back to article Panasonic preps rubber-clad Android tablet

Looking for an Android fondleslab that's a bit less fragile? Next Spring, Panasonic will release what it hopes will be just the ticket. The 10.1in Toughpad FZ-A1 will run Android 3.2 Honeycomb - possibly Ice Cream Sandwich instead, though Panasonic is playing safe for the moment - on a 1.2GHz dual-core Marvell processor. Chuck …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Price

At that price it will only be sold to the big corporates who implement big government projects.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fondleslab -- HA HAAA HO HO HA HA HEE HO

Fondleslab -- that just keeps getting funnier and FUNNIER

Not really

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Fondleslab -- HA HAAA HO HO HA HA HEE HO

Tough luck - we like it.

2. G2
      WTF?

Re: Fondleslab -- HA HAAA HO HO HA HA HEE HO

the funny thing is that the SLAB title really fits this one.

At 2.1lbs (0.952 kg) and 0.7" thick without any accessories it's quite heavy as hell to handle for extended lengths of time in just one palm. Samsung's Galaxy Tab is only 1.2lbs (0.544 kg) and only 0.33" thick, HALF the weight and thickness of the panasonic SLAB

Oh.. and the panasonic PR spinners managed to spit out this bit of Vogon prose when they talk about the difference: (from the PDF file Toughpad_ConsumerCompetitiveChart.pdf on panasonic's site)

"The Toughpad A1 has a significant rugged and performance advantage for only a slight difference in weight and thickness."

rofl, "slight difference" my ass, the thing is more than DOUBLE the thickness and almost double the weight!

3. ThatGuy
    Stop

oh oh

Rounded corners AND 4:3 ratio? Panasonic is just asking for trouble.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kewl!

Fondleslabs? Some like'em with some extra girth. Robustness is also a good thing, can take that extra handling.

What looks good to the eye and what feels good to the hand are not always the same.

And with that plastic stick, it can also turn tricks some of them other emaciated slates can't.

5. G2
    FAIL

wtf, ANOTHER delay and expensive as hell?

Spring 2012?????? another delay?

at the beginning of summer they promised us that in it will BE AVAILABLE by the end of this year, and the trade shows i've attended they promised us that it will be available in november! why this delay again?

see: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/panasonictoughbook/sets/72157626971296012/

also,

£1K for the 3g version and £875 for non-3g? are they nuts? £125 just for an additional 3g modem tucked inside?

f**k it then, i'm getting samsung devices for our company. Panasonic can go suck on an egg.

6. Keep Refrigerated
    WTF?

At that price, I could afford to drop my less than tough Transformer and replace it twice over.

1. Mark 65

Chances are if you dropped this tablet it'd still be fucked. My money is on it landing screen side down or with suitable shearing force to split the panel.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good concept

We need more rugged tablets like this on the market. Perfect family device, but not at this price. Pity the article did very little to cover what makes this device special. Super tough glass and both touch and stylish sensitive input.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like