back to article Diaspora co-founder dies at 22

Open-source social network Diaspora has launched a redesigned alpha version of its software, with invites going out to users of the site hours before it was confirmed that co-founder Ilya Zhitomirskiy, 22, had died. Diaspora is considered by some to be an alternative to Facebook's silo effect, with users supposedly being given …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The BigYin

This is a real shame

He was part of a talented and dynamic team that "inspired" Google+.

(That is my opinion, yer honour)

2. br0die

Various blogs and news sites are saying it was a suicide, but this is yet unconfirmed.

3. Da Weezil

RIP

Whatever the circumstances attached to his death, it is sad to see a young life extinguished.

4. mraak

Wow

Just few weeks back I learnt of a friend of a friend jumping from Frisco bridge to death. Excellent coder and entrepreneurial person.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are too few people with the heart, brains, and yes, outright balls, to start businesses. Whether their ideas are prescient or foolhardy, bland or brilliant, executed deftly or disastrously, they help make the world. It is a shame to lose one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If only moer shared those values

Entrepreneurship is great just so long as I never have to work at the level of my full economic cost (thanks china! goodbye eurozone!).

Hello holidays, pensions healthcare and lots of free time - itza mi uman rietz otherwiz imma gonna riot.

6. Melanie Winiger

Unbelievable

Have you read his Twitter?

http://twitter.com/#!/zhitomirskiyi

Voice of a man who is busy and living life to the full - up until 13 October when he stopped.

Obviously something bad happened...

1. Wayland Sothcott 1
      Big Brother

Voice of a man with a bit of a political agenda. A man possibly about to be more powerful than the Facebook founders if he would only put the NWO coding into their social network software.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

You appear to have made a mistake - your icon clearly should have been the one three to the right and one up.

And to Melanie - a cheerful twitter record and a full life indicate, if you pardon my language, jack shit-all about someone's real mental state. Depression is not being bummed out for longer, or being really really sad, or being very tired like it says in those commercials with people touching their foreheads. I've seen close friends deal with it, and it is a shattering, wrenching horror - a kind of waking death.

As far as I can understand it, there simply isn't an axis of emotion you can use to describe it, a bit like the fourth dimension. And, to get to the point, people who deal with it are often quite capable of hiding it. It's probably a great way to learn acting...

Not only that, what do you -think- the guy's going to tweet? "It's about time this ended. Maybe tomorrow? Nah, 'House' is on."

Yeah, investors are going to eat that up...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like