he should have maybe spent more time with his partner than obsessing about a game and she wouldn't have gone elsewhere.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

If he has the money to waste on the engagement ring, why not waste it on something else that isn't entirely symbolic instead?

2. Michael Thibault

Lemme fix'at for ya

Rather than obsessing about a game, he should have spent more time with his partner--and she possibly wouldn't have gone elsewhere. Could happen! Or not. Depending.

(Need: a fixer-upper icon!)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Way to go Eric!

If it can help to make his day and bring a smile on his face after a disastrous romance, I'd say it was worth every penny!

@vic 4: not spending his money towards an expensive kit he's was dreaming about so that he could buy a ring for the missus clearly shows how wrong you are.

3. Jim 59

Moving on

A bit daft but he's got the right attitude IMO.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Vic4

I totally agree. I've romanced more than one video game widow. :-)

@AC

If you don't have interests in common with your partner, you're probably not really suited to each other. If you can't tolerate those interests of your partner that do not coincide with yours, ditto.

FWIW, my current partner likes to play computer games, as do I. My ex liked to talk about shoes, a lot, despite my repeatedly making it clear that I had no interest in such things. I had no issue with her obsessing about shoes, but I didn't especially want to have repeated lengthy conversations about them.

5. br0die
    Megaphone

Did he bring a costume or did he buy a costume? Proofread!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

win-win

think of the pulling power when suited and out on the town, looking for a laydee...

all the best with that, m8

With any luck

he'll find himself a lady friend who equally enjoys playing Halo (I am assured such creatures do exist), and they will be very happy together.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You mean

one who isn't a man pretending to be a woman to get attention/troll other men?

2. Muscleguy
        Happy

Lucky Me

I'm married to one. She wasn't one when we married as Halo wasn't invented in '86, but I did encourage her to ditch Chemistry for CompSci as a major, to which she then added a separate Maths degree.

7. LPF
    Thumb Up

@Cricri

Why spend money on some slapper, while you can spend it on something that will actually mnake you happy, hopefully she will catch an STD off Bruce Lee!

8. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

Makes sense.

What better way could there be to show the world that you are now without a girlfriend and restricted to the single player, first-person shooter version of sex?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Take me back to the 1950s,...

when it was acceptable to belt your partner for infidelity.

(And don't lecture me about equality, my father grew up watching my grandmother knock seven shades of sh!t out of my grandfather for walking in with dirty boots).

10. 0laf
    FAIL

What a waste. He should have spent it on hookers and booze like any good soldier.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

but surely, every time he looks at the armour, or re-tells it's story, he's going to be reminded that it was paid for by the engagement ring he didn't give his GF.

Not sure what I'd do with the money in that situation, I guess anything you'd buy with the money would have the same problem attached to it.

1. Meph
      Pint

Thirty degrees, thirty two degrees

He could have spent it building a theme park, with blackjack, and hookers!

I bet he wouldn't have cared much about where the money came from by the end of that party

12. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Maybe he's hoping.....

That his ex really goes for men in uniform?

Black helicopter, because I am sure there is something like that somewhere in HALO.

This topic is closed for new posts.