back to article Music biz presses BT to block The Pirate Bay

BT has been asked by music industry outfit BPI to voluntarily block BitTorrent tracker website The Pirate Bay. "For too long The Pirate Bay has been allowed to attack the livelihoods of individual artists and session musicians. We hope that BT will voluntarily block this prolific, illegal site,” wrote the BPI in a missive …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MikeyD85
    Facepalm

TPB Comment of the Day

Support a great artist,

will seed for a while

2. Rob Crawford

How about

Mailing BT to have record company's taken off line for attacking the livelihoods of musicians doe to not paying the royalties due to them?

3. Pypes
    Stop

Oh the rehtoric!

"allowed to attack the livelihoods of individual artists "

Contrast that with the recording industry, that merely makes artists sign away their creative rights in exchange for a tiny cut of album sales (less expenses of course, and anything they can get away with calling promotional material.)

Artists can then use that income to pay off the huge sums of money generously "loaned" by the record label when they financed the recording in the first place, and the video, and all that promotion.

4. Coofer Cat

Don't be shy!

Comeon BPI, don't be shy - give us the full list of sites you want to block. Once you've done that, every man+dog will do the same, and our journey to the Dark Side will be complete.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Icon says it all. The sad reality is, internet censorship is a fact in the UK. All for the people's benefit, of course. (/sarcasm)

6. dave 93
    FAIL

And so it begins...

...but if it needs a court order each time then what is the point (unless it drains the BPI funds!)? And of course, Googling for TPB or entering the IP address directly will still work

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK Internet censorship now in full swing over a site legally offering hash files for free from a server in a foreign land. Where will the BPI/MPAA stop?

8. irish donkey
    Facepalm

Is Pirate still around

And if it is could somebody tell the powers that be that its as much use as buying rubbish chinese copies down the market

9. GrumpyJoe
    Thumb Down

And so the slippery slope is amply greased

How many more sites are going to find their way onto this list?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

well

Thinking of using plusnet, won't now

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Idiots

It constantly baffles me why these idiots think that a pathetic measure like this will work.

If you are reading this BPI, it won't make any difference whatsoever. Block as many sites as you want but until you can offer a reasonably priced easy to use service, piracy will carry on no matter whom you sue or which sites you block.

PS I'm not a BT subscriber so I shall carry on using TPB no matter what, but even if I were, I would still carry on using it, even if BT is stupid enough to accede to your request, because I know more about how to circumvent measures like this than you do about blocking access to sites.

So there.

12. richard 7
    FAIL

Hands up

All who saw this comming.

Oh BTW, Dear BPI/PRS/Otherscumbags.org Maybe you'll get more support when people arent trying to charge me £400 a year just to have a radio on in the workshop. Just a though?

13. Chris Hatfield
    FAIL

The greatest the film industry can actually achieve like this, will be about as powerful as pissing in an ocean.

Nerds will get around stuff, with ease. There are lots of nerds, even "closet nerds".

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We have a BT ADSL account at work and I tried Newzbin yesterday which was of course blocked. However, I pinged the hostname and received an IP address, I pasted the IP into the browser and it worked. I thought it would have been a more extensive than just plain DNS.

Here is to laughing at Record companies using their millions to try and propagate a dated and failing business model.

15. GatesFanbois
    FAIL

Oh noes the BT freetards won't be able to access TPB, unless they change there DNS or use a proxy but they'll never figure that out.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whatever shall we do?

Oh, wait

http://www.bing.com/search?q=list+of+dns+servers

So, next bit of sound and fury?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe try...

... isohunt instead?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just type an extra S

Use https:// instead of http://

19. guvna

let em have their way and block all what they want.

In these times of instant messaging, it'll be blocked on friday, and the ways to get around it will be available to the masses by the following monday. It's a futile attempt, but whatever makes them happy I suppose.

If there's something I want, usually I'll grab a torrent to check it out. However, I regularly purchase albums from Itunes, and actually have a sense of satisfaction that I've purchased it. Torrent deleted. I always used to buy cds. But these take up way too much space these days, so buying a digital copy is no different. I just have a huge tv where the cds used to be.

20. Lord Lien
    Pirate

BT...

... seems to be an easy ISP to hit if you want to try & block something. Wonder if they will bend over & do it.

@MD1500 adding a S will not work. Technology has moved on & it is possible for a device* to processes your HTTPS requests & read/log anything you do over "S". It would be safe to say that all tho BT don't do it, they could if the need ever arouse.

* I believe Fortigate Firewalls can do this, or thats what they said they could do when I went to a presentation they did for me last year. So if anyone can confirm this as fact or fiction, I would be eternally grateful :)

1. My Alter Ego
      FAIL

Um, how?

Sure, you could MITM any http traffic over ssl, but it would of course introduce certificate errors for the client. That kind of setup is fine for a corporate environment where you can ensure that every client trusts the certificate, but it's *impossible* to do it for every consumer.

Stanford has a presentation on it: http://crypto.stanford.edu/ssl-mitm/

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like blocking a site works, as we have just seen over here in Belgium where a court ordered Telenet and Belgacom to block 14 domains belonging to the Prate Bay. They just opened up a new site for Belgium, and that means everyone must go back to court again so the cycle can begin again.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If the judge isn't senile surely this would be laughed out of court. The MPAA haven't made any attempt to contact the seeders sharing the copyrighted works.

If the case succeeds then it should be possible to use it as a precedent to get Google similarly blocked. There is some copyrighted material on YouTube and I'm sure that Google, like the PirateBay, would not help to remove it no matter how many nice letters that they are sent.

This topic is closed for new posts.