back to article Toyota, Intel connect to connect cars to web

Toyota and Intel are to co-operate on the development of next-generation in-car systems. The two firms' announcement was short on details, long on generalisation: they will "target appropriate methods of providing information to drivers through in-vehicle systems, as well as information technologies that would enable seamless …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. atomic jam
    Stop

More toys, more things to break down

More information for the driver! The only information a driver should be concerned with is what is in front of him/her, I've got two brothers who spend most of their driving time looking at the MPG read out than the fucking road, and I know of others who do the same, I don't have a fancy car with fancy displays, the ones I do use would be Speedometer and the red petrol light that grabs my attention once a week, the rest of my info comes from the road.

2. The Serpent
    Joke

Ah!

So you're the one I followed for 30 miles up the M1 with their right indicator on?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Make sure it's voice controlled! My kids have no end of fun shouting rude words at the voice recognition kit in my Honda.

Yeah I know should stop them and find something better to do, but you find something better to do with kids when you're on a 5 hour drive and stuck in a jam!

4. Tim #3

Give it a couple of years & they’ll have got into can bus hacks and will be getting it to shout back at you.

Beats me why manufacturers think we all want this sort of stuff in our cars. I’d like to buy one that’s more sustainable instead. I don’t demolish my house every 10 years and have a new one built, likewise I’d like my car to be something that I can similarly live with for a long time and upgrade and personalise too.

5. John Tserkezis

Great, just what I need...

...a car that while waiting in traffic says "There are new software updates available! You have selected to automatically download and install these updates. Please wait while I download 63 software patches and reboot 14 times, you may notice the engine stop and restart several times during this process, you will be able to continue your journey in about 45 minutes. Note, it is highly advisable you remain with your vehicle during this process. Toyota wishes you happy motoring!".

1. Chemist

"reboot 14 times"

Nah, mine will run Linux

6. spiny norman

Didn't Ford announce something similar a while ago? My impression up to now is that the standard of information and entertainment technology in the average car lags what should be quite easily and cheaply obtainable by quite a long way. Like how many cars can link to an MP3 player via USB and even show the track listing on the radio/CD display, let alone control what's playing. My laptop can, so what's the problem? All talk, and then nothing (useful).

7. earl grey
    FAIL

toyota doesn't need this

they need to work on getting back on track and not making trash vehicles and pay attention to what their customers really want...oh that's right...they don't bother to ask the customer what they think. luzers

8. ian 22

Microsoft? Automobiles?

The blue screen of death will no longer be strictly figurative.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like