back to article US pols sack Santa Claus in cost-cutting drive

A local government in New York state has cut Father Christmas from the county payroll as part of a vicious cost-cutting program. Suffolk County in New York state gave the popular red-suited character the boot on Friday as they grappled to trim their budget and fill a $135m hole, Reuters reports. Some 750 county employees are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Darryl

Is this really cost effective?

Save $660 a year? Imagine the severance package when the guy's been doing this for a couple thousand years....

1. Tom 13

No severance pay because

it is a temp job. No unemployment benefits either.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wut?!

So Lecy, who may be Levy but could also be Bellone, is suspicious of Bellone as he is in the running for Bellone's job?

Got it?! And there's me thinking merkin politics are reasonably simple

I'm off to lie down for a while, my head hurts...

3. sabba
    Facepalm

So santa's...

...got the sack!

4. sabba
    Childcatcher

Anyone for...

...reindeer steak?

5. Stevie

Bah!

This story brought to you by the Guarniad.

Incomprehensible, and I actually live there.

6. Sam Liddicott

$660

They'll pay more than $660 just handling complaints.

7. Asgard
    Facepalm

Suffolk County in New York's Bah! Humbug! mentality.

They pointlessly sacked Santa to be seen to be making savings. Its a typical and purely political move and they knew it would show them appearing to make savings, when as usual with political officials it doesn't really save virtually anything, but it helps them to try to distract everyone else away from the rest of work they are doing (and not doing) and it makes it seem (at first glance), as if they are doing something to deal with the $135M hole in their budget. (So no Santa means they have saved an absolutely massive 0.00048% towards their budget hole!, so an absolutely pointless move by them!).

It shows typical government official thinking. They do endless pointless shit like sacking Santa and endless meetings to discuss endless pointless shit, whilst they endlessly procrastinate about all the things they should really be focusing on fixing, but don't really want to change. Still they saved 0.00048% of their budget, from sacking Santa, so its just a shame the interest on that $135M would have completely and utterly wiped out everything they have saved before they even signed the paperwork to sack him!. Just proves how their priorities are so totally messed up and wrong.

Government officials are the same in every country. They are Passive–aggressives procrastinating and so they never really do what they should be focusing on but do other things to try to make it seem as though they are doing something. Should fire the lot of them, that would really help save money.

1. BigUglyDean
      Trollface

Be careful how you talk. People might mistake you for a (*gasp*) libertarian, and then you won't be able to post on Gawker without being screeched at.

2. Tom 13

I doubt either reporter is telling the whole story.

More likely, a whole lot of temps and part timers got sacked and Santa was just the one the commies in the press could pick on to make a responsible decision look malicious. So far the Reuters article has 3 responses, two of them indicating they are with the County on this one: either private businesses should pay for it, or people should volunteer. Count me with them. Frankly, government shouldn't be involved in this in either a promotional or a discouraging way. At his root, Santa is a religious icon and I'm surprised the ACLU hasn't run this one through the courts yet.

8. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Not 2000 years old

Saint Nikolaus of Myra was born in 270, so he is about 1741 years old.

9. Daedalus
    Unhappy

Calling Jay Gatsby

Suffolk County, the eastern third of Long Island, is home to some of the richest people on the planet. It's the site of many of those huge mansions. It contains those "Hamptons" rich New Yawkers talk about heading for. So of course it's important to scrimp on every last penny there.

10. M7S
    Joke

As ever, Britain got there first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNace1KBqac

11. mhenriday
    Boffin

Good to hear that these pols are saying adieu to the seniority principle

and sacking workers with 17-18 centuries (not quite the 2000 years reported in the article, but we all know the Reg is prone to exaggeration) of faithful devotion to their job. Now if they could only be persuaded to sack another worker who, it is claimed on somewhat doubtful authority, has been on the job these last approximately two thousand years, they could save real money !...

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.