back to article ARM rolls out new GPU, loses head

One of ARM's founders, not to mention a co-designer of the eponymous chip, will be retiring from his presidential role next year to spend more time with his money, though not until May. Tudor Brown has been at ARM 21 years, and was at Acorn before that, where he worked on the ARM chip. That chip was designed for the Archimedes …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. PikeyDawg
    Pint

Only £778,000 in 2010?

Considering the shite CEOs that I've seen in my day, making 2-3x this much *before* bonus... this is probably the one instance where I would say that *this* CEO might have deserved a higher pay grade

*raises a pint to Mr. Brown and ARM - all the best to the both of you in the future.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But that is the differenc.

As a corporate and technical LEADER* he wouldn't expect rediculous pay-outs. QED.

*as opposed to the corporate slush-fund parasites that mostly entrench themselves and their buddies at the top.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

President

He's not the CEO, Warren East is. http://ir.arm.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=197211&p=irol-govboard

2. Mage Silver badge

Shh!

Don't tell anyone ARM is based in the UK or UK "investors" or the Government will find a way to wreck them.

Inmos Transputer was a good idea too.

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

A 'British' success

ARM while a clever model with lots of clever people made a profit of $20M last year - Apple made nearer $7Bn

While licencing and intellectual property is a nice business it's putting products into people's hands that really makes coin

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple has teh high score! They win!!111! !

If ARM are successful enough for everyone working there to be comfortably-off and happy, they are successful enough.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stingy

Tudor was one of the stingiest people I ever met.

As a result, ARM managed to survive to profitability without running out of money.

There is a lesson there for anyone wondering how to run a startup.

1. ToddRundgren
      Thumb Up

Always thought him to be fair

I knew Tudor from the wooden hut days, always seemed a good, (and fair), egg from my recollection.

5. Craig 28

Re:A British Success

Not every company can be an Apple or a Microsoft. Just because they're filling a less lucrative role doesn't diminish from their achievements, quite the reverse. Saying they're not a success story is like saying a person is unsuccessful just because they're not a multi-millionaire CEO. ARM is still an important part of the global technology ecosystem, they're filling a valuable role which just happens not to require a monstrously huge company.

In fact not being a huge company is probably to their benefit in a lot of ways. It cuts down on beurocracy for starters.

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Sometimes it pays to be just small enough to be under the radar of the asset strippers.

7. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Not knocking ARM

It's just that on the global scale of computer companies it's like promoting Dutchy Original shortcakes as a great British success alongside McDonalds, or comparing Morgans to VW or Toyota.

And these are the greatest success that has come out of the country that invented the computer in the first place!

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Not knocking ARM

1.9 billion ARM-designed cores shipped in Q3 2011. Where does every other chip maker stand? Riddle me this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Renesas

Still ship more cores per year IIRC

2. heyrick Silver badge

@ diodesign

Plus, wasn't there an article here about a month ago along the lines of Intel plans to charge more for their silicon...because they can?

Indeed, just because a company isn't rolling in massive profit doesn't mean they are bad, or useless. Maybe ARMs less-profit/more-parts approach will win in the long run? Certainly, I'm looking around my room at the smartphone, the PVR, the printers... You know what I see? Souped up Z80 in the DeskJet, ST20-alike in the satellite box, Intel Atom in my eeePC, and ARM, a lot. I have a number of RISC OS computers, but I think I have more non-RISC OS ARM powered hardware these days.

1.9 billion. That's a massive number. "Yet Another Anon Coward" - you can keep your McDonald's. I'm for the shortbread.

8. This Side Up

@diodesign

"1.9 billion ARM-designed cores shipped in Q3 2011. Where does every other chip maker stand? Riddle me this."

ARM isn't making chips. Nearly every chip maker is making ARM-designed chips.

9. Torben Mogensen

Any Acorns left at ARM?

When Tudor leaves, are there any people left at ARM who worked at Acorn?

1. Anonymous Coward
  10. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Not knocking ARM

1.9Bn cores, $20M profit - so 1c per core

While Samsung makes perhaps $5 on fabbing the chip

And Apple makes $300 on the phone

ARM makes less/unit than the chinese peasant putting them in the boxes

As I said, it's not an attack on ARM - but on all those politicians/economist/business leaders who announced that the UK wasn't going to any of that old fashioned metal bashing "making things" but was going to lead the world in intellectual property and financial products.

How is the financial products industry working out by the way?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like