back to article BOFH: Beancounter bashing

"You know what your probblim is?" one of the Beancounters slurs, using the ISO certified phrase to indicate that the speaker's had too much to drink "...you're out of touch!" "Really?" the PFY says, tipping back his drink with one hand while setting his modified cattle prod to 'stir-fry' with the other. "How's that then …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Harald Paterek
    Happy

Cheers

Good one to end the year with.

Happy new year to all of you!

2. ChessGeek

You Would Think...

...Simon would learn to avoid lifts where the PFY's involved.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What this LNER 4468 Mallard?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallard_(locomotive)

4. Ferry Boat

Berg

At last, something decent to read on this dull, dull day. I was beginning to think I'd read the whole internet over the holiday period. It seems to be most full of pictures of American peoples' pets.

5. Bob
    Thumb Up

Re: You Would Think...

good quality tippex can make even the best of us forgetful...

6. Rachael Lohr

Tippex?

State-sider here ... what's tippex?

7. Matthew Stoltenberg

The real moral to the story

is that Americans have it right in the way we number the floors in a building!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

If only there was some way to search for information

>what's tippex?

What's Google?

9. Ferry Boat

Tippex is...

what you'd call whiteout or liquid paper. Tippex is the brand name.

I smells nasty but when I were a lad you could get a few seconds of dizziness from a vapour snort. They've removed that ingredient now though.

10. GrahamT
    Boffin

@Tippex

Tippex = Snopake = correcting fluid

11. Chris

State-sider here ... what's tippex?

Do you have white out?

Referred to as idiot ink, for use on an old fashioned medium lacking such things as a delete key. White paint, found about offices for blanking out words on paper. Full of all sorts of exciting chemicals, which if pissed enough some one my try to get high on...

12. Harald Paterek

Tippex

Tippex is white paint in a small bottle with a brush attached to the cap that one uses to paint over to be corrected parts of a document. After drying you can write / type the correction over it.

It has a distinct solvent smell and probably contains enough chemicals to make an entire generation infertile.

13. Mike Wood
    Thumb Up

Simon's Revenge

We all know that last year Simon got his revenge, thouught he would have known better after last years incident, looks like you can out bastard a BOFH!!!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tippex

Tippex is what users put on their monitor when they make a typo

15. Highlander

Yeah! Tippex!

The thing that made Tippex so popular was the inclusion of 1-1-1 trichloroethane, a chlorocarbon based solvent that had some interesting effects on health and perceptions when inhaled. Another solvent in the same group is Carbon Tetrachloride, which was used in some spot removers (think of those lovely little sprays that form a white crusty that you brush off along with your stain). Some maintain that carbon-tet was used in Tippex, but it wasn't. The trichloroethane was quite potent enough.

16. Rosuav

You'd think he'd learn...

... you can't outbastard your own trainee, you taught him too well for that!!

17. Aditya Krishnan
    Pirate

Still potent

Here in India, we get a brand of liquid paper called Erazex. It comes separately as solvent and whitener. The solvent contains toluene... quite a high!!

18. frank denton
    Thumb Up

Try Pritt-Stick

If you sniff at a Pritt-Stick for long enough, interesting things start to happen. Go on, try it.

19. Chris Fleming

Chris, expat KIWI in Samoa

Stir fry... just turned on my soldering iron.

All the best to you and yours Simon.

20. Graham Dawson Silver badge
    Coat

@Try Pritt-Stick

"If you sniff at a Pritt-Stick for long enough, interesting things start to happen. Go on, try it."

Yes... the men in white coats give you a nice new jacket.

21. Oscar

RE: The real moral to the story

I'm assuming this makes us Brits better programmers then ...? ;)

22. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

That's more like it.

That's more like it - after last week I thought you had forgotten how much we ALL hate SOPPY quizzes. We Want BOFH, not a Quiz! I found it quite ironic the way you turned off commenting. To avoid flaming, perhaps?

Much better episode this week, and shame, they turn off the heating over christmas ;)

23. Bob H
    Heart

Mild solvent abuse

Mmmm, RS Solvent Cleaner... like Cointreau in a can...

I miss the solvent abuse of a previous company...

24. Joseph Helenihi
    Joke

White Out Excuses

Tippex, White Out, Erazex or Pritt-Stick, there is nothing like the look on a cow-orker's face when they have wandered over to you and asked why some process or procedure was not followed and you reach for the bottle with the brush. After opening it and pretending to inhale deeply from within, say something like, "not sure, what *should* have been done again?"

25. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

White out

Well, over here, "Liquid Paper" is the generic household name for correction fluid, although in general Tipp-Ex is also widely available (both generally ship with a bottle of thinner - in case they ever hardens). Or you could get them in pen form.

They fell out of general use recently as someone correction tape is becoming cheaper and more widely available.

Anyways, looks like the field is set for the second annual BOFH vs. PFY post-Christmas battle. It'll be interesting to see how the story arc unrolls and resolves itself this time around.

26. Tuomo Stauffer
    Go

Now I remember

Now I remember being in UK over Christmas / New Year time. Best humor in world, the meanest operators, sorry, BOFS's and PFY's in the world but fun. Just avoid the elevators, keep out of the computer room and especially any locked area, etc and you are safe but they really are fun in bub, actually better stories than in the Register. Happy new year, I have to go, my operator is calling that I have to check the backup tapes in the vault because I have to go in and sign them! See you in party?

27. Paul
    Unhappy

Leeds

Why Pick On Leeds Its a great place Chavs aside...

28. Berny Stapleton
    Happy

@Leeds

That's like asking "What's wrong with Slough?" isn't it?

29. Peter Kay

@Slough

No, it isn't. The correct question is 'What's *right* with Slough?'

At least there's /something/ right with Leeds.

Barnsley, on the other hand...

30. Michael

@Peter Kay

> At least there's /something/ right with Leeds.

Only the M621 Westbound..... ;)

31. John D Salt

What's right with Slough?

Oooh, ooh, please sir, I know the answer to this one!

When I spent a one-week course in Slough given by the vendors of a market-leading stochastic discrete-event simulation product for telecomms whose name I shall forbear to mention, I had the opportunity, unmatched in my experience, of taking lunch in a pub wherein stood a life-sized figurine of a man made ENTIRELY OF SPOONS.

I doubt anyone could say the same of any other town in the kingdom.

All the best,

John.

32. David S

Betjeman had the right idea

http://www-cdr.stanford.edu/intuition/Slough.html

33. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Hmm...

Very nice, david s.

But where is This Week's Episode?!

This topic is closed for new posts.