back to article Nokia exec confirms 2012 Windows 8 tablet release

Nokia will indeed release a Windows 8-based tablet next year, the head of the Finnish phone firm's French operation has confirmed. "In June 2012, we will have a tablet that runs on Windows 8," Paul Amsellem told French newspaper Les Echos. Nokia CEO Stephen Elop hinted earlier this month that such a gadget might be in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ralph B
    Trollface

A BMW maybe ...

A BMW with a Chrysler motor.

1. John 62
      Trollface

if the MINI is a BMW...

The 1st gen MINI had a Chrysler engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Hatch_(2001%E2%80%932006)

(and the Diesel had a Toyota unit)

The current one has a Peugeot engine!

2. DRendar
    Coat

Argh!

"Firm wants to be the BMW of smartphones"

So owners will walk around town, making turns without indicating, almost bumping into you and breathing down your neck in corridors?

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

"...auto maker BMW's 5 Series."

So, fugly as sin, pricey, a UI that the Byzantines would be proud of[1] and you only get the poverty specification as standard then?

[1] Ok I hear that i-drive has improved, so this may be unfair.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

BMW

so just how many aggressive, incompetent, thoughtless borderline-sociopaths want smartphones anyway?

5. Arctic fox
    Windows

The comparison with BMW was perhaps a touch unfortunate -:)

However, just to take the issue of the tablet (or maybe tablets) itself. It would of course be logical for Nokia to launch a tablet that has both wifi and 3G and that begs the question of which form factor they are like to use. I would not be amazed if they offered something in the 7 - 8 inch category as well as a 10 incher. The next question is which architecture they are likely to use. One could argue that ARM is an obvious choice if they aimed primarily at the consumer market but given that one of their major marketing strengths is in the business sector that suggests x86. Anyone got any ideas which way they might jump?

6. Ryan 7

I just want a WP7 slider with a landscape keyboard

HTC can whistle, they lost my confidence long ago with their fragment-y Sense crap. Come on, Nokia!

7. Herer

More like SAAB

Once great scandic car maker with flair for design ends up with detroit motors under the hood, and worse.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Swirlflaps !

Careful when you compare to BMW, I had a nice company 320D that ingested a swirlflap (Google it) and BOOM that's a new engine please.

As they are running MS software I'd compare them to more like KIA, cheap and nasty but functional.

9. Ru
    Facepalm

A new opportunity?

This implies there was an old opportunity for tablets.

There is no market for tablets, and there has never been one. People either want Apple gear, because it is Apple gear, or they want something that is exceedingly cheap yet otherwise as performant and useable as Apple gear.

Unless one of these new Nokia toys is going to come out for £100, then I don't really see them getting very far. The Win8 tablet market will be a crowded one, and *still* no-one will care because the problem with tablets is not and has never been their operating system.

Stick with the phones, chaps. You don't have much time left in which to redeem yourselves.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like