back to article Samsung pulls Galaxy Tab Android 3.2 update

Samsung has yanked the Android 3.2 Honeycomb update it posted last night for the Wi-Fi only version of its Galaxy Tab 10.1in after it quickly emerged that the software disables Wi-Fi. Certainly, that's happened to a fair few folk who did perform the update before the software was pulled. That said, not everyone appears to have …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 4

It's not a bug

It's an energy saving feature designed to draw customers that have been having issues with iOS 5.0.1.

;)

2. Patrick O'Reilly

How does an update get that close to release and not be tested properly?

3. James 51
    FAIL

Where were the testers?

See above.

1. Neill Mitchell

This is getting more and more common

The coders and testers have all caught Googleitus. This increasingly common condition causes the sufferer to believe that it's okay to release beta grade code for consumers to test for you and the inevitable problems can be simply solved by pushing out patches every few days and nobody will mind.

I had 3 apps last week update every day for a week (one updated 3 times in one day!) to fix bugs. Most of the updates were simply to fix new bugs introduced in the previous update. The time spent fixing bugs caused by rushing to issue updates would be better spent doing a bit of QA surely? This patch and update mentality is killing software quality.

One upside, old school coders in their 40's are in very high demand now ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bug reports != Fixes

Testers can report all the bugs they like, it doesn't mean they have any say in what gets shipped.

That's why most bug databases have the "as designed" and "post ship" status fields.

Just trying to post this message generated 3 internal server errors on the reg site :-)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Testing?

Pretty fundamental f* ups for a .x release on a single device - no wonder it got pulled.

Last I heard, the 10.1 was still "on hold", thanks to Apple's overactive lawyers - so this must be a pretty small subset of users?

5. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Roll-back?

Is it possible to roll-back this update? (My wife is still smarting after the 5.0 update to her iPod, which makes it crash continually, and she doesn't seem to be able to sort it)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Bristol

Take it into an Apple Store.

They will help you there. Even if it's out of warranty period.

6. Avalanche
    Facepalm

As a tester, I guess they focussed to much on testing factory images (ie re-imaging the device everytime with the newest test version), and that they did not perform sufficient testing with various upgrade scenarios (or if they did: they did not test sufficiently after upgrading the device).

7. Anonymous John

Samsung Conference.

"Right, you've all been testing the update for the past week. Any problems?"

Well, WiFi doesn't work."

"Anything else?"

"Bluetooth is broken."

"I found some video playback issues."

"The screen won't rotate."

"I can't get the Kies app to sync."

"But apart that, it's OK? Fine. Release it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Surely the last sentence would have been "Never mind all that are the corners on the icons square? If they are, then release it"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like