back to article Apple posts 'battery fix' iOS update

Apple last night rolled out iOS 5.0.1, promising that the update flattens bugs that have caused iPhone 4S owners to suffer from rapidly depleting battery syndrome. The update - available through iTunes, or from the new Software Update entry in iOS' settings app - also makes it easier for Aussies to speak to the 4S' voice …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Annihilator
    Meh

Backwards

Note that although the new "over the air" option now exists, iTunes will alert you to update your phone when you plug it in, and then prompt to download the 700MB firmware. You then have to intuitively think "ooh, hang on, isn't there an OTA smaller option?", cancel it, and search for the software update in the settings of the iPhone (46MB). From what I can tell, there's no auto-notification on the phone itself.

a) why couldn't the phone alert you instead of iTunes allowing you to go straight to the OTA option and b) why can't iTunes manage to recognise only the 46MB download is required?

Hardly intuitive...

1. tony
      Happy

?

I was 'alerted' in the queue at starbucks this morning.

but your b) point is valid.

1. Annihilator

Jump

Maybe I jumped the gun then... Plugged phone in this morning to sync/charge, iTunes notified me. Would probably still be sitting there running the update had I not thought something was amiss..

2. twebeast

my 4s proactively downloaded the update and proudly stated the fact with an old-style notification, and a little red 1 on the settings icon.

my 4 didn't, though it's possible they're set up different

3. Matt K

I got a pop-up message on my phone alerting me to the (46 MB) update. Didn't go anywhere near iTunes, thankfully.

4. hitmouse
      Flame

Just wait

till the 501MB Garage Band needs a security update and the whole thing needs to be redownloaded

1. TheFifth

Notified on iPhone 4

My iPhone 4 popped up a notification alert. I said yes to installing and less than ten minutes later it was updated. iPad 2 was the same. All worked very smoothly indeed. I guess iTunes downloads the entire update so it's available should you wish to do a full restore. Would be better if iTunes had the option of just downloading the smaller patch though.

2. groovyf

App Store

Wonder if it should somehow be included as a notification when you go to check App Store on the phone along with any installed App updates required.

3. Chris Holt
    Unhappy

Doesn't fix the reception issue I have

It seems to poll very infrequently to get reception, or know when it has lost it at least

I managed to get down to the Jubilee line at Waterloo and all the way to London Bridge, and it still had 1 bar. And thats on Three, the entwork which barely has one bar at street level....

1. DAN*tastik
      Stop

I live not far from Waterloo and 3 works fine

3 mobile are partially to blame because they knowingly sold you a handset not fit for purpose, but there's nothing wrong with their network - or is it just me and people I know being very lucky?

Next time you have to choose a phone, check the forums first and look for one that is more versatile when it comes to holding options.

4. Andy Roid McUser
    Joke

Wonder how they fixed the Battery issue

Maybe the same way as they fixed the signal display in the iPhone4 - change the algorithm that calculates how much battery is left..

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"iOS 5.0.1 runs on every iPhone from the 3GS upward, plus the first- and second-gen iPads and the third- and fourth-generation iPod Touch"

The Android I had was effectively obsolete after 6 months as the manufacturer was not releasing any updates / security fixes etc.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Change to a real version of android then....

Get rid of your operators variant and add in the latest version .....

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

You shouldn't have to....

You pay for a device, you should get support for a device for a reasonable period.

Not all folks have the skill/time to investigate how to do custom stuff like this. While it might be geeky fun to do these things, average people shouldn't have to.

This is what will put people off - and drive people towards brands with better support - like Apple.

7. Terry Donovan
    Unhappy

I still get poor battery life after 5.1 update

I installed the new update last night, I had it on charge over night and it had a 100% when I got in to work today, a couple of texts and 1 short phone call 5 updates to apps used 20% of my battery its worse than it was before, and I have turned off all the location services, whats up Apple!!

1. TheFifth

How big were the five app updates and did you download over WiFi? If they were large it's probably what has drained your power so quickly. WiFi seems to eat through battery power.

8. Yves Kurisaki
    FAIL

This is worse

I had fixed my phone myself already using various techniques (setting reset, trickle charging, etc.)

I know installed this update and my phone is discharging a lot faster than before.

What a mess.

9. LarsG

THAT NOISE AGAIN

The sound of all these big girls blouses are making a noise like the whine of a gearbox about to expire.

Even those of us living miles from habitation are being disturbed at night by the

Moaning

Whining

Crying

Whinging

Of the Apple-istas going on about the most important thing in their life, a battery.

Please someone, take these sad lonely unfulfilled unimportant irrelevant people to a vet and have them put out of their misery. It would be a mercy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like