back to article Happy birthday, Tech City: Have another confusing map

The UK Prime Minister went down to the Silicon Roundabout on Thursday to mark the first anniversary of his Tech City initiative and unveil an interactive map of it all. Tech City developers from Trampoline Systems and designers from Playgen put together the map, which includes "analytics to highlight the flourishing community …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. pompurin

It's nice to see this story instead of the usual doom and gloom. I'm proud to see enterprising IT businesses in the UK. IMO the IT cartel is too heavily dominated by US firms.

When I think of big UK IT companies, the only ones that really come to mind for me are ARM, Sophos, Computacenter and (shudder) SCC. I'd never heard of Autonomy until HP bought them. Surely I'm missing some that deserve recognition?

2. Armando 123

The real question is

How will this affect Mornington Crescent? With Humph having passed to the Great Game in the Sky, I am not sure to whom I should turn.

3. Stratman
    Thumb Up

Mmmmmm, hobnobs.

4. Matt West
    Megaphone

Houseprices

It would be interesting to see a comparison of rents in East London and San Francisco. Right now rents in East London are sky high in the lead up to the Olympics. How does a startup director prove to a credit check agency that they're earning enough (and will still be earning enough in 12 months) to rent a flat?

5. NeonTeepee
    FAIL

Class

Hmmm try this with IE10, you get a 'Your browser not supported' message and a list of icons telling you that you should try IE!

FAIL

Most technical place in the country not supporting a browser a bunch of techos are using.

Yes I know its not technically released and is only on the Win8 dev preview but really if you are in the SOE and related infrastructure space (guess what I do) you ought to be using it.

Sigh, back to Chromium - which it does work on BTW even if it isn't listed as supported.

1. dotdavid
      Windows

Get off my lawn

Well it may not work for you whippersnappers with unreleased Internets but I have the rather retro Microsoft Internets version 7 and it doesn't work on that either. These new internet websites have no respect for their elders (or the youth of today, according to you). In my day...

Yes I work for a tech company and we're forced to use IE7. Pity me ;-)

2. Jonathon Green
      Boffin

"Most technical place in the country not supporting a browser a bunch of techos are using."

Well there's your mistake.

As far as I can see the whole Shoreditch thang has nothing to do with technology, it's a bunch of Nathan Barley types with coloured pencils, iPhone developers who've recently graduated from writing fart apps in the spare bedroom of their mum's house, and web mashup types who think that screen-scraping someone elses data and then plotting it on Google Maps represents Cutting Edge tech. As far as they're concerned a browser is "that little blue "e" shaped thing you click on to look at the Internet"...

If you want to find real technological innovation you need to be looking down the M3 & M4 towards Reading, Farnborough, Basingstoke, and Woking (Nokia, Motorola, McLaren Applied Technology et-al) or up the M11 towards Cambridge (ARM, CSR et-al) but then producing actual stuff isn't cool anymore.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Creating Another East End Ghetto for Web2.0'rreah

Whilst the real tech entrepreneurs are getting on with it in their own back bedrooms.

7. GrumpyJoe

Always friggin' London

I've got a feeling if you actually show a map of the whole UK, david Cameron and the government would ask what the rest of those green bits around London are.

1. dotdavid
      Thumb Up

Green belt?

So *that's* what the green belt is. I always wondered ;-)

I jest... I live in the sticks myself. We're not even on a night bus route (shock!).

1. Jonathon Green
        Coat

I've got a green belt. I wear it with my green trousers...

8. spiny norman
    Coat

So Government + IT = huge joke. Which might be why Cameron's deputy CIO just resigned and went to EMC.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like