back to article Don't get privates trapped in Facebook's silos, warn experts

The EU information security agency (ENISA) has warned that people can get too easily "trapped" into "personalised information silos" when using social networks. In a new report, the security experts said that there was a risk associated with the growing use of what it described as "life-logging" technology. ENISA said that a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

But is it...

... a 'life-logging' service or a 'life-flogging' service?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fairly obvious.

Yet apparently it needs saying.

On another note, who are these people?

3. Pat 11

the eu...good for something?

EU agencies seen to be about the only ones who care about privacy these days.

4. N2

Im afraid

its stable door open, horse long gone

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Continent Isolated by Fog

I guess (as someone who is concerned about my privacy, and repelled by the idea of submission to life logging) I'm not at risk of being 'locked in' then?

Phew. That was a close call.

6. Muscleguy
    Devil

What that be?

Excellent headline Vulture Central subs.

I knew there were other good reasons why I have, so far, managed to avoid joining any of these info hungry behemoths. Seems every other site I need to log into to use is now bugging me that my 'profile' is missing or extremely scanty.

Fine if you must make me turn ABP off to access the site, I'll oggle your advertisers' flash heavy crap. But you ain't getting my private info.

7. Atonnis
    WTF?

What's that, Sherlock?

Wow...no shit!

8. CT

Lifelogging a dead horse...

after the stable door was bolted in mid-stream, to mangle a few metaphors

9. jake Silver badge

For "oligopolistic", kindly read ...

"Multi-billion $CURRENCY international marketing corporation".

Some of us noticed this over two decades ago. Nice that the Euros are finally catching on to what has been obvious for nearly a quarter century.

Bottom line: If you wouldn't shout it from the roof-tops, don't feed it to a third party.

10. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Translation please

"leaving out completely on service participation"

"lever out net neutrality"

Any ideas as to what these strange-looking statements actually mean?

11. This Side Up
    Mushroom

To freely shift

"ENISA noted that the inability to transfer contacts and personal data such as photos from, say, Facebook to Google+ made it more difficult for users to freely shift their information around the interwebs."

Any photos I choose to upload are still on my computer. I can upload them to any other site if I wish to. No problem. If these people start messing about with the functions I use I don't mind walking. The amount of personal info is so minimal I can easily type my name again.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like