back to article Japan develops powered armour suit for nuke workers

A splendid Japanese professor has offered his "HAL" powered exoskeleton suit for use by nuclear powerplant workers at Fukushima, pointing out that the suit's motorised limbs would allow users to lift radiation-proof armour which would otherwise be prohibitively heavy. Tsukuba-based firm "Cyberdyne" said in a statement: "This …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ru
    Coat

Powered, armoured exoskeletons for reactor maintenance?

I've heard that line somewhere before.

Mine's the one with the assault cannon and cyclone rack...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Mike Brown

Christmas? Heretic! Emperors Day surely?

1. perlcat
          Joke

Heretic!

It is Saturnalia!

2. Rich 11
    Mushroom

Cyberdyne?! Someone's tempting fate...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

dont forget

the systems called HAL as well...

3. Rob
    Terminator

Cyberdyne!!

Seriously?!?

4. The Situation
    Alert

The firm's actually called Cyberdyne?

If armoured suits don't catch on, next they'll suggest creating robots to do the job and then we're on the slippery slope to DOOOOOOOOM.

"the film didn't include the individual drop capsules or the power armour, and was much the poorer for it" - Yep, but the film had Denise Richards instead so that's mlore than enough compensation.

5. joshimitsu
    Terminator

first to mention

both the robo lifter in Aliens and Cyberdyne System in Terminator 2.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HAL?

I want my Power Loader (to fight bitches), now!

7. Jim jimminy jim jim jim jim
    Terminator

Can i be the first to say Space marines? ... awesome!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Don't need radiation proof armour

In a hazardous environment why would you want a person inside the suit at all - better to separate the sensors and the motors, and control it remotely.

1. annodomini2
      Thumb Up

Aye

And if the radiation fries the electronics, or just a simple failure the robot gets stuck at least it's only the robot that is lost and doesn't put a person inside at greater risk.

9. Big Al
    Terminator

Cyberdyne? Wtf?

This is presumably the same Cyberdyne Systems who will shortly be working on Skynet?

I think we have enough evidence that encouraging them to work on bipedal exoskeletons would be a bad move... (see illustration).

1. AlexH
      Terminator

They certainly won't be inventing Skynet; Paradigm Secure Communications beat them to it when, in an exercise many might consider to be tempting (if not outright taunting) fate, they decided that would be the perfect name for their network of military communications satellites. Cheers for that, guys.

Can the Reg please keep their eyes peeled and alert us if/when the two companies start working together...

1. Stephen May
        Stop

I'd say there's prior art there...

...seeing as the first SkyNet bird was launched in 1969. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_%28satellite%29

10. Xris M
    Terminator

Wait.....

So your telling me a company called "Cyberdyne" actually exists and it makes robotic suits. Surely this is not a good idea!

11. Stretch

Major fracture detected. Automatic medical system engaged. Morphine administered.

12. heyrick Silver badge

Starship Troopers?

Try "AppleSeed", or any number of variations on the theme.

1. Thecowking

Starship Troopers far predates any and all modern anime.

It's not my favourite book, being rather heavy on the military procedure and light on the story, but it's definitely worth a read.

13. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Japan, powered suits

All of my anime dreams are coming true! Now all we need are the A.D. Police and the Knight Sabres, Patlabor Mobile Police or possibly the Olympus ESWAT teams to pick up the pieces when the powered suits run amok.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wakey wakey

Cyberdyne and Skynet have been real life items for quite a long time now.

and yes, they're heading in the scary direction the movies have hinted at... self fulfilling prophecies and all that.

Just need the laser cannon to come to reality and we're all set

15. Wannazzaki
    Coat

For The Emperor!

"They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give of themselves to me. Like clay I shall mould them, and in the furnace of war forge them. They will be of iron will and steely muscle." ... I'll get my coat.

16. c3
    Mushroom

Everyone got Cyberdyne, but you're missing HAL

As in HAL, the murderous computer from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Also, Skynet already exists. There are a bunch of things called Skynet. Amongst them: satellites and an ISP: just what a newborn self-aware computerized conscience needs to keep an eye on its former masters, the puny humans.

17. Bill Neal
    FAIL

"...the film didn't include the individual drop capsules or the power armour..."

the 3rd film did.

18. Dive Fox

Welcome to the H.E.V. mark 4 protective system. For use in hazardous environment conditions. High-impact reactive armour activated. Atmospheric contaminant sensors activated. Vital sign monitoring activated. Automatic medical systems engaged. Weapon selection system activated. Munition level monitoring activated. Communications interface online. Have a very safe day.

19. Michael 47
    Trollface

For radiation purposes I'm not sure I see the point

Not sure is see the point of this suit (in terms of stopping radiation, I'm sure every commentard could think of a few other interesting uses). In terms of actually stopping radiation a couple of layers of cotton will stop any alpha particle, and a bit of plastic sheeting will stop beta radiation. On the other hand it takes several feet of lead plating to even slow down gamma radiation, and I doubt any suit could generate enough power to move all that around (unless there a nuclear power plant strapped to back, which I think would defeat the object somewhat,,,)

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder what rev of HAL they are up to

A company named cyberdyne making a system called HAL. What could possibly go wrong.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Stop being alarmists!!

What could possibly go wrong, other than a sudden radiation surge coursing through the control circuitry of the powered suit, melting said circuitry into the operators brain stem and the intense pain and shocking revalation of his-now-lost humanity leaving the operator insane and irrevocably melded to his irradiated and unstoppable powered armor suit.

Oh wait, that's what could go wrong....

22. Openminded Cynic
    Coat

Whist wearing this suit....

...is it possible to open the pod bay doors?

23. mhoulden
    Mushroom

Power Armour?

Does it come with a Pipboy 3000 as well?

1. Maikol
      Mushroom

Important questions, whats the radiation resistance percentage of this power armor and how much caps does it cost?

24. Dorobuta
    Meh

Either Cybermen or Daleks, in any event, this will prove to be the downfall of mankind. Unless the Dr shows up.....

25. jon 72
    Boffin

Appleseed and variations

The Matt Helm movie called “The Ambushers” circa 1967 is the earliest example of powered exoskeltons I can find at short notice, may be something earlier than that but not sure. There is also a Sci-Fi novel whose name escapes me where the hero shuts down a runaway nuclear reactor whilst wearing an armoured power suit.

26. Gordon 10

Surprised

That I'm the first to say :

On the bounce!

27. Mr. Byte
    Thumb Up

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Shines the name of Rodger Young.

Yeah, Rico would approve. So would Zim.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You may not believe this but..

It seems that in the depths of the "New Scientist" archives is a reference to using one of the 4K superconductors (specifically Type 1) to modulate a stream of gamma radiation.

Can't recall exactly what the application was, possibly imaging or similar like a programmable aperture which could be set for scanning by quenching sections sequentially.

So... Make a suit with a cryogenic layer inside and out, with an MgB2 layer in the centre.

Doesen't need to be continuous as MgB2 still superconducts in powder form.

Flow liquid nitrogen and helium through the lining to keep it below its Tc and voila.

The theory has to do with the superconductors excluding magnetic fields. As gamma rays are essentially high energy electromagnetic waves superconductors should affect them.

If nothing else it should help reduce the intensity by a couple of orders of magnitude allowing a worker to go into an otherwise lethal environment and still only get a survivable dose.

One wonders if anyone has tried using a highly electrically charged superconductor-insulator-superconductor capacitor to see if this affects the shielding?

-AC

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like