back to article 'OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW'

Given that the week started with Halloween, it was perhaps appropriate that the weird and wonderful was prevalent. In honour of All Hallow's Eve, a tech geek transformed his fruity fondleslabs into an, erm, interesting costume. A Berkeley boffin argued that because of Einstein's most famous equation E=MC², ebook readers get …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

I was getting a bit worried about the sanity of this author

But, then I checked my calendar.

Not April-1, but: FRIDAY, (Yaay!) and also Red Nose day (at least in Finland).

Think I'd better pop mine on, before I read anything else El. Reg. has to throw at me.

2. Miek

Oh wow, what a dull week of quotes we've had.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jobs was such a troll

"Apple is not making a tablet"

"I'm getting rid of my hi-fi for the iPod Stereo"

"All iPhone applications will be done though the browser"

"Nobody reads books any more"

"Just change your app's name, no big deal"

"You're holding it wrong"

"The perfect TV interface; I've finally cracked it"

"Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow"

They see him trollin', they be believin'

4. Sean Baggaley 1
    Flame

Dear Mr. Stallman,

Fuck you and the high horse you rode in on.

The mainstream media are a _caricature_ of the societies they pretend to represent, pandering to the extremes as the middle ground love to have something to point and laugh at. Said media do NOT speak for everyone.

Most of us are quite capable of buying Apple products without believing the late Steve Jobs to be some kind of cult religious figure. I don't genuflect and cry hallelujah whenever my MacBook Pro boots up. Nor do I run out and buy the very latest fruit-themed gadget just because it's there.

I've been using—and programming—computers since the early '80s, so I'm well aware of your own cult's particularly twisted logic that places technology for its own sake at the centre of IT, rather than users. And I want no part of it.

Extremists and fanatics often don't realise they are extremists or fanatics. These people are dangerous, regardless of the field they are fanatical about, be it religion, technology, or business. Jobs wasn't a fanatic in the way you are, Mr. Stallman. Jobs was certainly *singleminded*, which isn't quite the same thing. He was a "design and business nerd".

The _media_ have suggested Jobs invented everything singlehanded, but Jobs himself never made that claim. The media caricatured him and did all that entirely without his help. If you watch his keynote speeches, you'll know damned well Jobs was never shy about giving credit where it was due. For all his flaws, and he certainly had plenty, Jobs was no blinkered extremist.

The very fact that you appear to have bought into the media's caricatured portrayal of Steve Jobs is clear evidence that you're nowhere near as clever as you think you are.

1. Tchou
      Pirate

Steve Jobs was a sad clown. Not much more. He happened to sell products he accidentally came upon. The true heritage is elsewhere.

1. Ian Davies
        Mushroom

@Tchou

Quite possible the most wilfully ignorant and idiotic thing I've read on the whole subject, including Stallman's autistic nonsense.

1. Tchou
          Joke

So... I sort of won?

: p

1. Ian Davies

@Tchou

At being a knob? Sure, why not.

2. Kubla Cant
      Meh

Design Nerd?

What's all this I keep reading about Steve Jobs and design?

For a man obsessed with design, he sold some pretty mundane products. The Iphone looks much the same as most other mobile phones. The computers looks much like all computers (except for the ones that have a square mouse with a button missing). From a technical perspective they seem to be nothing special.

I think what Jobs had was a kings-new-clothes ability to convince people that superficial gloss is good design.

1. Ian Davies
        FAIL

@Kubla Cant

Spoken like someone who truly doesn't know what design really is.

3. mraak

@Sean

I almost agree with you 100%. Before iPhone, mobile users got to buy jpeg walpapers for their phones for £3 a piece and that was all the interaction phones offered. Often being spammed after first purchase with monthly subscriptions they weren't aware of. Plus the telcos were taking 50% of that for their stupid wap push technology, ads took another 30%, leaving 20% to content producer. Where's was Stallman then to complain about walled gardens?

Now for £3 I get 5 games, and the content producer gets to keep 70%, go figure...

Where I disagree with you is the fact that although Stallman is making an ignorant grumpy fool of himself, walled gardens aren't good.

5. Nick 10

Star Wars error

Han didn't use his light sabre - he used Luke's. As a non-Jedi, Han thought "Hookey religons and ancient weapons are no match for a blaster by your side."

1. Figgus

Hookey religons

I practice a hookey religion. I skip church every Sunday.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

in canada they have hockey religion.

6. hplasm
    Happy

"Oh Wow Oh Wow Oh Wow"

"FUNNY," Said the Voice from inside the hood. "THEY ALL SAY THAT WHEN EVER I SHOW UP." And he swung the glowing scythe over the bed...

7. TAGK

Are you sure it wasn't "ow, ow, ow!"?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Colombia?

*British* Colombia?

Painting the map pink again, eh?

This topic is closed for new posts.