back to article Only Samsung will challenge Apple's iPad in 2012

Apple's share of the tablet market may be heading downward, but it's still going to sell a shedload of fondleslabs next year. Most market watchers would express such a description of the table business if asked, but an analyst at Canaccord Genuity, an investment bank, has added some numbers to the picture. According to CG's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. hexx

units shipped != units sold so it renders these predictions quite useless

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Tea leaves?

Where do they come up with these numbers?

Given Apple's corporate encroachment I suspect that might well be the new battleground. I guess that is what Microsoft is betting on but where niche solutions such as Citrix might be key. Apple's AppStore is a heap of pain for any corporate with a lot of inhouse application development or data.

1. chr0m4t1c

You can set up an in-house App Store in the same way you can install your own Blackberry Server; companies don't need to use the one from the outside world.

You can even configure the iDevices to only allow installation of software from your internal App Store.

Ultimately, not as big an issue as you'd hope.

3. Neil Greatorex
    Coat

@hexx

True != True:

Apple do no allow discounting, so unsold shipped slabs != sales.

Samsung do, so unsold shipped slabs (following a bit of discounting~ a la HP) = sales.

Sortof.. :-)

4. Robert E A Harvey
    Stop

here we go again

Look, we don't know if there will be a Euro after christmas, or if some natural disaster will wipe out a vital manufacturing process. We don't know if our money will still work in a years time.

We don't know if Samsung will be /allowed/ to sell in certain markets, or perhaps if Apple will.

We don't know the price the new zoom will be offered at, or which eBooks will be offered in europe

So how can we know the individual market shares to this precision?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@here we go again

steady, old chap, sounds like you're starting to let panic set in. Take a long weekend - you'll feel a lot better for it

5. jubtastic1
    FAIL

Doesnt seem likely

For one thing, there's no mention of Amazon, who as far as I can tell is the only other player with the content and backend systems required to compete, Secondly, they're basically predicting Apple's sales to be pretty much the same in 2012 as 2011, which would seem pretty unlikely even if they weren't going to release an ipad 3 in four months or so.

I think 2012 will see an erosion of the iPad share due to the Fire & Nook, maybe Microsoft will get in there as well but they're more likely to roll up in 2013, Xbox integration and the Metro UI (stunning job that, never thought I'd praise a MS UI), plus the fact that they own at syncng, should make it easy for them to become a player in this market, even late in the day.

6. HMB

No accounting for the Kindle Fire?

I would have expected it to have a mention.

7. Mikel
    WTF?

Oh, no. Next year is the Windows 8 launch

Windows 8 tablets are expected to just slaughter the iPad and all those Android Tabs in 2012. Because they have Windows, which everybody knows is the best software for everything. Maybe 150 million the first year - just wait for the IDC reports for the real forecast. iPad will drop to like a few thousand. Gartner will have the real report go like this too. These new people don't know nuthing. They sound Canadian.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

saturation

surely with the pretty massive sales figures, we will soon reach a point where everybody who is in the 'yeah, i might get one when the right one comes out' market, just decides to go out and get one (of which ever they want to get) and then don't buy another one for several years.

A previous poster mentioned "Maybe 150 million the first year" the article itself mentions "102.3m tablets will ship in 2012" these numbers all add up until eventually, everyone in the world owns one, and then there is no one left to buy the new ones.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like