back to article Google launches Google+ Pages for businesses

Google has unveiled some enhancements to Google+ aimed at expanding that people-to-people social networking service to people-to-businesses and people-to-organizations. "So far Google+ has focused on connecting people with other people," Google's engineering headman Vic Gundotra wrote in a blog post on Monday. "But we want to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Brent Longborough
    FAIL

If I wanted this, I'd have stayed with Facebook

All of a sudden, a surge in the mean stool density in the sewage...

2. Sam Liddicott

no +

lack of + in search terms explains why google search results are awful these days.

What can I use instead of the + symbol to get decent results?

1. Steve the Cynic

Read the article, follow the links...

If you do that, you'll find that +specificword (prevents matching against 'specificwords', 'specificwording', etc. but also prevents it searching for 'flute' **instead** of 'lute') has been replaced by "specificword" (double quotes).

The flute/lute thing is the most stupid thing imaginable. I asked goggle to look for information about Renaissance / Early Modern many-stringed instruments, but goggle decided that I really wanted to find information about wind instruments, and NOT information about what I asked for. WTF? I could almost see it offering both in a single search, but ... 'Did you mean ...?' links are annoying because they take up space on the screen, but once in a while I really did make a trypogaphical error, and it's useful then. Completely discarding what I type, aside from a 'we searched for this other thing instead of what you asked for, but here's a link that will search for what you wanted rather than what we wanted' link is unforgiveable.

Sorry, still need to vent.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love this bit...

'I Told You So' -

My comment on that previous article about dropping the '+' -

"It is obviously not easier to use quoted string instead of +string and it is inconsistent with the OR and -string operations.

Google knows a lot about language design and they wouldn't do something so obviously wrong unless they had a better (more lucrative) use in mind for +.

My bet is that they will somehow use + in Google queries to link with Google+ entries and try and drive traffic from one to the other, or more likely both ways."

4. Scott Millar
    FAIL

FAIL FAIL FAIL

Did you know Google + does not work with Google Apps? so if you are a local business running google apps and want a +Page you are screwed. FAIL FAIL FAIL

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If I may...

.. edit your post:

Google+. FAIL FAIL FAIL.

2. Patrick O'Reilly

Does so

It does work with Google Apps, I just set one up using a GApps login.

GApps needs to allow experimental features and G+ needs to be turned on in offer management.

5. Patrick O'Reilly

ElReg+

So it's been 5 hours since this story was posted and The Register still doesn't have a G+ page? Tick-tock squatters are on their way.

6. jaduncan

"Did you know Google + does not work with Google Apps? so if you are a local business running google apps and want a +Page you are screwed. FAIL FAIL FAIL"

In fairness, it now does work with apps.

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

"build relationships with all the things you care about – from local businesses to global brands"

Great idea. How did they know teh key things I care about are abstract faceless brands, and local businesses, rather than actual friends and family.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like