back to article Apple faces Germany ban after court no-show

Sales of iPhones and iPads are on the brink of being banned in Germany as a result of a court battle over Apple's alleged infringement of Motorola patents - but the fruity fondleslab maker reckons it can get the injunction suspended even though it failed to turn up. The German hearing on Friday was brought about by Motorola …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dazed and Confused
    Paris Hilton

THose who live by the sword

die by the sword.

(Paris because she has a record of failing to turn up for things too)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stay open at weekends

This was happening on Friday, where were you guys?

It seems unlikely that it will lead to a ban directly. As you note, it's Gmbh that actually sells the gear. However, it does allow Apple to appeal and introduce new evidence.

One of the patents infringed was Frand, so it's possible that Moto could find itself under the same scrutiny as Samsung faces the possibility of for double dipping Frand. If that indeed is what happened with either Moto or Samsung

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge
      Pint

Friday? I'd suggest they were at the pub.

Cheers!

2. jocaferro
      Alien

... parroting?

"This was happening on Friday, where were you guys?"

Greedly waiting for the words of the usual suspect?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

..and yet

had this been Samsung, LG, HTC etc then there would have been an instant ban.

/me thinks judges have a penchant for the fruity devices

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So, because you don't like it, the decision is biased. OK.....

If you understood what was happening you would see that the judgement was against Apple Inc. They sell nothing over there - so nothing to ban. If the decision had been against Apple Gmbh then the ban you seem to long for would have been instant

1. Velv
        FAIL

@ac2 - You did read the bit that said it was against Apple Inc, and is therefore enforceable against all Apple subsidiaries, which includes Apple GmbH ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Who said that?

AC2 here, It's ambiguous from what's in El Reg who made the statement that the judgement applied to Apples subsidiaries, was the court or was it the persuasive suggestion from someone not directly involved in the case?

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

If Apple don't have a really good reason for failling to attend then the default judgement should stand and be implemented immediately. Furthermore the lawyer should be found in contempt of court. I'm sure a lawyer would be really popular in prison.

If Apple are playing games with the court trying to get the cases combined then that is clearly contempt.

4. otan
    Stop

Cnet!

not sure i would trust much of what they have to say. They seem to be very pro apple everything even if it is a pile of rotten fruit

5. James O'Brien
    Joke

So my only question here is this....

Did SIRI give the lawyer the bird when he asked for directions to the courthouse?

6. heyrick Silver badge

Contempt of court?

They were a no-show, and apparently aren't that bothered. The German legal system might not see things the same way...

7. Renegade666
    FAIL

Err and Google owns Motorola Mobility

Terribad journalism here!

Google recently acquired Motorola Mobility, supposedly for its massive patent library....

Didn't think to mention this maybe?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

Hold on there

Google don't own Moto yet...

1. Renegade666

Surely the article should mention it though?

8. mfraz

Couldn't have happened to a nicer company. I'm sure I'm not the only one who hope this ban happens.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Your own personal RDF

Why not wait to see the outcome? So long as the law is applied fairly the out come will be the correct one. Whether or not it fits in with your own personal RDF or not.

Apple sues Samsung = Bad!

Moto sues Apple = Good!

Court agrees with your thinking = good, depending on your thinking!

Court doesn't agree with your thinking = bad, depending on your thinking!

It's very hard to take comments seriously when there is such blatant bias and a wish not to deal with the facts.

1. zero273

It's not about bias

Having made the mistake of owning both an iPhone and a Milestone in the past, I can say I profoundly dislike both companies. But what the OP was saying was more along the lines of:

Apple suing Samsung over the shape of a rectangle = Bad.

Moto giving Apple a taste of their own medicine = Just as bad, but hell do they deserve it.

Personally I hope all smartphones get banned in Germany. Maybe after a week or so of using their old Nokias 6110 they will start thinking about changing the stupid IP laws they (and everyone else) have.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder

I wonder if somewhere in the near future, some 12 year old kid thinks up 5000 ideas that Iphone does and isn't patented, and gets patents on those ideas. I wonder if he could sue Apple to stop sales. Just wondering. Apple needs to stop these stupid patent fights and fix minor problems in it products, like being able to crack a password in Ipad in 5 seconds.

10. Xperia Play
    Mushroom

Apple has lots of sales everywhere and is huge but sometimes this patent war reminds me of children in a sandbox...

1. Tom 35

Yes,

And I think a cat visited that sandbox earlier...

11. Andy 97

Icon request

Please can we get a Nelson (off of The Simpsons) pointing and saying Ha Ha!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

* Nelson FROM 'The Simpsons'

FTFY

12. LarsG

IT WAS.OBVIOUSLY..........

a conspiracy against them, the paranoia they seem to have that every one is out to get them.

Well, might be some truth in that.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slept in ... ?

If the lawyers were depending on their iPhone alarm, that could explain things ...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like