back to article Eleven - if you will - rocktastic music movies

11 November 2011 - 11/11/11 - is Nigel Tufnel Day, a day to celebrate pushing the envelope as far as it can possibly be pushed - and then pushing it one step beyond that. As Spinal Tap's lead guitarist would say: "An 'undred years ago, a great war - the greatest since the Romans - came to an end. It was all quiet on the Y …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Thumb Up

How about

"Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones ?

2. Admiral Grace Hopper

s/School Of Rock/Slade In Flame/

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re:

Crikey, Slade's "Flame". I'd completely forgotten about that.

This is getting dangerously close to "From Russia with Elton" territory...

1. luxor
        Flame

The best of them all.

Indeed Tony How could you forget Slade in Flame.

The best one of them all.

Flame icon because it seemed apt ;)

2. Goat Jam
        Pint

Another Glaring Omission

Anvil: The Story Of Anvil

You start off thinking it is all bit of a joke as the 50 something members of the legendary 80's heavy metal band are shown delivering meals to school kids and other dreary day jobs while keeping the dream alive on the weekends, still trying to get that "big break" and reclaim their former glory.

Think a rock and roll version of "The Wrestler", only with real blokes .

By the end of the movie you are rooting for them to make it!

A true masterpiece.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1157605/

1. introiboad
          Thumb Up

this

Big thumbs up for you. Anvil is an exceptional film.

2. Marvin the Martian
      Facepalm

RE: s/School of Rock/Slade in Flame

Article sez "Black in one of his most memorable roles to date". That's technically true, but it's still an eminently forgettable role and movie.

You can have BOTH SoR+TenD in exchange for SiF. And I don't even like Slade.

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

Still Crazy

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149151/

Timothy Spall, Billy Connolly, Nill Nighy, Jimmy Nail, Phil Daniels, Bruce Robinson, about an aging rock band, getting together for one more gig.

And whilst not exactly about a band, Wayne's World is a love letter to Rock and Roll, and Wayne's World 2 shamelessly taking Danny The Dealer from Bruce Robinson's Withnail and making him a roadie. Classic.

1. Annihilator

By the same token as Wayne's World

I submit Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure for consideration...

4. Mick Stranahan
    Thumb Up

Excellent feature

'nuff said.

5. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

Not exactly just Rock

But Shirley the "blues Bros" should get a mention in passing at least?

Mines the one stuffed with DVDs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

My thoughts exactly.

If one can count the country and blues stylings of Johnny Cash in a list of 'Rock' movies (excellent biopic btw), then the only reason I can see for missing off The Blues Brothers is because it would eclipse Spinal Tap itself. Hell, I'd rather watch Blues Brothers 2000 again than the first eight of that list. At least John Goodman could actually (surprisingly) sing. I mean, Jack Black, really?

Re: My thoughts exactly.

Nah. Blues Brothers is only funny if you're off your head. And then *anything's* funny.

If you too went to university in the mid-1980s and got rapidly sick of students constantly saying they're on a mission from God, you'd know what I mean.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Boffin

Haha - I didn't say it was especially hilarious (it's totally not Bill & Ted dude).

But it does feature some legendary musicians. Conversely, many of them credit that film with making them household names. And the music is amazing, and of course has both types -

Rhythm, and blues.

1. ThomH

And, you know, if Jack Black's on the list...

... then being funny isn't a requirement. Since he appears twice, you could even argue that being unapologetically unfunny was an advantage.

I vote for Tommy. Killing Bono was also as good as some of the films already on the list. But I guess Hedwig and the Angry Inch is an acquired taste?

1. Marvin the Martian

"Hedwig"'s not rock. And definitely acquired [after]taste.

Even the Rocky Horror Picture Show's more rock.

1. ThomH

@Marvin

Per wikipedia, it's "a rock musical about a fictional rock and roll band". Similarly, IMDB describe it as being the story of a "transexual punk rock girl from East Berlin [who] tours the US with her rock band".

2. ChrisC Silver badge

"...and got rapidly sick of students constantly saying ..."

Perhaps they all just thought you needed help playing Starglider 2...

6. Dave 126 Silver badge
    Happy

Del Preston revise

"...This might be the reason why Keith Richards cannot be killed by conventional weapons."

1. Annihilator
      Happy

:-D

"Sri Lanka! Formerly Ceylon, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night"

I'm off to dig out the DVD and bore the arse of my fiancee, I'll pass on her thanks in advance.

7. Craig "Spuddleziz" Smith
    Thumb Up

What about...

....The Last Waltz: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077838/

.. i mean it comes up in big letters at the start "THIS SHOULD BE PLAYED VERY LOUD". Superb!

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

One of the great things about that film was that it didn't matter where you went to see it, there would always be a doddery old pensioner couple sat somewhere in the theatre. Who would leave as soon as the film started.....

I've no idea if that was deliberate, but it was bloody funny.

8. Mondo the Magnificent
    Thumb Up

Missing?

Walk The Line is an excellent choice, to be honest I believe Joaquin Phoenix was convinced he was Johnny Cash and Reece Witherspoon's brillaint performance as June Carter got her a well deserved Oscar.

Thanks for the great review El Reg, there are some I need to add to my "must watch" list.

I'll get my oar in and add two rock movies I thought worth mentioning are:

That Thing You Do (1996)

A Tom Hanks production and starring Mr. Gump himself, but it shows the typical 60's rock/pop era and follows a one hit wonder band on their short lived journey to stardom. Notable performances from Liv Tyler, Steve Zahn and Tom Everett Scott.

Rock Star (2001)

Starring Marky Mark Wahlberg as a tribute metal band front man singer who's dreams come true when he's invited to join "Steel Dragon" the band he's been idolising.

The wild parties, groupies and lifestyle doesn't quite cut it for the new front man and yes, he opts out, but in style..

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Megaphone

Rock Star is based on a true story

To be exact, it's a highly fictionalised version of events surrounding Judas Priest.

I'm going to second the nomination for The Blues Brothers - particularly in its extended cut that contains the full rendition of "Boom Boom" by John Lee Hooker - and question the omission of Anvil! The Story of Anvil, the Lemmy movie, and anything Scorsese has directed about music.

9. bob_walker99

Bad News?

and More Bad News. Yes, I know - Bad New is to Spinal Tap as Mr Jolly is to Withnail. But still.

1. Neil 30

Mr Jolly Lives next door has to be one of the best films of all time. "Nicolas bloody Parsons!"

10. Tim Jenkins

TOWIE

You missed 'That'll Be the Day' (1973) and its sequel 'Stardust' (1974). Great Brit-flicks to counter all that merkin tosh. Keith Moon, Billy Fury, Adam Faith, Marty Wilde, Ringo as character actors and even David Essex is quite bearable in the lead role. Shame so few people know about these; I mean, 'School of Rock', really?....

1. GrahamT
      Thumb Up

I still have the (vinyl) double albums of both films. Shame the fourth side of the latter is all David Essex.

11. Stefing
    Thumb Up

Also

A good list but I would also have included Anvil - much like This is Spinal Tap but THEY'RE REAL.

Also: the ending had me in tears.

1. Graham Marsden
      Happy

Don't forget...

... that several prominent rock musicians (eg Ozzy Osborne to name just one) thought that This is Spinal Tap was real because they had had events like getting lost backstage actually happen to them!

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart

I've seen Alice Cooper comment that Tap had to be written by somebody in the biz, he also said that he managed to get lost in a stadium on the way to the stage once!!!

12. Captain Hogwash

Pink Floyd's 1980 album...

...was actually released in 1979 here in their native UK and spawned the Christmas number one in that year's singles chart. Replace the country music nonsense with Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii and you've got yourself a list.

1. Jedit Silver badge

No dice

This is a list of films about music and musicians. Live at Pompeii is (technically) a live concert movie, so I'm not sure if it counts.

1. Captain Hogwash

Hmmmm

In the full version there are bits of interview and pie eating and stuff, so not just a live concert movie. But even so, why wouldn't it count? Anything Pink Floyd related seems more appropriate than anything country music related in a list of "rocktastic music movies".

1. Jedit Silver badge

It's Johnny Cash, though

He covered Nine Inch Nails and did it better than Trent Reznor managed in the first place, so he qualifies.

Seriously, a lot of Cash's stuff is quite rocky. When The Man Comes Around springs immediately to mind.

1. Mr Brush

^This, in spades

The first time I heard his version of 'Hurt', I cried like a baby.

13. Natalie Gritpants

You can't beat Flashdance

The post is required, and must contain letters.

1. Efros

Yeah ye can

You just need to find the director and a big enough stick.

What about Tommy?

Re: Yeah ye can

We ruled out Tommy because it's a musical and not actually about musicians.

1. GrahamT
          Boffin

A Musical...

Doesn't that also apply to "The Wall"?

At least in Tommy you see musicians performing most of the way through. (Elton, Tina Turner, etc.)

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Mushroom

Give me a big enough bloody stick with nails in it and I'd be prepared to have a go.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wot? no Flight 666 ?

15. Aldous

Bad News

No mention of the comic strip's bad news/more bad news? meh

16. Joe Carter

Anvil

Anvil! The Story of Anvil http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1157605/

Superb documentary. Could have been Spinal Tap lite but instead is genuinely fascinating. You really feel something for the band.

17. gazlaz
    Meh

What??? No 'It Couldn't Happen Here'?

OK not rock, but still - if you want a movie about musicians that is, frankly, shit and baffling then it's the ONLY choice, for the sight of Babs Windsor getting covered in a fry up alone!

1. Soruk

Not quite how I'd have described it...

Yes, it's baffling and, quite frankly, it makes absolutely no sense at all, but I quite enjoyed it (the existentialist dummy, putting a print of brickwork on a billboard - on a brick wall, and of course Joss "Bucky Goldstien" Ackland), shame it was never re-issued on DVD.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tap rule

Anyone that thinks Americans cant do real humor should see Spinal Tap.

Im sure it pricked some over inflated rock ego's .Tufnel and his violin/guitar virtuosity is my fave bit.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      FAIL

So...

... that would be Americans like Christopher Guest, AKA the 5th Baron Haden-Guest?

19. wim

shounen merikensak / brass knickle boys

Japanese movie about a punk band.

It is one of the funniest movies I have seen this year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1313146/

20. edge_e
    FAIL

How on earth can you mention rock without lemmy?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1236472/

21. Peladon

Well, it wasn't...

... rock, so that's probably enough to have kept it out. But that doesn't stop me mentioning The Committments - so I will :-).

22. Tom Clark

What about us youngsters?

No Bill & Ted? or Wayne's World? Both would surely appear higher in the list than Tenacious D.

1. Vincent Ballard
      Thumb Up

Anything is better than Tenacious D, and Wayne's World is actually good so it's far better than Tenacious D.

23. Kirbini
    Thumb Up

Both of the Biopics could be replaced

By a single movie:

Sid and Nancy

I don't see how you could overlook that one.

In addition to the excellent nominations of Blues Brothers, I would also suggest Crossroads (Steve Vai's performance as Lucifer is to be seen).

1. APA

Not to be confused with "Crossroads" staring Britney Spears.

I've heard about that Steve Vai film but have never found copy to watch, with the BS version polluting all of my searches. There's also a link here, didn't Steve do that Wyld Stallyon "Excellent!" sting (plus a few others) in Bill and Ted?

1. Oliver 7

Let's not forget Ry Cooder, who played Ralph Macchio's licks.

24. Semihere
    Happy

One I was surprised not to see...

The Ramones - Rock n Roll High School... classic!!!

25. GrahamT
    Thumb Down

A few missing

Gimme Shelter - Stones

Live at Pompei - Pink Floyd

Help! - Beatles

Don't Look Back - Bob Dylan

No Direction Home - Bob Dylan

Monterey Pop

Woodstock (How could you miss Woodstock?)

Still, I can't argue with Spinal Tap at 11, they are still one better than anyone else.

26. James Hughes 1

Yellow Submarine

If only for the superb "Nowhere Man"

Re: Yellow Submarine

You're right we should have had Yellow Submarine in there.

Good call, sir.

27. hamsterjam

Not forgetting...

Eddie & The Cruisers

Take It Or Leave It

Head

Control

28. Bracknellexile

Everything's better with zombies

I would humbly nominate, from the annals of movies-so-amazingly-dire-they're-genius, Hard Rock Zombies, one of the worst/best b-movie rock flicks ever made :)

29. lee harvey osmond

I'm dazed, and also confused

*nobody* has seen fit to mention "The Song Remains The Same"?

30. Munchausen's proxy
    Pint

An underrated gem

"Get Crazy"

31. Whitter
    Thumb Up

Beatles humbug.

Anvil and Bill & Ted would be my "obvious omisions".

But what's a top list without a few obvious omissions?

PS: couldn't make a 'emissions' pun actually funny. Shame.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Paris Hilton

Did it for you

Paris, a source of obvious emissions.

Hint: nearly any double entendre works with Paris as we all dirty minded gits here....

32. Naughtyhorse

jack black

wtf?

I mean srsly wtf is this fuckwit doing in this list with sooooo many excellent movies missing?

You may as well have included byker grove cos ant & fecking dec were in that!

on the whole tho 9/11 (oooh conspiracy theorists go mental)

33. Chrome

Maybe not quite worthy of the list but I think Airheads is a worthwhile honorary mention

It does feature a small cameo by Lemmy

34. thomas k.

it's astounding ..

that you left off Rocky Horror!

1. Dapprman

Surely ... It's Astounding ....

Rocky Horror Picture Show is a rock'n'roll movie, not a movie about rock'n'roll ;)

For those die hards there's also Runaways, however you do need to be a fan of the band or of Joan Jett to get most out of it else it's a bit of a drag.

35. CADmonkey
    FAIL

Where in the name of rock and roll is Dig?

The Brian Jonestown Massacre - like spinal tap meets the f-f-freak brothers, but for real.

I'm serious, and so is Anton.

36. hornz
    Go

Great list but Crowe's earlier movie around the 90's Seattle scene, Singles, would have accompanied Almost Famous quite nicely. Ok it is technically a love story but does feature Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden amongst others.

37. Sam Therapy
    Thumb Up

Cracked Actor, anyone?

Yentob's feature on Bowie's uprooting to the USA, his change of musical direction and the increasingly apparent drug use makes a superb documentary.

Another vote for Anvil, too.

38. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Paris Hilton

What about...

I'd like to introduce you to the hardest-workin' band in the world. On bass, Derek "Meatman" Scully. On piano, Steven "Soul Surgeon" Clifford. Dean "Mr Nipple" Fay on sax. Joey "The Lips" Fagan on trumpet. Our gorgeous chanteuses are Bernie, Imelda, and Natalie. Deco "Deep Throat" Cuffe on vocals. On lead guitar, Outspan "Fender bender" Foster. Finally, on drums, Mickah "Don't Fuck With Me" Wallace. Ladies and gentlemen, The Commitments.

"Fuck me! I've just seen Imelda Quirke's arse coming over that wall!"

Joey teaching Dean to play Soul on the Sax:-

Joey: Are you doing what I said? Are you thinking of that reed as a woman's nipple?

Dean Fay: I am. But, I'm a little embarrassed, she's still in school.

Joey: Maybe you should set your sights a little higher? My trumpet was always Gina Lollobrigida.

Dean Fay: [thinking] How about Kim Basinger?

Joey: [holds his hand up to his chest as though cupping a breast] Is she?

Dean Fay: Oh, yeah!

Joey: Right. Pick a nipple and try again.

Paris...... is she????? (see how its done Whitter?)

39. Jan 0 Silver badge

Maybe not "rock' but "Stop Making Sense" is a mesmerising film and how could you overlook "Weld"? - which makes me wonder why no one's directed a Sonic Youth film?

40. Simon Smith 1
    FAIL

With the utmost due deference...

..Comic Strip's .Bad News Tour preceded Spinal Tap ergo Spinal Tap == Bad News Tour. And Bad News Tour was an order of magnitude better.

41. Cazzo Enorme

Passable list, although I would have included Still Crazy.

However, your descriptions of both 24 Party People and Control suggest you're note recalling either film too well. The first starts in the late 1970s, not the late 1980s, and Factory Records started as a record label - hence the name. The club (Hacienda) and bar (Dry) came later. In Control, Ian is clearly shown abusing prescription drugs, and while it's not acknowledged in the film, Bernard Sumner has spoken on at least one occasion of the band members regularly taking speed.

1. MrT
      Thumb Up

Still Crazy...

... can't beat a bit of The Fruits

"History teaches us that men behave wisely . . . once they've exhausted all other alternatives. For most rock bands, the pursuit of wisdom's a low priority compared to fame, fortune and fornication. Such a band was Strange Fruit."

42. davew_uk
    Coat

Talking Heads

Two pages of commments and no-one has mentioned "Stop Making Sense" yet?

43. Lord Lien

Heavy Metal...

... does that count?

"The Fate of these two will be decided at the Breastry Area in Nippopolis!" - Major boobage ;)

44. Russ Tarbox
    Thumb Up

The first ever film released on DVD

That little factoid seemed a little surprising. Some further research actually suggests that "Twister" was in fact the first ever film to be released on DVD. What was your source? Genuinely interested.

45. Kev K
    Trollface

Prince

Purple Rain has to be worth at least a mention

46. lardheppus
    Unhappy

Another ommission

Still no mention of the Leningrad Cowboys?

47. Richard Scratcher
    Coat

What?! Spinal Tap are American actors??

I'm not f**king having that! I'm getting me coat!

48. Patrick R
    Pint

What about The Doors ?

Or "It's all Gone Pete Tong" ?

49. Sandtitz Silver badge
    FAIL

Pitiful list

Leningrad Cowboys Go America is missing, why?

I demand an answer!

50. Wombling_Free

Hey, you forgot....

Young Einstein - starring the brilliant Yahoo Serious, the film covers the little know Australian years of Albert Einstein, from his youth in rural Tasmania to his invention of Rock'n'Roll. He also saves kittens along the way, and gives the best explanations of both the music theory of rock'n'roll and relativity you will ever see.

and...

Starstruck - a time capsule for Sydney's once vibrant pub rock scene, circa 1982. Brilliant music written by Tim Finn and performed by the absolutely delicious Jo Kennedy.

icon? none. none more icon.

51. Stoke the atom furnaces
    Megaphone

Others

The Filth and the Fury and Oliver Stone's movie "The Doors" would be on my list.

52. paulc

unbelievable...

no-one's mentioned Bandslam or The Rocker or Breaking Glass... come on now...

53. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd add Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

54. Winkypop Silver badge
    WTF?

Sorry, you lost me at...

"Funnyman Jack Black"

55. Grease Monkey Silver badge

School of Rock? Please, no!

I'm usually a fan of Black's work but that was truly cringe worthy.

56. GatesFanbois

Rockers??? What about the mods???

No Tommy or Quadrophenia, you greasy haired rockers are all the same

57. Oliver 7

Once

If Walk the Line can get in then Once should have strolled into the list. The leads play their roles convincingly and poignantly, apparently they fell in love whilst filming - it shows! Great film, if a bit 'chick-flick'.

Also not yet mentioned, there was Great Balls of Fire, Bird and Ray, though only the latter two are probably worthy of consideration. Bird may be decidedly not rock but it's rock'n'roll IYKWIM.

58. Armando 123
    Pint

How about

The Buddy Holly Story? Gary Busey was fantastic here, before he slid off the deep end.

La Bamba? I always had a soft spot for this movie, for r some reason.

The Blues Brothers? If you're going to include Walk the Line (an excellent movie), then blues should be included as well. With Aretha Franklin, John Lee Hooker, Cab Calloway, Ray Charles, etc etc etc, and classic catchphrases, it's definitely top 10. ("I hate nazis ...")

Mo Better Blues. Again, if you're including country, ...

Roadie. Okay, I'm kidding, this one was HORRIBLE, so bad that Jack Black and Chris Farley could have been in it.

Hail Hail Rock N Roll. I've always been a fan of Chuck Berry, to the point where I told my kids that they have to learn Chuck Berry riffs or I wasn't teaching them guitar.

Adventures in Babysitting. Yeah, I know, but there is that scene with Albert Collins saying "Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues."

59. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This Is Spinal Tap

Is so Eleveny that even the IMDB star rating goes to 11.. did you spot that? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/

60. Owen
    Pint

Jesus H. Tap Dancing Christ.

I have seen the light. Putting the band back together was a mission from God and yet you forgot the Blues Brothers!

They had a band powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline.

61. Euchrid

Head

No inclusion of The Monkees’ movie masterpiece? Seriously?

Written by Jack Nicholson and Bob Rafelson (who also directed), the film has a storming soundtrack – Peter Tork’s ‘Long Title: Do I Have to Do This All Over Again?’ and a live rendition of Nesmith’s ‘Circle Sky’ are two highlights.

The story is completely off the wall, satirising the film and music industries, as well as the band themselves:

"You say we're manufactured.

To that we all agree.

So make your choice and we'll rejoice

in never being free!

Hey, hey, we are The Monkees

We've said it all before

The money's in, we're made of tin

We're here to give you more!"

The opening sequence alone would justify the cost of admission.

62. Fading

Wot no Street's of Fire?

Am I the only on ewith the above on DVD?

63. Andy Miller
    Pint

Live Music Here

What about "Little Voice"? A great film about the other end of the music business.

64. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

I vote for "Stop Making Sense"

Which for my mind was the best rockumentary that was actually a rockumentary. Maybe "Gimme Shelter" was better.

I'd not include Yellow Submarine, which is really a musical, if probably the best rock musical.

Vaguely David Byrne-looking icon used....

65. defiler

Jack Black? Twice?

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks most of his stuff is drivel. Kevin and Perry Go Large probably has more merit than the two Jack Black offerings here...

66. Neil 30

Bad News - did you know that this Comic Strip Presents classic actually came out before Spinal Tap?

67. Mark Zip
    Facepalm

Another omission (very early edition)

"The Girl Can't Help It" (1956)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Can%27t_Help_It

Starring the completely delectable Jayne Mansfield, it's only tangentially a "rock" movie, but still, the line up of performers is amazing. Here's a partial list:

"The Girl Can't Help It" – Little Richard

"Blue Monday" – Fats Domino

"Ready Teddy" – Little Richard

"Be-Bop-A-Lula" – Gene Vincent and His Blue Caps

"She's Got It" – Little Richard

"Cool It Baby" – Eddie Fontaine

"Cry Me a River" – Julie London

"Twenty Flight Rock" – Eddie Cochran

"Rocking Is Our Business" – The Treniers

"You'll Never, Never Know" – The Platters

I'd take this over several others on the list, notably "The Wall" and "Tenacious D". I mean, Eddie Chochran has more "rock" in his little finger than Pink Floyd have in their entire bloated "concept" film.

68. Bob Sanders
    Megaphone

Left Center of Center Right

What about the first film with a Dolby Stereo soundtrack ... Lisztomania?

Fear of a Black Hat is also one that could be a replacement for School of Rock

69. MrT

The Boat that Rocked...

...okay, it wasn't about the bands, but about how most of us first got to hear stuff in the bad old days of transistor radios, crystal earpieces and suchlike. Even if stations like Radio Luxembourg kept drifting in and out of audible range right at the top of the dial, what they played was formative stuff.

Basically, in summary, the list needs anything with Bill Nighy in, like Still Crazy - but not Love Actually, obviously.

70. LesC
    Thumb Up

What about...

Flash Gordon? Excellent 1980 Brit camp rockfest.

For those of us who remember that 'Camp Rock' isn't (c) Disney.

I don't know if the BBC2 Arena strand 'Hawkwind - Do Not Panic' counts...

LC

71. Jimboom
    FAIL

Heavy Metal?

Where the heck was Heavy metal? Perhaps not a rock related movie but with such a rocking soundtrack and a name like Heavy Metal how is it not on the list??

72. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wot?

No Leningrad Cowboys Go America?

73. John Smith 23
    Thumb Up

and Anvil

Anvil! The Story of Anvil http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1157605

is amazing good, and true, and you don't have to be a fan of the band to find it fascinating

74. Saucerhead Tharpe
    Coat

Not a movie, a mini-series but .....

"Tutti-Frutti" by John Byrne, about a bunch of almost were's joining up with the younger brother of their former lead singer for a come-back tour of scotland

Funny and Sad and with some music here and there

When you do your mini-series version, this should be in there

75. Rudisaurus
    Pirate

The Boat That Rocked (NA: Pirate Radio)

A period piece -- part of the history of rock 'n roll if nothing else -- and better than any of the Jack Black offerings.

76. spiny norman
    Pint

Gonks Go Beat

Graham Bond, Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce, Dick Heckstall-Smith. How could you forget?

"Bizarre sixties fable resembling Romeo and Juliette, but instead of Montagues and Capulets, there are two musical communities, one who like rock and roll and one who like ballads ..." IMDB

This topic is closed for new posts.