back to article Intel implants cash register to help flog Ultrabooks

MasterCard and Intel have announced they'll be working together to put NFC readers into Ultrabooks that will secure online shopping as well as user identity. The agreement between Intel and MasterCard involves putting PayPass-compatible terminals into Ultrabooks, so any thus-equipped Ultrabook will be able to operate as an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please buy our kit...

... so you can more easily give other people your money. This is the sort of approach that makes me go "and just what are you going to pay me to make me use this thing, eh?"

Also notice tacit admission that the biggest security problem is the user, which therefore must be inhibited from not spending anything through the vendor-approved channel(s). And your identity? That's now a number embedded in the cpu of your ultrabook. To be transfered to whichever party asks, using software... that also can't be trusted. And of course embedding a number in a chip does not at all guarantee that another bit of software elsewhere isn't sending out the same number even though it's not embedded in any yon chip. Bit of a sham to relabel an asset management assistance tool to "identity protection". I really don't need more marketeering lies with this.

One upside: Lose the thing and you might still have your phone to call everyone and cancel all your cards. Well, that's a relief.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

already out there

My 6 month old dell laptop has a smart card slot and contactless smart card reader. All it needs is the software and it should be able to work as a credit card terminal.

3. Robert E A Harvey
    FAIL

So something I can't afford now includes something I never wanted. How can I stand the excitement?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like