back to article Top cop calls for tougher sentencing of cybercrooks

Cybercrims should get tough sentences, according to the head of Scotland Yard's e-crime unit, who criticised judges for going easy on e-banking fraudsters while throwing the book at the their old-school cohorts in crime. Det Supt Charlie McMurdie expressed frustration that cyber-fraudsters, such as those convicted as the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. J P

Interesting byline

Or did you mean old-school blaggers?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually...

Having been reading Inspector Gadgets fascinating blog about modern police work, I have noticed that a regular reoccurring complaint from him and other serving police officers is that penalties are too low to do any good and that crime does actually pay. This week he was getting a bit annoyed about a lad being fined less than the resale value of metal that he stole, making stealing in his words "good economic sense".

That, and the country squire handing out harsh sentences is long since gone, and has been replaced with very liberal judges from diverse backgrounds encouraged to understand criminals from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Personally, I thought all you needed to understand was to remember that everybody is equal in the eyes of the law, but apparently that principle is as dead as "meaningful sentences".

3. Blacklight
    FAIL

Blagged blog?

Strapline = Bloggers.

Article = Blaggers.

And here was me thinking you were denigrating the blogosphere!

4. Abhorsen

"Cyber hackers".

Hello, this is the Department of Redundancy Department, how may I help you?

5. Tim Nicholls
    Meh

Top Cop? Nope.

When did the rank of Detective Superintendent become 'top cop'? A Superintendent is a rank and file police officer, 2 promotions away from the lowest 'Chief Officer' rank. Senior police officer: yes, 'top cop': no.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Top Cop? Nope.

She's a 'top cop' on the basis that she's the head of Scotland Yard's e-crime unit and has 30 years, or so, of policing experience.

C.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tougher sentencing for corrupt coppers?

Nah - didn't think so.

7. JaitcH
    WTF?

It's similar to White Collar and Blue Collar crime

There are sentencing differences between White and Blue collar crime. Likewise between 'manual' crime and keyboard crime.

Of course, bankers not only have white collars but expensive suits and the don't get charged at all. Nor do, seemingly, all those cops running errands for NotW or accepting bribes.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like